LHR-PVG-LHR on VS new Premium Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHR-PVG-LHR on VS new Premium Economy

First of all, I want to thank those who chipped in their valuable knowledge on helping me deciding to take this flight! Of course Keith, you know too mcuh! Anyway, here is part of my TR which I wrote on posted in MW forums.

Enjoy!

--------------

“Guang Liang Shanghai”, announced the cabin crew of Virgin Atlantic VS251 after touching down at Pudong International Airport on 7th Dec 2006. We were greeted by somewhat foggy weather of Shanghai, the temperature was just below 10 degrees Celsius, a tad bit colder than London. As I glanced over to my window, there were weren’t many airliners spotted on my side as we taxi to our designated bay. The airport was looking almost like an abandoned airfield.

Shanghai was actually a rather last minute decision. I had initially thought of flying back to KL for at least a week, but was not able to get more than 3 days. So I decided to fly elsewhere, to a place I’ve never been to, and Shanghai was top of the list since I’ve got a mate who is currently working there. That would sort out my accommodation and he can bring me around. So I then quickly posted in SQtalk to check out what is the best way to accrue miles for my Star Alliance miles to PVG, from LHR. The best one was probably LH, via FRA. However, I thought I wouldn’t want to spend more time transiting since time is quite tight this time around. So I decided to get a direct flight, and naturally, only Virgin Atlantic was the direct one which yields miles for my FFP. The total cost was actually GBP514. There was an option to upgrade to Premium Economy for another 240 quid, so I thought, why not? This would be my first time flying above Economy class, so you can imagine I’m very much excited about it. VS recently refurbished their Premium Economy seats, and had this promo going on.

So I booked my ticket online and the website was REALLY a breeze. Within a few minutes, I have got my ticket processed and I’m on my way to China, my first maiden flight into the Mainland.

The check-in
    My flight to PVG was at 2.30pm, and I had checked in earlier. So I just needed to drop my bags at the Drop Bag area. The queue for the Economy Class was enormously long. I think it's for all VS flights. I quickly look for Premium Economy check in and was relieve to find there isn't any queue. Ah...the benefits of flying a bit of premium. I checked in my bags within 5 minutes. Was hoping for a Op Up, but hey, it's not my time this time eh? Still waiting for my first! Upper class sleeper seats look so good...

Long queue at the Economy Check in!

Bag drop area - still lots of peeps!

Premium Economy check-in, not crowded at all

Upper Class - business looks brisk for VS!

Boarding
    I was told to be at the gate early, as the boarding time is almost 1 hour before the flight. That's quite early I thought. So we went to Gate 53 and waited in a small room. I looked out at the window, but I didn't see any airplane at all! Then I realised that we were going to driven to our planes in buses. Looks like we are boarding Air Asia style! The ride was about 5 minutes, and it felt like it was really really long...everyone was wondering if we were driving all the way to Shanghai lol. And then 2 GORGEOUS VS planes were parked side by side. One was a 744, and right beside it, was the A346. I got a rush in meself when I was so close to these machines...I was in awe...!

Boarding time, Air Asia style!

4 engines 4 long haul baby!

Couldn't stop snapping!

Close up on the RRs

Comment

Cabin experience
      Fly a younger fleet screams yet another VS advertisement, and they claim they have some really young fleet, you have to believe them. the A346 that I was in looks almost new, partly because of the newly fitted Premium Economy seats. The cabin feels really modern and new and true to the advertisements. When I walked towards my seat 21K, I was glad to see the new purple leather seats - the new seats are fitted! Fantastic I thought. The seat pitch are really wide and comfortable, and it looks like any other business class seats. They also claim that the seats are equal size of business class of other airlines, and that is quite true!

Once we settled down, 2 cabin crew were dedicated for the Premium Economy passengers. They have alrady started serving pre-flight drinks, which has a selection of champagne, orange juice, and water (with lemon). Ah....bubbly as per flight drink! However, I usually avoid alcoholic drinks on board, so gave that a miss, though I do love bubbly...heh...however I'm not entirely sure if they actually served bubbly! Maybe it's just beer...

Someone else's quick to finish their drink!

Everything was new, so I just had to take some of these shots. I love the fact that Virgin's branding is very strong, using the same font across their products. This is Eurostile font or something I think! As you can see, the middle part of the seat can be adjusted for contour. Doesn't do anything to me to be honest. Hehe. The seats are AMAZING. It was so spacious I felt so free! When I recline the chair to it's maximum, my leg couldn't touch the floor, and I'm quite average at around 178cm...never felt like this before! Look ma! No feet!

Stow away!

Overhead cabin compartment

Damn, it's really shiny and new I tell ya!

Taxi-ing
      So after serving drinks (twice!) and the FAs started to offer selection of newspaper, and then a hot towel to freshen up. I can't remmeber if this was done after reaching cruising atltitude or before taxing. Anyway, the runway for departure today was 27R. So while taxing, I saw a few airlines...so oh, snap!

Qatar Airways, in their Asian Games livery

Comment

And then I saw this strange looking bird parked in one corner...JUST what plane is this???

Just a reminder which runway we took.

Ready to soar!

See the Avis car rental sign? I used to spot from there!

Wahey, off we go...goodbye London Heathrow!

RRs

Among the items given to us. First was the awesome blanket which has a funny split at the end. It is designed so that you can slide the blanket between your neck so that you get comfy. A gentle reminder on the headphone packs!

Comment

Nice touch! I like the fact that most of the items given are an advertisement itself! So cute! So cute that I had to ahem...accidentally took one home *rolleyes*

What's included in the little back pack: - Pen, socks, shades (beddy eyes), ear buds (cheekily imprinted on it was 'Pardon' hehe), toothpaste (fresh), and an envelop which you can donate any of those foreign currency that you still have left and donate to charity.

One thing that they really really offered us over and over again were drinks and snacks. I was like ... I don't want anymore! Go away! Haha...anyway here's a shot of the snacks. And the premium econony menu, and Virgin's own cosmetic division. Eh, I tot that company close business alrady??

The FA then started to come to each of us and took our orders, kinda like in restaurants. After a while, our meals were then ready to be served. here I took the Shanghai Chicken or something...not that bad at all, not overly great, it's really the same as the economy food that I had in SQ/MH. So nothing much to shout about. However, the notable things here are 1) They served on real cutlery, nicely placed in folded napkin, bearing the Premium Economy logo. Nice touch I must say. 2) GU is serveddddd!!! Yayyyyyy!

Just a reminder! Again, brilliant branding

Doh!!!

Space-aged lavatory! Nice!

Next up: IFE!

Comment

Thanks for the trippie mate.
            I think a variety of people here helped u in equal measure. I just nudged u in the direction of VS. But if you wanted a real MR - ie maximising mileage by going indirectly, you should've followed suggestions to go via VIE or FRA.

The food looks much better than on WT+! Presentation is almost like QF domestic business.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Thanks for the trippie mate.
              I think a variety of people here helped u in equal measure. I just nudged u in the direction of VS. But if you wanted a real MR - ie maximising mileage by going indirectly, you should've followed suggestions to go via VIE or FRA.
              That I have to agree, I would've earned about 1K extra had I took LH via FRA. However, I think this didn't exactly turn out to be a milleage run at the end, due to time constraint.

You (and SQ) will be pleased to know I still want that *G status despite new KF rules!

Comment

quik!, great trip report - love the pictures! Never tried VS myself - perhaps one day.

Comment

Great TR. The weird plane you see there is a fire training device

Comment

Great trip report! I really like the Virgin branding for all of their stuff. I ahem took some of their airplane salt and pepper shakers from UC. Neat little things.

I hope you weren't sitting on the floor of the lav to take that picture! New plane or not, that'd be gross.

Also, where are the pictures of the cute VS girls? They're just as cute as the SQ girls. And their accent....
                    Last edited by globetrekker84; 13 December 2006, 12:54 PM. Reason: VS girls comment.

Comment

quik! Many thanks for sharing. VS PE does really look good! Especially the seats.

Comment

Nice! I must try VS PE one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                          Also, where are the pictures of the cute VS girls? They're just as cute as the SQ girls. And their accent....
                          Whenever I think of VS girls, I always think of this story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4759300.stm

Comment

Thanks for that Quik! I've not been in the new premium cabin, it looks great. VS do make you feel like you're NOT travelling on Y if you're in Premium. Unlike BA!

A friend told me that they had wanted to call Premium "Middle Class" (and there's Upper Class) and rename Economy "Working Class"! LOL! But then they thought better of it.....

Comment

Thanks for sharing, quik! .

Comment

Working...
                              X