KIX Sky View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIX Sky View

Has anyone been to the Sky View observation deck at KIX? I'm wondering what the chances are of getting a good view of SQ619 as it takes off or whether the view isn't worth a special trip to KIX. The architecture interests me too, somewhat more than the planespotting.

I've thought of heading there but haven't got round to going out. Might give it a try next time I land there and check it out.

If you do go let us know how it is

Comment

I will do. Finally found all the information I need to visit using Google translate (which sometimes renders some bizarre results going Japanese -> English!) so I should be out there for an hour one morning next month. There's quite a queue of international departures around 11:00 with a wide variety of airlines and aircraft so now I just have to hope for good weather.

Comment

From the pics, it looks quite a distance from the main terminal. Is there a bus from there?

Comment

There is a shuttle bus from the terminal. Not sure of the frequency though
          http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/s...ers/index.html

Comment

It's actually really confusing to work out the shuttle bus because there are two. One goes via Sky Plaza to some kind of brand outlet shopping centre and is not free but it's the only one that the airport webpage takes you to (eventually).

When you google the SkyView itself you get almost nothing but Tripadvisor had the link posted and there's a large set of pages on the official KIX site about the place but only in Japanese (although the banner at the top of the pages is in English). However, you can't navigate to these pages from anywhere on the English version of the KIX site...

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/skyview/skyview.htm

The shuttle bus runs every 20 minutes, every day, from 8:00 to 22:00 which are the opening hours of the observation deck. They leave from Bus Stop 1 at T1 ground floor at 00/20/40 past the hour and leave SkyView at 10/30/50. On certain days they run every 10 minutes during family friendly hours. Trip time is approx. 10 minutes in each direction.

There's an avation enthusiast gift shop, flight simulators, "in flight" dining experiences where they actually serve you meals while sitting in plane seats modelled on the Concorde cabin (yes Business and First menu options are available but you need to book!) but the cafe/restaurant hours aren't very extensive compared to the observation deck.

I believe you can also take a behind the scenes tour of KIX from there in a mini-bus on weekends but it's only in Japanese, as is the website but Google does a reasonably good job of translating.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              It's actually really confusing to work out the shuttle bus because there are two. One goes via Sky Plaza to some kind of brand outlet shopping centre and is not free but it's the only one that the airport webpage takes you to (eventually).
              Sky Plaza is not where you want to go. It's back across the bridge on the mainland. It's a brand outlet place. Great for the ladies though if their husbands want to boring stuff like plane spotting.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                Sky Plaza is not where you want to go. It's back across the bridge on the mainland. It's a brand outlet place. Great for the ladies though if their husbands want to boring stuff like plane spotting.
                I know, I almost got tricked into heading there by the website too!

I know that now I'm definitely heading to the Observation Hall at the north end of the runway.

Comment

Waiting for 10am FREE shuttle bus to Sky View.

Stop number 1 just outside arrivals hall.

Runs in 20 minute intervals

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    Waiting for 10am FREE shuttle bus to Sky View.

Stop number 1 just outside arrivals hall.

Runs in 20 minute intervals
                    I was on the 10:20 shuttle bus today. Couldn't have been easier to find the bus stop and get there, all free of charge. The shuttle bus operates with the standard Japanese degree of punctuality, so no fears it could delay one for getting back for a flight! Fortunately for me though, I was visiting KIX purely for recreational purposes.

Great view of aircraft taxiing from one side of the terminal to the other and then they took off directly toward the observation deck. I managed to be there to see SQ619 depart. Probably a challenging exercise for the second day I've ever used a camcorder, but I think I've got enough footage to edit something together to show soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      I was on the 10:20 shuttle bus today. Couldn't have been easier to find the bus stop and get there, all free of charge. The shuttle bus operates with the standard Japanese degree of punctuality, so no fears it could delay one for getting back for a flight! Fortunately for me though, I was visiting KIX purely for recreational purposes.

Great view of aircraft taxiing from one side of the terminal to the other and then they took off directly toward the observation deck. I managed to be there to see SQ619 depart. Probably a challenging exercise for the second day I've ever used a camcorder, but I think I've got enough footage to edit something together to show soon.
                      Great stuff SQ228. Might give it a visit next time I arrive there

Comment

Working...
                      X