Confirmed: SQ to restart SQ21/22 to EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bon View Post
    The handicap lav is essentially 2 lavs that can be combined when needed.
    How does that work in practice? And is this a feature on any of the other plans as well?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
      How does that work in practice? And is this a feature on any of the other plans as well?
      The middle partition can be opened up for form a larger toilet which is handicap friendly.
      Its on all SQ Airbus planes and the 78J. The handicap toilets on the 777s are on the side of the plane if I'm not wrong.

Comment

Cabin Crew Rotation

Some of you have asked how crew rotation worked on the former SIN-LAX/EWR flights. I flew SQ20 (later renamed SQ38) and SQ22 on a number of occasions a decade ago and this what what happened then.

Each flight was served by two sets of crew. Let's call them Team A and Team B. This was how the teams were deployed.

Take-Off: Team A and Team B on duty
        Period 1: Team A on duty, Team B resting
        Period 2: Team B on duty, Team A resting
        Period 3: Team A on duty, Team B resting
        Period 4: Team B on duty, Team A resting
        Landing: Team A and Team B on duty

Each period lasted approximately 3.5 to 4 hours and the teams took turns to serve passengers. During the periods immediately after take-off and just before landing (lasting approximately 30 to 60 minutes each), both teams were around.

Given that the flight times on Airbus A359ULR will roughly mirror those on the A345, I expect to see the same arrangement.

Comment

Also, someone said the A345 were trained exclusively for this fleet. I'm not sure where he/she heard this but I heard a completely different story.

From what I understood, the cabin crew were trained and mostly deployed in other aircraft types (the B777 and B747 then). The cross-training offered for the A345 was on top of training for these "normal" fleets. These specially-trained crew served on SQ20/22 only about once a month.

I chatted with cabin crew a lot during my flying days (and I still do now, though to a lesser extent, as a Grabhitch driver). There is no way a FA can be deployed exclusively on these 16- or 18-hour direct flights. Nobody wouldn't be able to take the physical stress and jet lag.

Any crew member today does a mix of long-haul (eg. SIN-LHR), regional (eg. SIN-PVG) and turnaround (eg. SIN-CGK-SIN) flights in any given month.

Hope the above helps.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
            I definitely don't want to go from EWR to JFK! I'm sure proper onward connections will become available for booking in the near future.

One thing I like about SQ26 is that immigration at JFK is usually a breeze, and I'm usually out the other side in ten minutes. The one time it took much longer was when we were delayed ex-SIN by three hours, and the lines were horrible.

Does anybody know how crowded immigration is at EWR when SQ22 is scheduled to land?
            JFK terminal was a nightmare to me. I was enroute on SQ26 and upon arrival at airport, the crowd was so huge that you virtually couldn't see where's the queue and what people were queueing for. It was so bad and passengers couldn't enter the airport anymore. Suddenly, a policeman had appeared from no where and started to direct a huge mass of people to somewhere. He checked our passports, had board scanned and there you go. You would reach the gate in no time and a big a380 was waiting. What a breeze! But, no bag went through the X-ray at all......

Comment

^^
              I believe that unlike EWR, JFK has these automated passport control machines also open to foreigners travelling on a variety of visas (including B1 and B2).

Comment

I don't like the new timings ex-SIN. I used to really like that 'day' flight, which used to leave SIN at midday and arrive late afternoon same day in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                  JFK terminal was a nightmare to me.
                  That is quite unusual for SQ25. It's generally as smooth as it ever gets at a US airport (i.e. not great but not as terrible as that).

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                  ^^
                  I believe that unlike EWR, JFK has these automated passport control machines also open to foreigners travelling on a variety of visas (including B1 and B2).
                  I think the machines are being rolled out to all (?) US airports, so I would expect EWR to get them too. Haven't been to EWR in over ten years though, but traveling on ESTA I typically manage to clear immigration in ten minutes at JFK off of SQ26.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  I don't like the new timings ex-SIN. I used to really like that 'day' flight, which used to leave SIN at midday and arrive late afternoon same day in New York.
                  Having given this some thought, I think I agree. While we now have the choice of a morning or evening departure ex-US, there is no such flexibility ex-SIN. The connection timings I'm seeing at EWR for onward flights on UA are quite poor; with SQ22 arriving at 5:30am, the first valid connection to BOS shows up at 10am. Hm.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    You're not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post

Having given this some thought, I think I agree. While we now have the choice of a morning or evening departure ex-US, there is no such flexibility ex-SIN. The connection timings I'm seeing at EWR for onward flights on UA are quite poor; with SQ22 arriving at 5:30am, the first valid connection to BOS shows up at 10am. Hm.
                      I used to do SQ22 and connect to Washington, DC, so similar. But after a while I found it was faster, more convenient and more comfortable to do the last leg on Amtrak. That’s one of the great perks about Newark airport, it’s a short walk thru the terminal to catch the train. Have you looked into that?

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                        I used to do SQ22 and connect to Washington, DC, so similar. But after a while I found it was faster, more convenient and more comfortable to do the last leg on Amtrak. That’s one of the great perks about Newark airport, it’s a short walk thru the terminal to catch the train. Have you looked into that?
                        No, I hadn't as my mental map refuses to include trains for some reason. I did check the Amtrak schedules just now, but it's not an improvement.

I guess I'll try to shower and change in the lounge at EWR before connecting... should get to the office before noon that way. Of course, I say this with too much optimism and too little knowledge of the lounges at EWR.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                          Also, someone said the A345 were trained exclusively for this fleet. I'm not sure where he/she heard this but I heard a completely different story.

From what I understood, the cabin crew were trained and mostly deployed in other aircraft types (the B777 and B747 then). The cross-training offered for the A345 was on top of training for these "normal" fleets. These specially-trained crew served on SQ20/22 only about once a month.

I chatted with cabin crew a lot during my flying days (and I still do now, though to a lesser extent, as a Grabhitch driver). There is no way a FA can be deployed exclusively on these 16- or 18-hour direct flights. Nobody wouldn't be able to take the physical stress and jet lag.

Any crew member today does a mix of long-haul (eg. SIN-LHR), regional (eg. SIN-PVG) and turnaround (eg. SIN-CGK-SIN) flights in any given month.

Hope the above helps.
                          Perhaps to clarify what i said:

345crew are an exclusive bunch, cross-trained on other aircraft too. They would also fly the other routes, on top of the ULR flights.

However, the bulk of the rest of the pool are not trained on the 345, hence they cannot operate these ULR flights.

Therefore they would have to swap these 345 flights specifically within the 345 pool. Hence it happens frequently that they do 3x ULR back to back to back.

The same thing is happening now for the pioneer batch of 787-trained crew. Due to the lack of 787trained crew, the operating pool for the 787 flights are limited in number, hence they are "forced" to do multiple 787 rotations when the manning drops.

Comment

Promotion fare, return fare of premium economy at $1988.

Comment

Thats a "steal" as imagine a non peak PEY fare from sin to MEL return {total 14 hours flight) is already $1,700 and usually its like about $2k. To Newark and back is like 38 hours long. Actually for ultra-long haul, dont think the yield is as good as the shorter 8 to 12 hours flights in terms of revenue per km. Plus the operational costs of a ultra long flight is higher considering double the tech crew and that the aircraft carries a third less seats than the standard aircraft.

Comment

Singapore Airlines: healthy 'wellness' meals for non-stop NY flights

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...tm_source=hero

Singapore Airlines will join Qantas in putting 'wellness' on the menu for ultra long-range flights, beginning with the launch of its 19 hour non-stop flights to New York on October 11, 2018.

The Star Alliance member will partner with US wellness firm Canyon Ranch for an extensive program covering not just meals but flexible meal times, along with relaxation, rest and general well-being.
                                The non-stop flight between Singapore and New York will see three main meals serves, with snacks in between, although business class travellers will be able to eat whenever they choose.

Premium economy passengers will see the first meal served just after take-off, with a second several hours into the flight and a third meal before landing, although there will also be the option to be served at different times.

Comment

Working...
                                X