Hotels in Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotels in Delhi

Hi there - haven't posted for a while but wanted to seek the wisdom of this board. I'm in New Delhi for a wedding in December (first trip to India) and am weighing up the following hotels for a 4 night stay:

- Leela Palace
    - Taj Palace
    - ITC Maurya

Location of the hotel is not that important, but the missus would say that the "luxe" feel is important. The prices for the Taj and the ITC Maurya is about the same, while Leela is a fraction more expensive - but the difference is negligible.

Intending to use the stay 4th night free benefit from Citibank to provide better value but am conscious that 4 nights in a hotel is a relatively long time. Would rather love the experience than regret a choice, so grateful for any tips!

Thanks much all.

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
    Hi there - haven't posted for a while but wanted to seek the wisdom of this board. I'm in New Delhi for a wedding in December (first trip to India) and am weighing up the following hotels for a 4 night stay:

- Leela Palace
    - Taj Palace
    - ITC Maurya
    Hi kelvgoh! If you had put this question to me 10 years ago, I would have had all the answers for you, because at that time I was spending a lot of time in India and New Delhi. Right now, my info isn't very current, but here are some opinions anyway.

Of the three, I have stayed at the ITC Maurya many times. It is in the diplomatic area, just across the street from the Taj Palace. Bill Clinton and George W Bush both stayed at the ITC Maurya for their visits to India. And this newspaper article says that Obama stayed there too on his recent visit. The Maurya has fantastic restaurants, including Dum Pukht and Bukhara. Rooms and service are great.

I've not stayed at the Taj Palace, but I have dined there. It is also a top hotel, although you would want to ensure that the rooms are renovated, since it is not a new hotel. Neither is the ITC Maurya for that matter, but I believe both the ITC Maurya and Taj Palace would have undergone regular renovations.

The Leela Palace is the newest of the three hotels you have listed, and while I have not stayed at that specific property, it does look to be quite impressive.

Of the three, I would suggest Leela Palace as first choice, mainly because it is the newest of the three, followed by the ITC Maurya as 2nd choice, mainly because of the outstanding restaurants there, especially Bukhara, which is a must-visit even if you are not staying at the ITC Maurya, and because I think between the Maurya and Taj Palace, the Maurya is just a little more distinctive.
    Last edited by yflyer; 7 June 2016, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks yflyer for your thoughts!

Comment

Hi Kelvgoh,

Have you checked TripAdvisor on the photos of these hotels?

I have only stayed at the Taj Palace and I really liked it. The room interior is not classical opulent - it's more modern ( something like SQ F lounge at T3 type kind of style). I think deluxe category rooms and above are renovated this way.

The other two I think is more classical classical opulent (like a replica of Versailles). From the photos, rooms look pretty standard sized 30-35 sqm. I think the Taj has got larger rooms. Personally I prefer bigger rooms esp if there are two guests.

I am not a fan of the Taj Palace public areas. I think it's huge and impersonal.
        The Leela is probably the best in terms of it and it's also the newest. And ITC does have the best F&B.

Service-wise, Taj is the best. No competition.

I think I would rate Taj first followed by Leela then ITC. Taj is modern luxe, has large rooms and renovated. Leela is very new. ITC has great food but you can drop by even if not staying there.
        Last edited by SQueeze; 10 June 2016, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much SQueeze! Using your TRs as inspiration for the trip!

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
            Thanks very much SQueeze! Using your TRs as inspiration for the trip!
            Including taking the trains? hahaha

You can post or PM me in case any questions.

Comment

Working...
            X