A glimpse of Christmas around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CGK View Post
    In San Francisco, it seemed many shoppers around. Well, according to the news, it was a black friday.
    Well, not just a black Friday, but the Black Friday. It's the name given in the US to the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is usually one of the busiest shopping day of the year (many shops open at 5am or earlier--some right at midnight). It's called "black" because many shops start turning a profit for the year on that day. Or at least that's the myth.

Just some shopping trivia.

Comment

Really? I always thought that the black friday was connected to the date the stock exchange bubble burst in 1929 (at least that's the meaning of it in some other countries)
      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
        Really? I always thought that the black friday was connected to the date the stock exchange bubble burst in 1929 (at least that's the meaning of it in some other countries)
        MovieMan is talking about the retail Black Friday, and yes, he's correct. A financial Black Friday would be a different animal. In any case, I think the stock market crash was Black Monday.
        Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
        It's called "black" because many shops start turning a profit for the year on that day. Or at least that's the myth.
        I don't think that's a myth, though. I've seen it reflected in my clients' seasonal sales patterns.

Now where are those Midwest Christmas scenes, sir?
        Last edited by jjpb3; 28 November 2007, 04:26 PM.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
          Well, not just a black Friday, but the Black Friday. It's the name given in the US to the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is usually one of the busiest shopping day of the year (many shops open at 5am or earlier--some right at midnight). It's called "black" because many shops start turning a profit for the year on that day. Or at least that's the myth.

Just some shopping trivia.
          I understood the concept, but what I meant was that last Friday, the books in general showing a profit. But I knew when I lived in San Francisco between 1995 - 2000, some years the profits did not materialized...

As Sir jjpb3 said, where are the pictures from the Midwest?

Comment

Thanks for the further explanations, jjpb3 and CGK.

Those Christmas pictures will have to wait till the weekend. And hopefully by next weekend there will be more from even deeper in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              MovieMan is talking about the retail Black Friday, and yes, he's correct. A financial Black Friday would be a different animal. In any case, I think the stock market crash was Black Monday.
              No. For people from the US the bad news about the stock market crash emerged on a thursday, but the europeans only realized it on Friday, so it's called black Friday over here

Comment

Well, I see the term can refer to a number of things and events...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                  No. For people from the US the bad news about the stock market crash emerged on a thursday, but the europeans only realized it on Friday, so it's called black Friday over here
                  I happily stand corrected. (Latecomers, these Europeans. )
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I am just a commoner. So, my Black Friday always refers to the fay after Thanksgiving in the US.
                    Here is the link to wikipedia:

Black Friday

Comment

And of course we should not forget about the SQ Christmas decoration.

Comment

Thanks, Lobster. At least I can dream of being on SQ plane. And this year the arrangement looks prettier than last year's.
                        Looks like I will have to catch up with non-SQ FFP elite miles requalifications.

Comment

hah i definitely need to take my camera with me for once in a while.

vienna is quite beautiful right now ... i'll post some pics later on.
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            At least I can dream of being on SQ plane. And this year the arrangement looks prettier than last year's.

Hi CGK, here's another shot of the Xmas decoration on the flight I just took on 9V-SWA.
                            I'm glad there are generally more folks on this interesting forum (that I've just discovered) who think that the decor is a nice touch instead of being TACKY.

PS. Read in WHERE magazine (SIN) that Scrooge - The Musical is playing from 7 Nov- 16 Dec

Comment

I think the Christmas decorations on SQ are a nice touch too. They remind me of a couple of years ago when one of the decorations was hanging almost over my seat. One of the Singapore Girls asked if it was bothering me and offered to remove it, but I told her not to bother. So she said, "well, at least you're under the mistletoe!"

Sadly, it must not have been mistletoe because no kiss was forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Sqstalker View Post

Hi CGK, here's another shot of the Xmas decoration on the flight I just took on 9V-SWA.
                                I'm glad there are generally more folks on this interesting forum (that I've just discovered) who think that the decor is a nice touch instead of being TACKY.

PS. Read in WHERE magazine (SIN) that Scrooge - The Musical is playing from 7 Nov- 16 Dec
                                It's hard to make a christmas deco on an airplane not tacky- unless you've got mood lighting.

Comment

Working...
                                X