Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a week in and around Osaka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a week in and around Osaka?

Time to burn some miles as I have a week to spare in Apr and thinking of spending a week in and around Osaka with my wifey.

Problem is that neither of us speak Japanese or read Chinese.

Any suggestions on what we can do (love food, nice places to stay - maybe a good ryokan?).

TIA!

Hmmm I didnt like Osaka a great deal when I was there... more happens at night time and I though it was harder to find nicer things to do in Osaka... Just my opinion, others might like it more than I did

Osaka-jo is errr nice and bad at the same time, very ancient famous castle, the elevator inside is a low point but I did get some nice paintings outside for about $5 each.... but the whole elevator idea made me feel angry

The food is quite good in Osaka, Okanomoyaki was very good as was the takoyaki.. get it off the streets !

Go to the Umeda sky tower at night which offers some great views at night time!

The main shopping strip is also good at night time Dotonbori is the name where you can see the giant crab and Glica signs.....

in terms of Ryokan, no idea sorry I was living cheap and stayed in a backpackers

In terms of you or your wife not speaking japanese or reading chinese you will be fine.... Osaka is very, very used to tourists
    Ive flown SQ and I adore it

Comment

Thanks, Bryan. Good photos!

Comment

Planning a trip to Osaka in the next 3 months to visit some old friends... Any ideas for a boy's night out??
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
          Planning a trip to Osaka in the next 3 months to visit some old friends... Any ideas for a boy's night out??
          errr if you head to the main shopping strip called Dotonbori there are plenty of young Japanese girls dressed in skimpy clothing* who im sure would be very willing to entertain some boys on their night out

* it was quite cold when I was in Osaka and they were still dressed in skimpy clothing
          Ive flown SQ and I adore it

Comment

Osaka is an industrial nightmare IMO.....very edgy, almost dirty! If you want fashion, culture, etc. most people head to Kobe and Kyoto and Nara which are short train rides away. If you want a castle and go before March I would suggest going to Himeji as it is an original castle unlike Osaka which is a re-construction! Religious monuments in Nara and Kyoto.....The food of Osaka is quite low-brow in comparison to Kyoto. The food in Kobe is heavily influenced by Europe/China with Kobe boasting a great selection of cafe and Chinese restaurants (if you are of Chinese decent you might not find the food that great).

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_sq View Post
              * it was quite cold when I was in Osaka and they were still dressed in skimpy clothing
              No brain, no pain??

Thanks for the head-up though...
              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

i agree with QSG - Base yourself in Osaka, and do Himeji, Nara and Kyoto. If you want a more rustic experience, try visiting Mount Koya (Koyasan).

Perhaps you can give an indication of how long you might want to spend in each city so we can make a couple of recommendations?

Comment

I work, live, and was born in Kobe/Osaka area. There seriously isn't much to do in Osaka.

If you want those special places at night (depending on how dirty you want to get ) I can ask my friends who love those places .

I would go with others to head over to Kyoto(temples), Kobe(shopping/nice dating spots), Nara for day trips. Also if you have extra time i would venture out to Hiroshima(1 hour by bullet train) for a day trip also. You can easily see the Atomic Bomb site and Miyajima.

If you want to try Onsen (hot springs) in the Kansai area. I would suggest going to Arima onsen one of the famous ones in Japan. It is a 1 hour bus ride from Osaka station. Or if you have never tried riding cable cars you can do it from Rokko. If you need more details on how to ride train I can help you just PM me

Comment

Perhaps I'm not cultured but I love Osaka (which I've been to about 4-5 times now) for its food (not only the standard okonomiyaki, udon, takoyaki etc but I've also tried blowfish liver, raw horsemeat, raw chicken innards and whale; but it's a shame that sushi is better elsewhere in Japan) and its energy and buzz! The people also seem down to earth and friendly. It's great to visit an izakaya for some good cheap food and knock back a few beers. As far as off the beaten track day trips from Osaka are concerned, I asked the question on TOF:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ips-osaka.html

(In the end, I couldn't go as I dislocated my ankle.)

Quite unlike Kyoto where the folks seemed to be a bit aloof and cold. Kaiseki in Kyoto is nice to look at but - to me at least - it lacks any strong flavours (I'm told that I need to appreciate the taste of dashi). I also got bored with days and days of temple after temple. So whilst I wouldn't hesitate to visit Osaka again, I'm not so sure about Kyoto (there are some ryokans there considered amongst the best in Japan though).

I've only spent a few hours in Nara and never been to Kobe so can't comment on those places. Hiroshima was nice (the people seemed noticeably friendly and I can feast on oysters) and Miyajima relaxing (we stayed in a ryokan there in the deer park). We did Himeji as a stop for a few hours on our way somewhere (the castle is a short walk from the JR station and a pleasant way to spend a few hours). Koyasan was peaceful and an experience (particularly for me the walk through the vast graveyard and the temple lodging).

fumi, I will be sure to one day take up your kind offer of a tour around the special places you mention!
                    Last edited by jhm; 25 January 2010, 08:08 PM.

Comment

LOL! Naughty, naughty...

Anyway, my suggestion is... drop Osaka and go to Kobe. It's my most fave place in Japan by far. fumitani, you're one lucky bugger... I will be sure to pay you a visit the next time I'm there! hehe

Kyoto's too docile, Osaka's too urban. If I had more time I'd also check out Hiroshima and I'm told Nara is peaceful with lots of old Japanese heritage + culture (friend living there)...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Kaiseki in Kyoto is nice to look at but - to me at least - it lacks any strong flavours (I'm told that I need to appreciate the taste of dashi).
                        Actually as I was discussing with someone else, Osaka is kind of 下町in comparison to Kyoto and Kobe. And the "kaiseki" anywhere is more often than not delicately flavoured (bordering on flavorless).....if you want heavily seasoned food you won't find it in Kyoto....now in Q Shoe it is another matter completely ! On my last trip to Osaka in December I found that "buzz" gone.....also in Tokyo for that matter....And that buzz is sadly harder and harder to find these days!

Comment

Kyo, why Kobe ? I read that it's a very cosmopolitan place ? Or do you have a shoe fetish ?

QSG, perhaps you're too well travelled and jaded to find your "buzz" anymore. For me, everything is still new including the soapy places mentioned above.

For a trip from Osaka, I forgot to mention Miyama in Kyoto prefecture for rural postcard images with thatched houses etc. It's about 2 hours drive IIRC and a bit tedious by public transport (train plus bus journey) so possibly a 1-night trip (I stayed the night and had dinner in a Japanese farmhouse type restaurant sitting around the fireplace).

Comment

jhm: Why Kobe? More like, why not Kobe? Go and see what I mean..!

Amongst many other reasons, here's a culinary one - the same reason I went to Norway... for salmon. It's the best in the world. And Kobe is world-famous for... Kobe beef. Where better to eat Kobe beef than in Kobe? I've since been back twice!

There's also the beauty of the town at night. Go check out Mosaic. It's a very convenient city to get around, especially if you're staying at the Kobe Oriental Merikenpark (free shuttle services into the heart of the city and top-notch service... beware that it is very pricey and check-in at 3pm is strictly enforced) which is right on the water and the definitive icon of this port city.

(Also, if you're into Jap coffee, there's a UCC centre, great for coffee fanatics..)

Comment

Nice discussion and exchange of ideas. Thanks everybody.

Actually, I wanted to burn some miles this April as I have a week or so to idle. My wife and I have never been to Japan and so we thought it'd be a good place to visit.

Unfortunately, despite a long string of wait-listed bookings created, I've not got any nearer to a confirmed redemption ticket to Tokyo. Osaka ticket possible but tight. Nagoya redemption ticket readily available. Hmmm... possible option? Since in reality, most of the places you guys mentioned are within shooting distance via rail, right?

I heard Sakura week likely to be in the 3rd week of April this year for Osaka and surrounds. Would be a lovely time to visit.

Nonetheless, I am exploring other possiblities. Anywhere in the world. Except USA... heee....

Comment

Working...
                              X