Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to stay in Bangkok

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Bangkok for the first time with Mrs RCTP in end Nov. It's going to be a short weekend getaway, i.e. 3d2n.

Mrs RCTP wants to do lots of shopping and my sole purpose there is to tag along and carry the shopping bags.

We have shortlisted 3 hotels:
    1. Novotel Platinum
    2. Amari Watergate
    3. Grand Diamond Suites

Which is the best choice?

We have already decided to book Grand Diamond but somehow their website isn't working. I've already sent them an email and awaiting reply. But using this time to ask for some advice here.

Also, I would like to ask about transportation. I'll be taking TG410 on 30nov and TG409 on Sunday. On the way there I intend to engage AOT Limo's service. What about on the way back? Is it better to take the train or get a cab/AOT?

Thanks in advance.

1&2 not near skytrain...... Not familiar with 3. Novotel Ploenchit is just beside Ploenchit station, along Sukumvit.

For return ti airport, could always book a car from hotel, not much difference in price.
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

3 is not really near bts too. As mentioned, hotel limo and airport limo not much
      Difference in price (kind of a rip off) when normal cabs cost 300bht?

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170217
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
          We have already decided to book Grand Diamond but somehow their website isn't working. I've already sent them an email and awaiting reply.
          That doesn't sound right. I hope the hotel has gotten back to you.

What about on the way back? Is it better to take the train or get a cab/AOT?
          If you want as stress free as possible a return trip to the airport, might as well book a return trip to the airport on AOT right when you're booking the trip to the hotel. Call or have the hotel concierge call their hotline a day or so before your departure to reconfirm the pick up.

A metered taxi is fine, but I'm thinking if you're willing to splurge for a hassle free AOT ride from the airport, you wouldn't mind splurging on an AOT ride to the airport, especially since you'll be laden with all the shopping-filled baggage on the way out
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies.

Yeah i do not mind spending on return AOT limo to and from airport. My only concern is getting stuck in traffic jams. Have read about the jams on tripadvisor that can last throughout the day, and so not too sure about the accuracy of the stories.

Comment

I don't know any of the Hotels listed so can't help there.

For transport I would book a return AOT Limo on arrival. Note that the return needs to be from the same place as drop off, just in case you are thinking of changing hotels. There was a discount of 25% off the return until a few months back but that has now gone and they are now charging two one ways if you pay by card to stop the cancelling the payment trick people were using.

I have no idea where these all day traffic jams are as I haven't seen them, aside from the usual busy Bangkok streets, but as it's on Trip Advisor...... It usually takes 30-35 mins from the SGS to BKK, maximum 45 or 50 once in a biblical thunderstorm.

Comment

Traffic jams? Where...... Singapore has worst traffic flow then BKK during evening rush hours, ....
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Novotel Platinum might be a good place to stay if your Mrs is interested in cheap shopping. Its above Platinum fashion mall, which means, after shopping, take a lift and up you go to your room.

Its also near Pratunam, but I would enjoy the comforts of aircon at Platinum. It isn't too far from MBK AFAIK, and you can walk to Central Mall, but otherwise, there isn't much to do there.
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Bangkok for the first time with Mrs RCTP in end Nov. It's going to be a short weekend getaway, i.e. 3d2n.

Mrs RCTP wants to do lots of shopping and my sole purpose there is to tag along and carry the shopping bags.

We have shortlisted 3 hotels:
                    1. Novotel Platinum
                    2. Amari Watergate
                    3. Grand Diamond Suites

Which is the best choice?

We have already decided to book Grand Diamond but somehow their website isn't working. I've already sent them an email and awaiting reply. But using this time to ask for some advice here.

Also, I would like to ask about transportation. I'll be taking TG410 on 30nov and TG409 on Sunday. On the way there I intend to engage AOT Limo's service. What about on the way back? Is it better to take the train or get a cab/AOT?

Thanks in advance.
                    All three are not near the sky train. Novotel Platinum is a good 7 to 10 min brisk walk from Siam through Central World. Amari Watergate is across the road. No idea where Grand Diamond is though.

Amari Watergate and Grand Diamond are quite dated in my opinion and I believe you can get newer hotels with the same amount money. These are the hotels travel agents usually push on their promotional packages and having experienced these when I first dated Mrs SINFJ, I had preferred to look elsewhere since. You should be able to score Four Points or Park Plaza Soi 18 or top up a little for Sukhmvit. Most of the Accor properties should fit that budget too.

It sounds like you want to go hassle free in going for AOT, as others have mentioned just book your return trip. Just make sure you get to see their full menu, I was asked if I wanted a merc or BMW when we see there in Oct

Enjoy yourself.

Comment

Save the money from your AOT limousine (use a taxi) and put the 600THB you'll save towards a better hotel, seriously.

All three choices are underwhelming hotel-wise.

Nothing more I can really add to this discussion. Better choices/selections could be made all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Save the money from your AOT limousine (use a taxi) and put the 600THB you'll save towards a better hotel, seriously.
                        Here he goes again...

For a two year discussion on the BKK taxi topic, see:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9971
                        HUGE AL

Comment

I highly recommend VIE Hotel or Novotel Siam Square

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Here he goes again...

For a two year discussion on the BKK taxi topic, see:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9971
                            If it comes down to 600THB, it could be the difference between an outrightly crap hotel and an above average one.

To each their own...

And yes, I maintain my stance on AOT pansies.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                              It sounds like you want to go hassle free in going for AOT, as others have mentioned just book your return trip. Just make sure you get to see their full menu, I was asked if I wanted a merc or BMW when we see there in Oct
                              Excellent point. If you just roll up to an AOT desk they will usually offer you one of the higher priced cars. Just flip the mat on the desk over that shows all the cars and tell them you want an MU7 (950 THB each way to Sukhumvit area) or a Camry ( 1100 THB each way).

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              And yes, I maintain my stance on AOT pansies.
                              And we maintain ours on the cheapskates.

Talking of psycho taxi drivers, the one that took me from Copacabana to GIG last week made the Bangkok lot look like pansies.

Comment

Working...
                              X