NRT to Tokyo by train and transport to Hotels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers jhm! Coach it is.

Perhaps a hop to Sapporro for an overnight, since already in Japan.

I don't think Haneda International has been covered much on this forum. Will do my best to take a few pics when i can. Will be arriving HND on SQ red-eye nx wkend. Departing 6 days later on the red-eye back to SIN. I can imagine HND ANA Biz lounge will be jammed pack.

Just to get an idea, assuming i book the cheapest room at ANA Intercon/ Strings, how many level op-up/ type of room will i get?

Btw, just a suggestion, it would be splendid if SQTalk could initiate an annual/bi-annual SQ-Do, and importantly to engage/involve SQ/MI and possibly KF. I am certain they like to meet their loyal customers over a meal or at least a feedback session. I know i would.

Or have i got them so wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalked View Post
      Perhaps a hop to Sapporro for an overnight, since already in Japan.
      Sapporo ?!? By train, that's going to take much longer and be much more expensive than your proposal to go to Kyoto.

It's a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Hachinohe (about 3 hours), a limited express from Hachinohe to Hakodate (another 3 hours) and finally, another train from Hakodate to Sapporo (another 3 hours or so). I did Tokyo to Hakodate (a very nice place IMO!) earlier this year and I think that's about the furthest you can practically go in one day from Tokyo.

Japanese domestic flights are also not cheap. However, as a foreigner, you can purchase a special flat rate fare of about JPY 10,000 for each domestic flight (the exact price depends on the airlines you fly in and out of Japan on). However:

* there are blackout periods
      * you have to fly in and out of Japan on the same ticket
      * there's a minimum number of flights you have to buy
      * you must purchase before you arrive in Japan
      * economy only (albeit Japanese domestic business is basically a bigger seat and a drink in a paper cup whilst domestic first is quite nice IMO)

Details here:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9289
      Last edited by jhm; 18 November 2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

If you want a day (or overnight) trip from Tokyo, I think somewhere like Nikko is realistic rather than Kyoto.

However, having been to Tokyo a number of times, I can still easily occupy myself for 5 nights without being bored. There's so much to see, do and - most importantly - eat but YMMV of course. Even more so if it's your first time to Japan.

Comment

Roger that jhm!

Mates been telling me to save the shopping for HK and Seoul..or even Whitecity! But prices can't be that bad in Japan?

To be frank, i don't usually fly F. Only in J via miles or the rare occasion where supplier pick up the tabs or being op-up (not yet on SQ).

I would rather invest (or indulge) on a Panerai a year, or a luxury hotel stays and fine dinings during trips abroad.

Cheerio mate.

Comment

Mates been telling me to save the shopping for HK and Seoul..or even Whitecity! But prices can't be that bad in Japan?
            If you're after certain things only available in Japan, then you have to pay whatever the price. Otherwise, I think it's a very expensive country nowadays for you and me - the JPY/GBP exchange rate was 250:1 a few years ago and now it's hovering around 130:1!

Comment

Hi mate,

Decided on Nikko and Mt Fuji. Thought it would a nice breather in between hectic Tokyo.

Any reputable tour company to recommend for the day trips?

Btw, anyone been to the Kirin Beer Village in Yokohama? Worth the trek? Does Asahi have a brewery we could pop in for a look.

Cheers.

Comment

Any reputable tour company to recommend for the day trips?
                I haven't used them but have a look at Sunrise Tours maybe.

Btw, anyone been to the Kirin Beer Village in Yokohama? Worth the trek?
                I've been to Yokohama (it's not far from central Tokyo) but not to the Kirin Beer Village. I found it a nice break from the vastness and (extreme) bustle of Tokyo. I visited the Minato Mirai harbourside development and the small shops inside a nearby converted redbrick warehouse (Akarenga Soko).

Comment

Does Asahi have a brewery we could pop in for a look.
                  I don't know about Asahi but in central Tokyo (Ebisu - next to Shibuya), there's the Sapporo beer museum which you can visit.

Comment

Received from TA this morning.....

Virgin Atlantic Introduce Helicopter Transfers in Tokyo

As of 1st November 2010 passengers travelling in Upper Class can utilise a helicopter transfer service when travelling in and out of central Tokyo.

When transferring to central Tokyo, passengers will be picked up and taken to the heli pad by chauffeur driven car service. The helicopter will take them into Tokyo central and a final chauffeur driven car will then take them on to their final destination
                    The transfer is also available when travelling to Narita airport. The total journey time is 30 minutes with a flight time of 11 minutes. 3 days' notice and weight restrictions apply.
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Is there small print ? For example, VS offer a limo transfer to/from LHR I believe but it's only for certain (and not all) Upper fare classes.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Is there small print ? For example, VS offer a limo transfer to/from LHR I believe but it's only for certain (and not all) Upper fare classes.
                        I don't know, just copy and paste from my e-mails.....
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
                        X