Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jammed View Post
    yflyer you shd begin to do reviews for Run magazines too Good coverage on the the new route.
    Thanks, jammed! No plan to start a blog or diversify into reviewing running routes either! I think anyone on a serious running website would be appalled at what counts as my "diet"...

I have never taken part in a mass running event either. Not even the Star Wars run yesterday, which seems to have been a lot of fun. Some of my friends are addicted to these runs, tri/bi-athlons, and even ultra's, which seem to be getting more and more popular (and frequent.).

I dont think I'll try running a flat no-end-in-sight-oh-the-horizon-is-so-faraway route.
    I crave runs that end (or never seem to end) at a point in the horizon. My ideal route is a straight line from start to finish, ideally by the sea or along a river...or one along a forest or jungle trail flanked by vegetation where you cannot see anything ahead at all...

I might if I'm 18 year old again and a particular sadistic PTI is shouting down at me, but (I'm glad) that's past.
    Hmmm...I think my running habits were also influenced by what happened when I was around 18-19, and yes many of those memories involve PTI's really great people when you get to know them, but very different when they stand in front of a bunch of unfit guys on a field...

Good timing you have I must add, in view of the late PM heat
    Thanks! That said, compared to this guy, I think I was barely moving...
    Last edited by yflyer; 7 May 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Out for a midday run along East Coast Park on an overcast Christmas Eve, today, just as 9V-SMT, SQ's 20th A350, was landing after her delivery flight from Toulouse.

As I had prior heads up of SQ8895's arrival timing from SQKevin and another SQTalker, I checked Flightradar24 periodically on my run, and literally sprinted to the end of the jetty just minutes before 9V-SMT passed by on her final approach to Runway 02C.

Just my iPhone with me, so no close-ups, and of course the rego was not visible but this was the only A350 scheduled to arrive around that time.

The landing was on Runway 02C, which gave it a flight path a lot further from the coastline than aircraft landing on 02L. The aircraft would have been much closer to the jetty, and the pics much better, if it was landing on 02L like several aircraft earlier in the day.

And a final pic, at 10x digital zoom, just prior to touchdown at 1.11pm...

Welcome home, 9V-SMT!

Last edited by yflyer; 24 December 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Aren't you lucky the landing was on 02C. Imagine if it was on 20C instead. We wouldn't be here admiring your pictures! Anyhow, thanks for your conscientious effort in taking these photos, yflyer!
        Last edited by SQ22; 2 January 2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
          Aren't you lucky the landing was on 02C. Imagine if it was on 20C instead. We wouldn't be here admiring your pictures! Anyhow, thanks for your conscientious effort in taking these photos, yflyer!
          I am always happy when aircraft land on 02C or 02L, whether I am on the ground or on the plane! Onboard, you get much better views of Singapore out of the left hand windows when they land in that direction.

I live in the East, and end up along East Coast Park (And Bedok Jetty) on a regular basis when I head out for runs. The past few days, many landings in the afternoon and evening have been on 02L, which means great views of planes for those along the park. The planes landing pass directly over the jogging/cycling track further up along East Coast Park, close to the sailing centre.

Comment

Great post yflyer. Tanah Merah Coast is unfamiliar to me but I have been to Changi Coast Road before. Some of those views of the boats/harbor are what I have seen when I went to Sentosa last year in January.

Comment

Changi Coast Road holds many fond memories for me. I used to gawk at planes up close from Emergency Gate E2. Many a time, I had a patrol police car come up to me, before being questioned by young men in blue and issued warnings.

Now that Tanah Merah Coast Road is in operation, we plane spotters have lost the chance to see planes up close. Unfortunately, we don't have almost unimpeded access to the runways unlike the lucky folks at MAN.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                Great post yflyer. Tanah Merah Coast is unfamiliar to me but I have been to Changi Coast Road before. Some of those views of the boats/harbor are what I have seen when I went to Sentosa last year in January.
                Thanks, SQfanatic...Sentosa is more South than East, so the views from Sentosa may have been similar, but are of a different part of the coast line. Nice views from Sentosa too, of course. Planning to go for a run on Sentosa some time soon too, but haven't gotten round to it.

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                Changi Coast Road holds many fond memories for me. I used to gawk at planes up close from Emergency Gate E2. Many a time, I had a patrol police car come up to me, before being questioned by young men in blue and issued warnings.

Now that Tanah Merah Coast Road is in operation, we plane spotters have lost the chance to see planes up close. Unfortunately, we don't have almost unimpeded access to the runways unlike the lucky folks at MAN.
                The old Changi Coast Road also holds many memories for me...agree it used to be a great spot for plane watching. As a child, I remember being a passenger in a car going along that road, with windows wound down, as a BA 747 roared past as it rotated and took off...a real shock and awe moment.

I always enjoyed my runs along that road, watching the comings and goings of aircraft as I jogged along that seemingly endless straight stretch.

The new Tanah Merah Coast Road is a different beast altogether. No planes alongside, and very VERY quiet -- if you want solitude, peace and quiet, then that is the place to run.

Comment

Couldn't have agreed more. The views were more from the Cable Car they take you around. I was lucky to have had a sunny Saturday when I was in Singapore last year; most of the other times there's been a mix of sun, clouds, and even rain.

Looking forward to pics if you do go to Sentosa, yflyer

Comment

Qantas A380s are back!

On my regular jogs along East Coast Park and Bedok Jetty yesterday, and happened to see yesterday's QF2 LHR-SIN landing on Changi at around 5.37pm, on a short stop before continuing on to Sydney.

Qantas A380's have been back on this route since 25 March 2018. Nice to see QF A380's back in Singapore after a 5 year break where DXB was the previous stopover between SYD and LHR.

Once again, only had my iPhone with me, so had to be content with a very limited zoom.

Qantas has not yet revamped their A380 cabin products since launching this aircraft type. Qantas A380 J is fully flat 2-2-2, and is in need of an update, but Qantas A380 Y remains an excellent, and very comfortable, seat. I have not flown Qantas A380 PEY in a while, but when I did try it, I was truly impressed -- almost business-lite.

Great to have the Qantas whalejet back as an option to get to London and/or Sydney.
                    Last edited by yflyer; 31 March 2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• I was back at Bedok Jetty today. After subjecting everyone here to fuzzy cellphone pictures of planes landing, which never did justice to the view, I finally headed to Bedok Jetty on a bike, with a proper camera, and a 300mm zoom lens.

Still not spotter-quality (I think you need between 600-1000mm lenses, or greater, for professional shots) but a 300mm telephoto is just about enough to capture nice shots of planes as they land.

Quite hot at 12.30pm today...

Of course I was there at that hour, baking in the sun, for a reason: to catch 9V-SCB, SQ's second 787-10, landing after operating SQ973 from BKK...
                      Last edited by yflyer; 11 April 2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Some pics, taken today, at around 12.50pm, of 9V-SCB on final approach. Just pictures for now -- no commentary required...enjoy!

\\

Last edited by yflyer; 11 April 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• You can just make-out the rego...9V-SCB...

Comment

• Nice. Thanks for sharing your shots yflyer

Comment

• Great shots of the Bedok Jetty and the 787-10. Thanks again yflyer

Comment

• Thanks, SQ218 and SQfanatic!

The day before those 787-10 pics, I was there in the evening with my camera as well, and took a few more from the Jetty, as well as further East the cycle track, almost under the flight path of the landing jets.

SQ A350...

CX A330 and A350 in new livery...

Jetstar A320...

SQ 77W...

Dusk...

Comment

Working...
                                X