SE Asia beach in May/June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
    Yup, I totally hear you. Culture and cliffs and mountains and lakes. But, as per the thread title, not on this trip!

I may be yellow on the outside, but I live in dreary London, and this banana likes to ripen
    You mentioned prefer child-unfriendly but you didn't mention your budget

I tend to recommend the Uluwatu area. But I doubt there are any chain resorts there for you to earn points. But the hotels are top of their game (think Bulgari, Alila, Banyan Tree).

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      You mentioned prefer child-unfriendly but you didn't mention your budget

I tend to recommend the Uluwatu area. But I doubt there are any chain resorts there for you to earn points. But the hotels are top of their game (think Bulgari, Alila, Banyan Tree).
      I don't object to paying a premium for a nice boutique hotel. I tend to do that in the UK and Europe, as the chains depress me - frankly I'd rather stay in a well-located shiny new Premier Inn, than an unrefurbished tired old Hilton. And hence I no longer keep status

However, I think the chains are mostly OK in Asia. They offer decent value for a luxurious enough product, and they tend to have private or secluded beaches in destinations like Bali, where, for right or wrong reasons, they have sucked up all the best beachfront real estate

When I had Hyatt points to burn, the Grand Hyatt was fine - nothing special, but just fine for a little R&R - nice, clean (relative) beach, quiet pool and friendly service. So, something similar would be great - no need for any Vulgari!
      Last edited by kt74; 12 April 2014, 12:36 AM. Reason: Correction!

Comment

If you like secluded beach, why not try Ayana? Ayana at Jimbaran would have a secluded beach buggy away and down the cliff.

Now this is the one and I haven't been to but I have heard so many great stories about the new Mulia Resort in Nusa Dua, Bali. Just like the St. Regis, this is not inside the Nusa Dua Tourist Enclave, but outside.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          I reiterate my belief that the fact you live so close but have never been is a 'disgrace'.

Get over there and try it out. Look forward to the TR.
          +1

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          Beach resorts don't excite me....
          Yeah yeah…we know…no planes for you to look at…
          HUGE AL

Comment

Definitely Philippines for its beaches... Start off with Boracay

Comment

Postscript

Bali was lovely - nice hotels, nice beaches, nice massages, cheap beer, v relaxing - just what the doctor ordered

I ended up at the IC, the Laguna and finally one night at the Courtyard (long story)
              • The IC wins on location and service - maybe I was lucky. Beach is so-so, but the sunsets were pretty awesome
              • I liked the Laguna because it is the most "intimate" of the northern Nusa Dua beach resorts - didn't feel like a mega Club Med-style place... but, in hindsight, for beach alone, I much prefer the southern stretch - from the Grand Hyatt onwards
              • The CY was not nearly as bad as I feared, nice pool and excellent value - less than half the price of the others, and everything else was cheaper too (food, drink, massage, etc) - so I would happily have spent a couple of days there

Two other observations
              • The new DPS international terminal is a big improvement on everything except the shared premium lounge, which was woeful - just a partitioned area of a gate
              • CX business class. Food and service were not a patch on SQ. However, the HKG and LHR lounges were significantly better than SQ, and the seat and IFE are simply outstanding - I've never had such a good sleep in J class - and a significant improvement on the awful SQ bench...

Comment

Working...
              X