SFO-SIN-BKK-HKG-SFO (SQ 1-SQ 980-TG 628-SQ 2) J class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A side trip to Phuket

Moving into the apartment in Bangkok, home away from home for the next 31 days.

First excursion was to Krabi via Phuket

My family and I made our first trip to Phuket aprox. 12 years ago, and since then things have changed and not usually for the better. We prefer Krabi now, but with the limited availability of flights and smaller aircraft (compared to HKT), we still find it more convenient to fly into Phuket and take a boat into Krabi.

A few picks of the Kata and Karon Beach and the hill tops from the north and south side.

But our favorite spot is south of the island, less crowded, more local.. Rawai Beach. At the tip you'll find a few restaurants w/ tables on overlooking the beach, separated by a road w/ the kitchen on the other side. Thank god the road doesn't see more traffic, as I fear for the staff as they cross the road laden w/ food. Good food, good views, relatively cheap... one of the few jems left on the island.

The view from one of the tables

Order up

next stop, Krabi....
    Last edited by Lie_flat_seatlover; 30 March 2009, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Truly excellent photos. Speaks a thousand words...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Truly excellent photos. Speaks a thousand words...
        Well thanks Kyo. Overall I'm happy w/ the Lumix point and shoot camera for most lighting situations.

Cheers,

Comment

Excellent pictures!
          Thanks for sharing.

The apartment in Bangkok seems cozy.
          Seems like you have been enjoying some good food!

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post

The apartment in Bangkok seems cozy.
            Seems like you have been enjoying some good food!
            Apartment worked out well... but my if only the broadband service was better in Thailand.

... and I'm abit of a foodie. I ate well, and have the waist to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post
              Overall I'm happy w/ the Lumix point and shoot camera for most lighting situations.
              Those are some pretty impressive pictures indeed. May I ask what model you are using?

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
                May I ask what model you are using?
                I am using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 that I purchased prior to the trip.

It's barely small enough to fit in your pocket, but still has a 28mm lens. I expect future pics to be better as I work out the kinks.

Comment

Krabi bound... more specifically Railey Beach

Ultimate destination was the Similan Islands for some snorkling... but first we needed to set up camp at Railey Beach.

Getting close

One of the Royal Palaces

Just around the corner

We're here!

..looking back at Krabi

....next stop Similan Islands
                  Last edited by Lie_flat_seatlover; 1 April 2009, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post
                    flyingfox, afew more orchid pics for you from Singapore. It was a overcast day, about 2 hours before closing and the place was deserted. Made for a peaceful stroll.
                    WOW!
                    Excellent quality in your pictures!
                    These bring back memories of the first time I was in Singapore!
                    I especially like the walkway picture with the yellow surround.
                    Thanks for uploading and keep up the wonderful work with the camera!

Comment

Sorry about the poor quality of pic, but I thought I'd share anyway.

The shades of green to blue of the water was incredible, indescribleable

--

--

After a day in the water, I was starved. A seaside shack for some fresh stir fried lobster...

Last edited by Lie_flat_seatlover; 1 April 2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Stunning pics!

Comment

Your pictures capture a Phuket holiday very well.

You got beautiful underwater pics from snorkling?

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

You got beautiful underwater pics from snorkling?
                            9V-SIA, I used a Fuji disposable panoramic camera for the 2 beach shots, and a disposable Fuji underwater camera for the underwater and lobster shot.

The underwater camera worked ok in bright light, clear water. I would spot something of interest and take afew dives and try and snap a pic before I floated back up and or needed to take a breath.

Comment

Old pic from Don Muang

A brief sidetrack from this TR,

I wanted to share a old pic from BKK, when BKK was Don Muang.

We're headed for HKT (Phuket) on a TG 747 and we taxi by this TG A300 on the tarmac.

Comment

Similian Islands

I conclude the Krabi, Similan Islands portion of my TR with afew pics from the trip. We overnighted just 1 night, and some of the pax stayed on the boat, I opted for a tent on the island.

There are afew bungalows, but you need to reserve them months in advance.

I'm awaiting to see the results of the other disposal waterproof camera and keeping my fingers crossed, but until then... the pics from my digital

I love this place and never tire of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X