No announcement yet.

Changi Airport to stop announcing final calls for boarding, paging for late pax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi Airport to stop announcing final calls for boarding, paging for late pax

With effect from January 1, 2018.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...aging-for-late
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Good.
    It should be the pax responsibility to catch their flight not the airport.

Comment

I agree it is a good move.

If there is a need for pax to get a reminder, airlines, or the airport, should introduce an app on a mobile phone that will buzz a reminder. Or even allow passengers to set a phone number, and receive a call or SMS when it is close to time to boarding time.

I think there is a good opportunity for an innovative e-service here.

Comment

I think Changi must try to make wifi more easily accessible for those who do not have a local phone. The need for an OTP makes it unnecessarily complicated for some who are not technically aware and who are not well-versed in English. So this makes it harder to deliver an e-service reliably to everyone without exception.

Comment

SQ did call me on my mobile when I was still not at the gate 15 (or 20 min) before the departure time.
          visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
            SQ did call me on my mobile when I was still not at the gate 15 (or 20 min) before the departure time.
            I once got a call on my mobile from one of the SQ ground staff at ICN while I was on my way to Incheon Airport on Dec 23 a few years back. I had checked in online, but because of massive traffic jams caused by snow and the end of year peak travel season, I was late to arrive at the airport and missed the counter check-in cutoff time by just a few min.

On the phone, I informed him that I was almost at the airport, and he waited at the check-in counter past the official check-in close time, and helped check me in, along with my checked luggage, before accompanying me at a fast jog to the security line. And thanks to that, I made my flight (Which left on time) and did not miss Christmas at home.

Needless to say, I sent a thank you note to SQ, complimenting the staff member by name, for taking such good care of a passenger (in Y!).

Comment

I came out of HKG on Tuesday and, to be honest, I didn't even notice there were no announcements being made.

I do think it's important to keep passengers up to date via either SMS or in-App especially with any delays or even early boarding. I was with MU two weeks ago doing HKG-SHA-BUS return and on all except the final sector, we pushed back 10min early despite quite full loads. I was therefore disappointed with my final flight ONLY leaving on time.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                I came out of HKG on Tuesday and, to be honest, I didn't even notice there were no announcements being made.

I do think it's important to keep passengers up to date via either SMS or in-App especially with any delays or even early boarding. I was with MU two weeks ago doing HKG-SHA-BUS return and on all except the final sector, we pushed back 10min early despite quite full loads. I was therefore disappointed with my final flight ONLY leaving on time.
                They're only stopping announcements for regular flight departures and passengers who are late.
                There will still be announcements for flights whose timings are changed, as well as gate changes.

I agree. I see no point in having announcements unless there is something significant to take note of like a change in departure time...

If you know you have a tendency to be late for your flights, set a reminder in your phone or learn how to use a watch

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                  There are plenty of trilingual announcements for gate changes, delays and security reminders at HKG. IMO they’re even more apparent than Changi’s.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    I agree it is a good move.

If there is a need for pax to get a reminder, airlines, or the airport, should introduce an app on a mobile phone that will buzz a reminder. Or even allow passengers to set a phone number, and receive a call or SMS when it is close to time to boarding time.

I think there is a good opportunity for an innovative e-service here.
                    NZ already does this via their app, with a message once boarding is about to commence.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                      Wow what an end of an era. Too many memories of Changi airport with this. That said, I think it's a wonderful move unless you have such a tight connection (i.e. SQ31 to an India bound flight).

In either case I always plan properly and go to the gate 1 hour before departure for any flight departing.

Comment

Working...
                      X