State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    Their feeling is that if Thailand takes over (which wouldn't be too hard), the suffering of the people via the government corruption would at least be minimized to a great degree. Their words, not mine.
    One of the most bizarre things I think I've heard !!!!.

If they think Thailand is corruption free, then they are quite frankly away with the fairies. Minimising corruption is sadly not high on the list (in fact isn't even on the list) of a large number of people in authority there.

Comment

Well, I will be in BKK tonight, catching this evening SQ flight at 1800 hrs from SIN. Will be in Silom area, then next morning driver will send me to a location near Pattaya before returning back to BKK in the evening. First flight out of BKK on Sunday.

Hope nothing happen during my short time there...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Silom will be fine.

Hope you stay safe in Pattaya..

Comment

Their feeling is that if Thailand takes over (which wouldn't be too hard), the suffering of the people via the government corruption would at least be minimized to a great degree. Their words, not mine.
          Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

If they think Thailand is corruption free, then they are quite frankly away with the fairies. Minimising corruption is sadly not high on the list (in fact isn't even on the list) of a large number of people in authority there.
          I have to agree that this notion is bizarre! These people are suggesting (and supportive of the idea) that a conflict would lead to a wholesale occupation of the country by Thailand?? That this would be permitted by the populace of both countries and the international community?? And on the premise that this would help eradicate corruption???

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            I have to agree that this notion is bizarre! These people are suggesting (and supportive of the idea) that a conflict would lead to a wholesale occupation of the country by Thailand?? That this would be permitted by the populace of both countries and the international community?? And on the premise that this would help eradicate corruption???

Wow.
            Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. What they were saying was that the corruption is so bad in Cambodia, that they are willing to entertain ANYTHING else. With the recent (and past) conflicts with Thailand, many welcome a takeover. Again, their words, not mine.

I do know it's bad in both countries.
            Last edited by HUGE AL; 18 October 2008, 03:33 PM.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. What they were saying was that the corruption is so bad in Cambodia, that they are willing to entertain ANYTHING else. With the recent (and past) conflicts with Thailand, many welcome a takeover. Again, their words, not mine.
              I didn't find the sentiment all that bizarre. I've heard people during the Marcos years wish for any kind of regime change, just because it was difficult to imagine anything worse. A foreign invasion wouldn't be excluded from those scenarios.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Just returned from Bangkok after a quick "hardworking". No pics taken.

Stayed at the Tawana, which is smack in the middle of Suriwongse, 100 metres from the entrance to Soi Patpong. No, I did not even step into that place.

Very surprising, I arrived about 7.30 pm, and was driven to the hotel,.... arrive at about 8 pm at Suriwongse and there was no traffic.... completely clear. Went past Patpong, and it was almost empty, bizzare.... for those who do not know, Patpong is usually crowded, packed to the gills.... but over last weekend, it was like a ghost town.

Checked inot the hotel and noted that it was quiet in the hotel too.... my colleague and I were the only two guest on the floor that we were put in.

Had a private party with a Thai friend at a place called The Bank, about 15 guys and 20 gals..... it was a drunken xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, which I sshall not elaborate here...

I was telling my Thai friend about how quiet it was at Patpong,.... he said, rumours are that the army will do a coup d'etat very very soon, and people are staying at home or indoors........ Well, if the tanks start rolling, he will recieve a call and I will too.....
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  I didn't find the sentiment all that bizarre. I've heard people during the Marcos years wish for any kind of regime change, just because it was difficult to imagine anything worse. A foreign invasion wouldn't be excluded from those scenarios.
                  Thanks for the assist, jjpb3!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    I was telling my Thai friend about how quiet it was at Patpong,.... he said, rumours are that the army will do a coup d'etat very very soon, and people are staying at home or indoors........ Well, if the tanks start rolling, he will recieve a call and I will too.....
                    Hi Kapitan,

Can you PM me if you get the call?

My wife and 2 kids are heading over to BKK mid-week (Thurs) - I'll be joining them from SIN on Monday - would appreciate the "heads-up"!

TIA!
                    Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; 19 October 2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Thai transvestite beauty pageant cancelled amid political turmoil

Fri, Oct 24, 2008
                      AFP

BANGKOK- Thailand's international transvestite beauty pageant has been postponed indefinitely amid political turmoil in the capital, organisers told AFP Thursday.

The Miss International Queen contest - a staple of the transvestite pageant scene - was due to be held in October in the kingdom's beach resort of Pattaya, but organisers postponed it for a month due to the political unrest.

On Thursday, they said they would postpone it indefinitely because some contestants had been reluctant to travel to Thailand.

"It is with regret that Tiffany's Show Pattaya is postponing the Miss International Queen 2008 pageant until further notice," said organiser Alisa Phanthusak.
                      "(We) had to take this painful decision due to the political instability and unrest in Thailand... Despite the trouble free and safe environment within Thailand, several Europeans and Asian countries have advised their citizens not to travel to Thailand through travel warnings, which has jeopardized the participation of some contestants."

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...024-95900.html

Comment

Fatal blast rocks Bangkok protest

Oh dear...I really hope this doesn't escalate:

An explosion in Bangkok has killed at least one anti-government protester and wounded more than 20.

The pre-dawn blast rocked an area where demonstrators had set up camp in the city's Government House compound.

Protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) group have occupied the area since late August.

They are demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's government, saying it is too close to ousted former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

The demonstrators said a grenade had exploded near the main stage of their protest site at about 0330 (2030 GMT Wednesday).

The protests have seen some of the worst street violence since pro-democracy activists challenged Thailand's army in 1992.

The PAD has proved a remarkably resilient movement, says the BBC's Jonathan Head in Bangkok, forcing the resignation of a prime minister and two cabinet ministers, and nearly provoking a military coup.
                        Anti-government rallies have been held in Bangkok for months

While the protesters have been targeted by small bomb attacks in recent weeks, the latest explosion could herald the start of more aggressive efforts to dislodge them, our correspondent adds.

An alliance of conservative and staunchly royalist academics, activists and business people, the PAD accuses Mr Somchai and his recently-ousted predecessor, Samak Sundaravej, of simply being proxies for Thaksin.

The PAD wants to replace Thailand's one-man, one-vote system with one in which some representatives are chosen by professions and social groups rather than the general electorate.

Thaksin, Mr Somchai's brother-in-law, was forced from office in a military coup in 2006 and remains in exile overseas.

The new government says it wants to start negotiations with the PAD. But it is also pushing ahead with controversial plans to amend the constitution - a key grievance of the protesters who see it as part of a plan to rehabilitate Thaksin.

It accuses him of corruption and abuse of power while he was in office, and has suggested he and his allies have a hidden republican agenda - a serious charge at a time when the country is beset by anxiety over the future of the monarchy.

Thaksin was last month convicted in absentia of violating conflict of interest rules, and still faces several other charges.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7738853.stm

Comment

heading over to Bangkok in 8 hours hmmmmmmm........

Comment

Am there in 28 hours!

BKK meet!

I'm sure if you avoid Parliament House, you'll be fine...

Comment

Protesters prepare for 'final battle'

This does not sound good....

Thousands of protesters have gathered in the Thai capital Bangkok for what they call a "final battle" in a six-month campaign to oust the government.

A similar protest in October left two people dead and nearly 500 wounded.

Demonstrators gathered at Government House, where protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have set up camp since late August.

They say the government of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat is too close to ousted former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I am confident in the strength of the people. We will definitely go to parliament," said anti-government leader Chamlong Srimuang.

Local media said the march was set to go ahead early on Monday, ahead of a planned parliament meeting.

The last march aimed at preventing a parliament session on 7 October erupted into the worst street violence Bangkok had seen in 16 years, as police fired tear gas and clashed with rowdy PAD protesters.

A spokesman for Mr Somchai said police had been ordered not to use tear gas or weapons this time, but insisted that the parliament meeting would go ahead as planned.

Officials said nearly 2,000 soldiers were on stand-by if the police needed help.

The PAD is calling the march its "final battle" to oust the government, which it blames for a grenade attack last week that killed one person and wounded 23. Another grenade blast near their protest site wounded eight PAD security guards on Saturday.

Mr Somchai has denied the government or its supporters are behind the blasts. Police have made no arrests so far.

As anti-government supporters gathered for the demonstration, police said about 10,000 pro-Thaksin supporters had descended on a Buddhist temple just outside Bangkok to support the government.

Leaders of that gathering said they had no intention of confronting the PAD.

The PAD wants to replace Thailand's one-man, one-vote system with one in which some representatives are chosen by professions and social groups rather than the general electorate.

The new government says it wants to start negotiations with the PAD. But it is also pushing ahead with controversial plans to amend the constitution - a key grievance of the protesters who see it as part of a plan to rehabilitate former PM Thaksin.

Mr Thaksin, Mr Somchai's brother-in-law, was forced from office in a military coup in 2006 and remains in exile overseas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7744460.stm

Comment

Hope they get it all sorted out... just got back a few hours ago from BKK and had a nice time shopping there. Still seemed to be 'all normal'... hope it stays that way for the rest of '08..

Comment

Working...
                                X