suites class upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suites class upgrade?

Hi everyone, I'm new here, have been lurking for a while tho.
    I was just wondering whether it's possible to be upgraded to suites class? I flew SQ227 in suites last night, I checked expertflyer a day before and found out that I would be the only 1 there, 3 empty in business, and full load in ecomomy, I also confirmed it with the check-in agent.

I was really excited to be alone, coz my usual route mel-sin-nrt, suites class is never empty.. However, just 1 hour before departure, I checked expertflyer again, and there was another passenger in suites and no more empty seat in business.

I believe SQ very rarely upgrade passenger, let alone to suites class. I thought fine, maybe SQ upgraded a super elite, TPP/LPP to suites since there is no empty seat in other cabins. But when I saw her (that other passenger) on the plane, I really think she is just a normal passenger with no/low status, as she was really excited, kept taking pictures of the cabin, going around and do stuffs like a first-timers.

So I'm really curious on what basis did SQ upgrade that passenger. Does anyone here know? Thanks.

Originally posted by frolic View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, have been lurking for a while tho.
    I was just wondering whether it's possible to be upgraded to suites class? I flew SQ227 in suites last night, I checked expertflyer a day before and found out that I would be the only 1 there, 3 empty in business, and full load in ecomomy, I also confirmed it with the check-in agent.

I was really excited to be alone, coz my usual route mel-sin-nrt, suites class is never empty.. However, just 1 hour before departure, I checked expertflyer again, and there was another passenger in suites and no more empty seat in business.

I believe SQ very rarely upgrade passenger, let alone to suites class. I thought fine, maybe SQ upgraded a super elite, TPP/LPP to suites since there is no empty seat in other cabins. But when I saw her (that other passenger) on the plane, I really think she is just a normal passenger with no/low status, as she was really excited, kept taking pictures of the cabin, going around and do stuffs like a first-timers.

So I'm really curious on what basis did SQ upgrade that passenger. Does anyone here know? Thanks.
    I think you had made too many assumptions here?

But when I saw her (that other passenger) on the plane, I really think she is just a normal passenger with no/low status, as she was really excited, kept taking pictures of the cabin, going around and do stuffs like a first-timers.
    I am sure many SQTalkers are frequent fliers and do go around and take photos etc? And that is how Trip Reports are written on SQTAlk?

Could it be the pax paid for the upgrade with $$?

Comment

Checking the seatmap before departure isn't an accurate way of knowing the loads. The few remaining pax just haven't selected their seats yet and just showed up at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post

I am sure many SQTalkers are frequent fliers and do go around and take photos etc? And that is how Trip Reports are written on SQTAlk?
        I normally fly at night, so when on day flights my camera is out taking photos, even if I am not going to be using them for a trip report.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post

Could it be the pax paid for the upgrade with $$?
          Hmm.. I overheard her conversation with LSS and she said that it was her first time flying SQ first class, then afterwards, the LSS gave her a tour of the cabin.

But yeah, paid upgrade is a possibility considering the other cabins are full or maybe she urgently needed to go to Melbourne on that flight and bought the ticket last minute.

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
          Checking the seatmap before departure isn't an accurate way of knowing the loads. The few remaining pax just haven't selected their seats yet and just showed up at the airport.
          I confirmed it with check-in agent when I checked-in, and she said I'm gonna be the only 1 in suites.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciated it.

Comment

Seems you are jelly.

Comment

Could have been a compassionate/bereavement air fare if SQ do them.

Comment

Originally posted by frolic View Post
                Hmm.. I overheard her conversation with LSS and she said that it was her first time flying SQ first class, then afterwards, the LSS gave her a tour of the cabin.

But yeah, paid upgrade is a possibility considering the other cabins are full or maybe she urgently needed to go to Melbourne on that flight and bought the ticket last minute.

I confirmed it with check-in agent when I checked-in, and she said I'm gonna be the only 1 in suites.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciated it.
                U are welcome

There are many possibilities, and I guess only the pax and/or SQ knows abt it?

But then again, PPS value can also be earned on J-class, not only F-Class

Sorry to put through this 'grilling', but I doubt we had any malicious intent? It is just that a lot of pple in SQTalk are sharp in their reasoning?

Comment

SQ like all airlines do allow certain flyers advance seat allocations but such allocations are not as "generous" per se on us carriers where the norm is to select seats when booking.

Consequentially, you will find some empty seats when doing online check in but end up being full when boarding.

As policy, SQ never ever upgrades pax to Suites.

Comment

Many PAX buy seats at the airport on the day just before travel because of urgent meeting/family matter etc. 4 extra people booking flights in a day is pretty normal.. infact I would expect more. Probably likely that the woman was last to buy a seat and therefore was forced to buy a suite.

There are actually many reasons behind this. And you were pretty lucky not to have more in the cabin, 2 in suites must have been a great experience. Once when was flying ZRH-BKK in LX F, I checked the availability and it was showing F7 and J half full... later in the evening on the flight F was full and J still had loads of seats
                    Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Krisflyer online allowed for Standard Upgrades to Suites some time back. Not sure whether that's still possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                        Krisflyer online allowed for Standard Upgrades to Suites some time back. Not sure whether that's still possible.
                        How many miles needed?

Comment

Originally posted by webbyboy View Post
                          How many miles needed?
                          Look up the rates for Standard Upgrade Awards for the route you wanna fly...

Don't know whether that's still working, I don't have any Biz tickets currently for any A380 route...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            Also, some rows will be blocked off as taken by SQ, to be managed and doled out by the station manager/supervisor at check in.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                              Also, some rows will be blocked off as taken by SQ, to be managed and doled out by the station manager/supervisor at check in.
                              Yeah, I notice every time I book and fly, the number of seats blocked out by SQ keeps getting bigger, and I know it's not due to passengers selecting individually because its the exact same pattern on every flight with the same craft.

When it comes time to check in, the pattern shifts dramatically again and still has no resemblance to the distribution on the actual flight.

Realistically, seat selection must drive airlines mad, but it's what we all expect these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X