Show Me The Money...: No. of PPS Members Remaining After the Cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    While I understand the annoyance of having something you were once entititled to taken away, I can assure you it's not with 'fighting' in any way, shape or form to get in the SKL F.
    Living in Singapore and being in the industry that I am, I regularly bump into friends and business associates in the SIN SKL F. Such impromptu meetings are a nice fringe benefit, and occasionally quite useful to my line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Living in Singapore and being in the industry that I am, I regularly bump into friends and business associates in the SIN SKL F. Such impromptu meetings are a nice fringe benefit, and occasionally quite useful to my line of work.
      I presume they are all TPP's and as such you no longer have any chance of catching up with them ?. This is of course presuming the stars were aligned and you were in Changi at the same time in the first place.

Doesn't change a thing about the quality of place by the way, which was my point.

Comment

I presume they are all TPP's and as such you no longer have any chance of catching up with them ?. This is of course presuming the stars were aligned and you were in Changi at the same time in the first place.

Doesn't change a thing about the quality of place by the way, which was my point.
        I get your point, and agree fully.

As for mine, YMMV but it's valid from my POV.

Comment

I'm still PPS.... i could re-qualify, since i've already 65% of the value needeed and i have a couple of business flights i could arrange on SQ (in june and july), but the question is : do i want to re-qualify?
          In this case we are not discussing if SQ is nice or no, because everyone knows that SQ is the excellence. The matter is whether i want to use these trips to be PPS for another year or if use them to consolidate the status on another carrier.
          Honestly, i can't see any valid reason to re.qualify for PPS: many benefits are gone, and if you fly C class, there's no sensible difference between a standard pax and a pps.
          It's true, the onboard experience is definitely better on SQ than - let's say - on BA but there are some issues:
          - retrieving availability in business class is often difficult on SQ.
          - customers/my company are not always favourable to pay a huge difference to let me fly SQ
          - flying mainly to China/Thaland involves a more complicated routing and a larger amount of time to reach destination when you fly SQ (btw, this wouldn't be a problem for me, since the more complex an itinerary is, the more i like it).

All this said, i can't see why should I do this... at the end BA is ok to China, QF to Thailand even better, upgrades sometimes happen and the BA status is definitely more useful for a EU-based customer.

Am i wrong?
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
            I'm still PPS.... i could re-qualify, since i've already 65% of the value needeed and i have a couple of business flights i could arrange on SQ (in june and july), but the question is : do i want to re-qualify?
            In this case we are not discussing if SQ is nice or no, because everyone knows that SQ is the excellence. The matter is whether i want to use these trips to be PPS for another year or if use them to consolidate the status on another carrier.
            Honestly, i can't see any valid reason to re.qualify for PPS: many benefits are gone, and if you fly C class, there's no sensible difference between a standard pax and a pps.
            It's true, the onboard experience is definitely better on SQ than - let's say - on BA but there are some issues:
            - customers/my company are not always favourable to pay a huge difference to let me fly SQ
            - flying mainly to China/Thaland involves a more complicated routing and a larger amount of time to reach destination when you fly SQ (btw, this wouldn't be a problem for me, since the more complex an itinerary is, the more i like it).

All this said, i can't see why should I do this... at the end BA is ok to China, QF to Thailand even better, upgrades sometimes happen and the BA status is definitely more useful for a EU-based customer.

Am i wrong?
            Well said LukeGT. SQ no doubt is excellent, there is a limit to what a customer can put up with considering the higher fare, more complicated routing and watered down PPS benefits.

CEO Chew mentioned that there will be challenges from the credit crunch. Both March and April 2008 operating results show an increase in demand by about 2.4% and 4.8% over their respective previous year result But overall load factor has dropped 1.6% and 3.3% respectively due to more new planes being available. The worst drop are in the Americas.

See link: http://info.sgx.com/webcoranncatth.nsf/VwAttachments/Att_2A726504960137664825744A0036A372/$file/SIA_Apr08.pdf?openelement

No doubt too early to say, the picture is that SQ is now only filling 80.8% of her seats in March and likewise 76.4% of her seats in April. The challenge for SQ is to ensure a high seat load factor to accrue high profits. The breakeven load factor is about 69.4%. From talking to some friends and reading the local press, their companies are not doing as well hence travel has been curtailed.

SQ has now more seats, higher fuel prices and a credit crunch to deal with. Of course it is too early to define how it will develop, but I think SQ should start considering winning back customers like LukeGT that in the past have been intensely loyal to her. SQ has spent millions on advertising but surely it cost less to retain an existing customer than to get a new one? The cost-benefit number to retain an existing customer is great. Unfortunately, SQ has not only raised the PPS Qualification level but on a continuous basis cut the PPS Benefits. Surely, it is better to try to fill those empty seats with loyal customers than to leave it empTy.
            Last edited by LionCity; 16 May 2008, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post

Am i wrong?
              Ie have just qualified as BA Gold and so far have to say the recognition I have to rate it well above PPS. Access to F lounges (new T5 F lounge very nice, old T4 F lounge not so nice), two upgrades out of 4 flights flown (only Y to Y+ but still an upgrade) and welcomed by the CSD on all flights.

Comment

LH is treating me ways better as a SEN (*G).

Differences to PPS:
                - designated SEN lounges (no entry for pax on C/J tickets)
                - more recognition for premium tickets (100% Y, 200% in C/J and 300% in F)
                - unrestricted awards on LH are NOT accessible for "ordinary" pax but only for SEN/HON and cost only 50% surcharge (vs. 100% on SQ). C/J and Y only.

SQ could make a difference by
                - introducing stand-by upgrade vouchers for PPS (filling an empty seat is not that expensive and if they are able to sell it you cannot upgrade)
                - introducing PPS lounges or giving them access to F lounges
                - introducing PPS awards with lower milage amounts

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  Ie have just qualified as BA Gold and so far have to say the recognition I have to rate it well above PPS. Access to F lounges (new T5 F lounge very nice, old T4 F lounge not so nice), two upgrades out of 4 flights flown (only Y to Y+ but still an upgrade) and welcomed by the CSD on all flights.
                  This is exactly the comparison I was making

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                    And to this you can also add the following real benefits compared to the current cutdown PPS:

* F lounge access throughout OW (with the only exceptions being, AFAIK, the LHR CCR and QF Chairman's Club (?)) so you can access (e.g.) all of the CX Wing/Pier lounges, the new QF Flounges in SYD/MEL etc

* LHR BA arrivals lounge access if flying in longhaul BA Y

* F check-in throughout OW (even if travelling on a cheap Y tix)

* Open door access to any BA J lounge regardless of class/airline flown

* 50% BA miles bonus on BA/QF flights

Comment

Agree with jhm wholeheartedly. As BA Gold, I have used the BA lounge when not on BA ticket or when travelling in Y. That to me is a very useful perk and I'll go out of my way to maintain that in light of SQ PPS Club devastating decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        As BA Gold, I have used the BA lounge when not on BA ticket or when travelling in Y. That to me is a very useful perk and I'll go out of my way to maintain that in light of SQ PPS Club devastating decisions.
                        That was also previously a nice little benefit of PPS, which was also taken away in the changes last year....

Comment

That was also previously a nice little benefit of PPS, which was also taken away in the changes last year....
                          With the little difference that BA lounges are better spread all around the world

Comment

Agreed with overall feelings - I too have requalified but limiting spend to just above threshold... moved SGD100K+ to other airlines to diversify status and just for the heck of it...

I think SIA are soon going to find that treating CIPs like crap isn't wise policy for the mid to long term... especially when real issues are coming much quicker than they anticipated...

Comment

Working...
                            X