HKG-BKK - Sri lankan... the impossible becomes real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG-BKK - Sri lankan... the impossible becomes real

Saturday I had my first experience on UL. Maybe I was very tired after very long incoming flights, but what I attended to is something that goes over my comprehension skills.

I chose to fly HKG-BKK with UL because the timings were ok and the price was ridicolous: 1100 HKD r/t a.i.

On that day, the route was operated by A330. At the transit desk at HKIA, I was able to grab the emergency exit row and expected to be able to get a little nap.
    I spent the time before departure at the BA lounge, where basically there were only 3 or 4 customers.

When I reached the gate, all the passengers had already boarded. When I got on the plane I was greeted by two girls and one of them was really nice: they checked my BP and instructed me about how to reach row 50.
    The plane had lived clearly better days, because it seemed very outdated notwithstanding the fact all the seats were fitted with PTV.

The plane was very full and there were many chinese people, probably at their very first experience on a plane. They screamed all the time and behaved like primary school students when they are brought to the zoo or to the national museum.

My neighbour was an arab man, and soon I realized I wasn't the only to be annoyed by these chinese people (please, don't think I have smtgh against chinese people. I had smtgh against THOSE chinese people).

After door closing, the safety video was played, but the audio was definitely lacking. Most of the chinese ignored completely the briefing and kept to stand up and sit down in order to talk with their friends / relatives.

When we moved from the gate, the outside camera was activated and a huge flow of "ohhhhhh", "ahhhhh" overwhelmed the entire cabin ambience.
    Some of them started screaming and pointing their finger towards the overhead monitors, probably commenting the green and red lights on the ground.

The pretty FA seated in front of me gazed at me and I smiled her, awaiting for her possible subsequent comment. she nodded pitiful. I enquired if the crew was going to CMB or a change was supposed to be in BKK. HEr answer was direct "we end our duty in BKK. I could not deal with them from HKG to CMB"!!!!

The take-off and the climbing came with a lot of shouts and cackles. One woman, sat in row 52 started crying, while two elderly men (they could have SQ LPP's age!) started a bright discussion looking at the airmap, probably talking about the route.

To make a decent service was clearly impossible: as soon as the seat belt sign was switched off all the chinese stoodd up and started a hole procession to the toilet, which attracted their attention beyond any expectation.
    Being sitted in row 50, I had the chance to watch this show.

Notwithstanding two big metal placards with the word PUSH in capitals, none of them was able to realize how to open the swing-door. I can understand many people is not familiar with english, but it's difficult to me to imagine people standing in front of a door waiting for a miracle.

In many cases me and the arab had to enlighten them on the magic option of pushing on the placards.

Don't talk about locking the door once they entered the toilet. They never did this.
    And you can guess the show, when someone else suddenly pushed on the door.

In the mean while we soon discovered to have a player on board. 5 rows ahead of us, a 40yo man started calling the FA by pushing the button..... not once, not twice..... I counted 49, but I could have missed some calls.

The meal was not so bad. We were offered beef or chicken curry, and the meal presentation was ok.
    Many chinese, while eating, burped repeatedly and blatantly, arousing their friends' laughs. Some other went on and I can bet someone also farted.
    What a wonderful flight....
    But the best had to come yet: a woman sat in a central row, after having chosen beef, decided she didn't like this, and so - unexpectedly and completely dazing me and the arab - she took the beef slices with her chopsticks and put those slices in the dish of his neighbour, which - I WANT TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THAT - was a perfect stranger to her (beyond any doubt he was caucasian!). When the latter gazed at her with an upset mood, she encouraged him to go on eating!!!

The fasten seat belt sign is something not enforced on UL. I'm not comfortable with this practice since I strongly think the rules have to be enforced when we talk about safety. If I can tolerate the FAs not passing through the rows, I was speechless when I saw the chinese keeping to stand up and walking on the aisle and chit-chatting, during a discrete turbolence and notwithstanding the severe verbal rebuke of the FAs. They simply ignored them and pretended the FAs understand they have to talk each other without being disturbed.... astonishingly.

The duty free service is another story: the funny chinese gals probably thought it was smtgh like a bazar. They started glancing at the items, then asked to open the items to see the content. Many of them touched the woven of certain accessories and vividly disserted about it with their friends. Obviously none of them bought anything.

The last note: just immediately after touch down, when the captain was still actionating the reverses, many of those stood up and started opening the overhead bins to take their personal items... It was pretty impossibile to the cabin crew to prompt them to sit down.

Never seen anything similar on any flight.
    I can only imagine SIA girls having to deal with them!
    Last edited by LukeGT; 9 March 2009, 06:00 PM. Reason: wording
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

What an interesting experience!

Comment

Thanks for that hilarious report. Sorry for the suffering you went thru in order to write it.

Comment

Halfway thru the report I still was thinking that "impossible become real" had something to do with the pretty FA overnighting in BKK...

Comment

Ahhhh!

So this is what misbehaving passengers do!

Comment

Vivid reminder what cabin crew sometimes have to deal with.

Hilarious TR, Luke. I wish someone had taken pictures of your expression as the events unfolded.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Great Laugh! Thanks LukeGT

Comment

In a way, quite refreshing to see the excitement of someone's first flight!

I've posted this before but.... sitting behind an American kid on SQ21 EWR-SIN (pre all-J class ) I remember his comments.

" Look!!! TV screens behind the seat! "

" Look at all the food! "

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                  ...there were many chinese people, probably at their very first experience on a plane. They screamed all the time and behaved like primary school students when they are brought to the zoo or to the national museum.

Most of the chinese ignored completely the briefing and kept to stand up and sit down in order to talk with their friends / relatives.

"we end our duty in BKK. I could not deal with them from HKG to CMB"!!!!

To make a decent service was clearly impossible: as soon as the seat belt sign was switched off all the chinese stoodd up and started a hole procession to the toilet, which attracted their attention beyond any expectation.

Many chinese, while eating, burped repeatedly and blatantly, arousing their friends' laughs. Some other went on and I can bet someone also farted.
                  What a wonderful flight....

I was speechless when I saw the chinese keeping to stand up and walking on the aisle and chit-chatting, during a discrete turbolence and notwithstanding the severe verbal rebuke of the FAs. They simply ignored them and pretended the FAs understand they have to talk each other without being disturbed.... astonishingly.
                  Amazing what happens when rules aren't enforced...and boy, did they need rules.

(they could have SQ LPP's age!)

But the best had to come yet: a woman sat in a central row, after having chosen beef, decided she didn't like this, and so - unexpectedly and completely dazing me and the arab - she took the beef slices with her chopsticks and put those slices in the dish of his neighbour, which - I WANT TO BE CLEAR ABOUT THAT - was a perfect stranger to her (beyond any doubt he was caucasian!). When the latter gazed at her with an upset mood, she encouraged him to go on eating!!!
                  Hilarious!

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                  Halfway thru the report I still was thinking that "impossible become real" had something to do with the pretty FA overnighting in BKK...
                  I was actually thinking the same thing!
                  Last edited by LukeGT; 9 March 2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: quote editing - Lgt
                  HUGE AL

Comment

I must have had the same bunch of folks on the way back from MLE-SIN last year in early October. Clearly they were just warming up for your trip, LukeGT!

The only difference was all this happened at 2-3AM in the morning on my flight.

And no sleep did I get as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      LOL, no definitely no. Indian girls look very nice but don't match my personal taste.

Comment

I do apologize for the bad grammar but I was in a hurry for the return leg on sri lankan. Now I've just tried to adjust the wording by editing it.
                        sorry about that.

Comment

Thanks for the amusing TR, Luke!

I think what you experienced may not be uncommon with pax from China. I've had similar when I've taken domestic flights in China before, e.g. cutting ahead of others at check-in (even to the extent of someone putting his bag on the check-in belt right in front of me which I promptly pulled off); the scrum to board the plane; takeoff whilst the safety video is still running; everyone geting up as soon as the plane stops; etc. It's a cultural difference I suppose!

I've only taken UL once from MLE to CMB. They were really cheap in J; the hot food was good (and much better than, e.g., BA Club Europe for such a short flight); the seat was more comfortable than CE; and the lounge at CMB is rather pleasant (with a free massage service albeit you can end up with your top off in full view of everyone else in the lounge! ).

I'm taking UL again in 2 weeks' time as SQ cancelled my CMB-SIN flight on that day so will see how they are like for a longer flight.

Comment

Nice TR although I think the flight wouldn't have been that entertaining for you

The majority of the Chinese population still has to get used to flying- although some annoyances will never vanish completely as you can see in the "inconsiderate pax" thread
                            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

V entertaining account Luke.

I had a sense of de ja vu as I read your report. Your experience mirrors mine on a flight between HEL and PVG last year, as detailed here. Thankfully though, I had a rather decent seatmate.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X