Istanbul in November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Just finished a relaxing 8-day (extended to 9 courtesy of SQ) trip to Istanbul. Loved the place, the food and most of all its people. Many thanks to all in this forum for all the great tips.

I promised Phaleesy that I would try to take a pic of the Blue Mosque with the sea in the background. So here it is - was nearly frozen to death with the gusty wind.

Thanks, CarbonMan!!! That's some good lighting you've got there. Was it taken just after sunset?

You must have taken the photo from one of the restaurants just opposite the mosque! I had another image in mind actually. It's the mosque in the far distance with the sea behind it. So to take that image, the photographer would have to be quite a distance from the mosque but with no buildings obstructing the vantage point and the mosque. Would need a telephoto for that since the mosque is compressed in the distance. Still can't figure out where that location is!

I find Istanbul more pleasant when it's cold. It's very difficult to walk about when it's hot and it gets rather hazy too.

So glad that your family enjoyed IST.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      Thanks, CarbonMan!!! That's some good lighting you've got there. Was it taken just after sunset?

You must have taken the photo from one of the restaurants just opposite the mosque! I had another image in mind actually. It's the mosque in the far distance with the sea behind it. So to take that image, the photographer would have to be quite a distance from the mosque but with no buildings obstructing the vantage point and the mosque. Would need a telephoto for that since the mosque is compressed in the distance. Still can't figure out where that location is!

I find Istanbul more pleasant when it's cold. It's very difficult to walk about when it's hot and it gets rather hazy too.

So glad that your family enjoyed IST.
      Hi Phaleesy, yes, it was just after sunset. It was taken from the roof top restaurant at the Seven Hills Hotel. From there, the sunset was behind Sultanahmet mosque. Yes, I took this one with my 70-200mm. I think to get the image you want from a distance, would have to be from the Taksim side (Galata Tower?) with a serious telephoto.

Yes, Istanbul was getting very cold when I was there. I almost caught a chill standing at that rooftop for almost 2 hours with that wind. Fortunately because of that I had the roof top to myself! The other plus side of Nov is that I don't have to wake up at 4am for the sunrise pics!

I posted some of my other mosque shots on my Picasa site. I'm only a beginner, who only manages to play around with my hobby when on vacation, so I appreciate some helpful tips. I don't post edit so the pics are as is. Thanks.
      Last edited by CarbonMan; 6 December 2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Great pics CarbonMan

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          Great pics CarbonMan
          Thanks, 9V-SIA!

Comment

Hi Phaleesy, yes, it was just after sunset. It was taken from the roof top restaurant at the Seven Hills Hotel. From there, the sunset was behind Sultanahmet mosque. Yes, I took this one with my 70-200mm. I think to get the image you want from a distance, would have to be from the Taksim side (Galata Tower?) with a serious telephoto.

Yes, Istanbul was getting very cold when I was there. I almost caught a chill standing at that rooftop for almost 2 hours with that wind. Fortunately because of that I had the roof top to myself! The other plus side of Nov is that I don't have to wake up at 4am for the sunrise pics!

I posted some of my other mosque shots on my Picasa site. I'm only a beginner, who only manages to play around with my hobby when on vacation, so I appreciate some helpful tips. I don't post edit so the pics are as is. Thanks.
            Hi CarbonMan, I've just looked at the photos and you've got some very nice ones. You've managed to take the photos at the right time of the day! I think winter helps too, since there is no haze and you get clear blue skies and fluffy white clouds (when the sun shines! ).

You've managed to get the exposures in the mosque and church right too! Did you take the church photo on a tripod?

I think it is not easy to get 'friends and family' to comment on your photos because they'd all be biased, and most of us (like myself) are also learning and not in a position to offer comments. I have been speaking to several people recently and have been advised to join a camera club! Lots of camera clubs in the UK. Many retirees (!) who come together every week to discuss their photos for photo competitions, and attend workshops or lectures.

There is a Royal Photographic Society in Singapore. There are various distinction levels you could work towards. The aim is to improve your level of photography. The idea is that by working towards a panel at any level, you are learning new skills that are required for that level. They hold workshops, lectures, meetups in the UK. I don't know how active the Singapore charter is.

There is also a Singapore Photographic Society. I think the membership fees for this is much lower. I had a brief look at the website and they hold several workshops which are interesting. Being a kiasu Singapore system, you are 'tested' (meaning you have to submit your work for marking) before you are awarded a certificate. (I personally find attending workshops and studying in the UK so much more enjoyable and relaxing!!!) Like the RPS, they also have the same distinctions system. I was kaypoh and had a look at the panels and to be honest, I was not impressed. The A panels for the RPS are of a much higher level compared to the A panels for the SPS. However, I think it would be good to join a club of some sorts just to meet like-minded people and exchange ideas and get feedback about your images. Just my opinion.

Comment

Hi CarbonMan, I've just looked at the photos and you've got some very nice ones. You've managed to take the photos at the right time of the day! I think winter helps too, since there is no haze and you get clear blue skies and fluffy white clouds (when the sun shines! ).
              Indeed! Weather can be such a variable. One thing I learnt from a friend is to take even "bad" conditions into my stride. So if it's cloudy and dark, I take b/w and play around with shades. There were a few days when Istanbul was raining and cloudy but I manage to get a couple great shots. They are of my part-time model aka the wife, so I can't post them here, unfortunately! So much is dependent on being at the right place at the right time with the right frame of mind to "envision" the shot!

You've managed to get the exposures in the mosque and church right too! Did you take the church photo on a tripod?
              No, there's only that much equipment I can lug around while sight-seeing. The church shot was done by resting my camera on the pew.

I think it is not easy ... to meet like-minded people and exchange ideas and get feedback about your images. Just my opinion.
              Thanks for the tips, Phaleesy. In Singapore we have a pretty good online forum called ClubSnap. It's an excellent place to learn from others and to also unload used equipment, and also salivate over the latest and best hardware. Fortunately, I have a couple of friends who are die-hard photographers who have shared with me their skills. I learn best from observing what others do - am better at being a monkey-see-monkey-do than reading up a book on photography (I only look at the pictures!).

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Phaleesy. In Singapore we have a pretty good online forum called ClubSnap. It's an excellent place to learn from others and to also unload used equipment, and also salivate over the latest and best hardware. Fortunately, I have a couple of friends who are die-hard photographers who have shared with me their skills. I learn best from observing what others do - am better at being a monkey-see-monkey-do than reading up a book on photography (I only look at the pictures!).
                post deleted
                Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                  Maybe we need to set up a separate thread just for camera geeks among us
                  I'm not one of them but I am always trying to improve my casual photos.
                  Here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5671

Comment

Working...
                  X