• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report: Excellent Way to Fly – JAL CGK-NRT-JFK in First

Trip Report: Excellent Way to Fly – JAL CGK-NRT-JFK in First

Photo album:
    http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...ebruary%202016

As many of you know, American Airlines is going to devalue its award charts and many mileage awards especially those in first class will increase significantly. For transpacific routes from USA to Asian Region 2, the price will increase from 67.5K to 110K one way, which is about double the previous prices. Plus earning will be based on revenue soon beginning in Fall 2015. Even flying first and business, your earning rate will suffer. I have thought of many ways to use these miles and ended up using it on first class from Jakarta to JFK via Tokyo. I can get two JAL first class flights, which both feature long haul services. Despite being under the weather and not being able to drink more than a glass of Salon S Champagne, I still think I get really good values. While JAL First suites are not the most fancy first class suites out there, the service is impeccable and the F/As are nothing but efficient, graceful, polite, and warm. The food is excellent (but as a disclosure, I love Japanese food). All the amenities are nice and I have nothing but praise for JAL First Class.

February 17, 2016
    JL 726 CGK-NRT Lv2125 Arr0635 Next Day Boeing 777-300ER JA739J

Check-in:

JAL uses Terminal 2D at CGK’s rather outdated terminal, and please be reminded that there is a passport & ticket check, along with security check before you are permitted to enter the check-in area. Please remember to print out your e-ticket receipt or have your e-tickets handy on your smart phone.

Check-in desks are not too busy, as I arrived three hours prior to departure. There is a dedicated first class/Emerald lane, and the agent was very efficient and friendly. My bag was checked through to JFK, and I also received a lounge invitation to the Pura Indah lounge. There are actually two sections – one first class and one business class. As a first class passenger, I have access to the first class section, which I have not visited before.

This lounge experience is the weakest part of the whole journey. When I first arrived at the lounge, the place was so crowded that I could not even find a seat till some other flights departed. While I don’t expect JAL to have its own lounge at Jakarta, I hope all these non-GA airlines can get their acts together before the new terminal will open. Oneworld carriers should get together and open a larger lounge with more natural light, more amenities, more seating, and fast working WIFI.

Since passengers have to go through security before approaching the gate area, I left the sad looking lounge about an hour prior to departure. The boarding area, D7, was divided into two sections: one for first/business class/priority passengers, and a second one for economy class passengers. While the premium cabin looked fairly busy, economy class cabin looked not too full this evening. Boarding finally began at 9pm, and first class was three quarter full (6 out of 8 seats were occupied). JAL First Class cabin looked very smart and stylish, and I love the brown fabric seats. There were two F/As assigned to first class, along with the purser, and three of them immediately introduced themselves to each passenger, distributed pajamas, took order of pre-takeoff beverages, and passed out menus. Many first class passengers chose to change into pajama immediately, but I chose to do so after takeoff. Since it was an overnight flight with a relatively short flying time, the F/As worked efficiently. But while being efficient, they maintained their friendliness and nothing was ever too much to ask. That service attitude is something that I find lacking with the new Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, and most Middle East and European airlines.

My seat this evening: 2K

Cabin shot:

Pre-takeoff beverage:

Door was closed early at 9:13pm and it continued to amaze me how the Japanese airlines can board a full load of Boeing 777 in thirteen minutes. What it takes in reality is consideration (such as moving into aisles to let other passengers passed by you), and high organization. We pushed back five minutes early, and we took off from R/W25R at 9:37pm.

Tonight’s flying time is six hours and thirty-three minutes and the routing took us towards Maja at 35,000feet, and then cities of Tangit, Kapit, Belaga, and Long Lama, before descending towards 31,000ft. Then we passed Membakut, Pulau Gaya, Narra, Puerto Princesa, Boayan Island, and Busuanga, and then climbed to 37,000feet before passing Manila and Illagan City, and then climbed to 39,000ft after leaving the Philippines. Because of turbulence, the pilots descended towards 37,000ft before flying back to 39,000 feet again. Due to favorable tail wind, we took quite a huge detour around the coast of Japan, as there is a curfew at Narita, as no arrivals are permitted before 6am.

Seat belt sign was turned off five minutes after takeoff. The F/As immediately swung into action and I was immediately invited to the bathroom with a fresh pair of pajama, and as soon as I stepped out from the lavatory, a F/A immediately got my clothes and hang them up. Beverage and meal orders were immediately taken, and the F/As emphasized that I could order as many items from the a la carte menu as possible. Given the poor array of food in the lounge, most passengers actually chose to eat. I was fairly hungry, so I chose to start with the sushi plate and caviar, and then a bowl of noodles. The food was delicious and the F/As served them with a smile and just the right speed.

Hot towel to start

Wine List – same for this and next flight
    Wine List
    Champagne
    Champagne SALON 2004
    Bollinger La Grande Annee 2005

White Wines
    Bourgogne France
    Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru “Sous Le Puits” 2010
    Bordeaux France
    CLOS FLORIDENE blanc, Graves Aoc 2013
    Austrian
    Brundimayer Riesling Steinmassel 2013
    Japan
    SUNTORY Tomi no Oka Winery “Tomi no Oka” KOSHU 2013

Red Wines
    Bordeaux France
    Chateau Langoa Barton, St Julien AOC 2011
    Bourgogne France
    Volnay Caillerets Ancienne Cuvee Carnot 1er Cru Domaine Bouchard Pere & Fils
    California USA
    Ch.igai Takaha “SONO” Pinot Noir 2013
    New Zealand
    Kusuda Martinborough Syrah 2013

“The Passion of Japan”
    Premium Japanese Sake Junmai Daiginjo
    Jyuyondai
    Kokuryu
    Premium Japanese Shochu
    Gokujo Mori Izo
    Hyakunen no Kodoku

Premium Japanese Tea
    Royal Blue Tea “Queen of Blue”

I love the logo

Beverage & setup

A La Carte

Japanese A La Carte
    Assorted Sushi & Savory Steamed Egg Custard

Tokyo Curry Lab X Japan Airlines
    Japanese Seafood Curry with Steamed Rice

Light Meal
    Assorted Cheese
    Caviar

Noodles
    Japanese “Soba” Noodles & “Somen” Noodles
    “Ramen” Noodles in Miso Flavored Soup

Japanese Hot “Udon” Noodles with Seaweed

After supper, the F/A immediately asked me if I wanted breakfast, and it was okay for her to set up my bed on the aisle seat right across from my window seat. They also passed out the amenity kit and the Shiseido Men set.

I pretty much went straight to bed, as JAL has a very weak entertainment system. There are basically nothing much to watch, in terms of television programs. Since I will be traveling on the same aircraft to JFK, I bought a 24-hours WIFI pass for $18.80, which is quite reasonable. The speed is decent for most of the flights. I managed to do some basic social media, surfing, and followed my own flight on flightradar24. I tried to watch some youtube videos, but not always successful. In general, it worked all right. I was able to continue to use my WIFI pass on the next flight from Narita to JFK.

Comment

Origami in the bathroom

Snack Pantry

Around an hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure, they switched on the cabin lights in first class. Hot towel and beverages were served first, and then breakfast was served in one tray. It was another delicious breakfast, and I was very happy with both the quality and quantity.

Morning Beverage

Japanese Breakfast

Sakizuke
      Salmon Roe & Vinegared Vegetables

Kobachi
      Seared Tuna Loin

Egg Cake with Okra

Braised Beef “Sukiyaki” Style

Dainomono
      Grilled Cod “Saikyo Miso” Style

Steamed Rice
      Or
      Japanese Congee

Miso Soup

Japanese Pickles

Western Breakfast
      Fruit Starter
      Fresh Salad

Main Dish
      [December] Pancake with Mixed Berry Compote & Maple Syrup Butter
      Tortilla Gratin & Apple Chicken Sausage
      [January] Belgian Waffles with Mixed Berry Compote & Maple Syrup Butter
      Hashed Potato & Apple Chicken Sausage
      [February] Croque Madame with Hashed Potato

Plain Yogurt
      Corn Flakes, Caramel Banana & Caramel Cream

After breakfast, F/As began to invite all the pajama-wearing passengers to switch back to their street clothes. They approached each of us one by one, and the F/A offered me a fresh pair of pajama to bring home, which I appreciated. Then the purser and each first class F/A thanked each of us one by one, as they were told to take their seats earlier than normal.

Comment

Descent began at 5:36am Tokyo local time.

We landed on Narita’s R/W34R at 6:10am.

We parked at gate 61 at 6:23am.

February 18, 2016
        JL 6 Tokyo Narita to New York John F Kennedy Lv1100 Arr0955 Boeing 777-300ER JA739J

Tokyo Narita Airport was pretty quiet at 6am, especially inside the secured area. None of the shops and restaurants, and even lounges was officially opened, but since two other passengers and me were transiting to the US, the lounge supervisor approached us, as we waited outside the lounge. We were welcomed into the lounge and I was the only one in the first class section for a whole hour. The lounge was actually very clean when I walked in, and I just settled in a corner.

First Class lounge

Buffet – food and beverage

Comment

Sushi Bar

Sake Bar

Comment

Shower – After an overnight flight, taking a shower was my priority, which was my first task when the clock clicked to 7:30am. The shower was pretty decent – not fancy like Cathay Pacific the Wing, but acceptable.

View of the JA739J from lounge

Comment

Boarding began at 10:35am at Gate 61

Cabin Shot

Business class – mini section behind first class

Seat 1A

Storage bin

Comment

Electronic Seat Control

Since the flight was 100% full in first class, the F/As were a bit more hectic, but then it was a daytime flight, so passengers were not in a rush to change into pajama and going to sleep. I was once again invited to change into my pajama, but once again I waited till after takeoff. A pair of BOSE noise-canceling headsets and an amenity kit were immediately offered, instead of after lunch.

Details of amenity kit & men/women additional amenities:

Crews operating today’s flight

Despite being a full flight, door was closed at 10:54am and once again, boarding was completed in nineteen minutes. We pushed back eleven minutes later.

Comment

Ground crews waving to passengers

Air New Zealand Boeing 787-9

Heading to Chicago

ANA Boeing 777-300ER JA790A to JFK

We finally took off from R/W16R at 11:32am, and our pilots estimated our flying time to be a quick eleven hours and thirty-three minutes (almost an hour quicker than normal). For the first part of the flight, we slowly climbed from 32,000ft to 35,000ft, before reaching Neah Bay, Alaska, and then climbed up to 37,000ft, as we passed North Stanwood, Lone Pine, Lewistown, Miles City, Hettinger, Lemmon, McLaughlin, Aberdeen, St Peters, Rochester, Onmaska, Flint, Lake Erie, Mayville, Scranton, and then onto JFK.

Skymap

Shortly after takeoff from Tokyo Narita

Seat belt sign stayed on longer than normal due to strong wind, but seat belt sign was turned off at 11:46am. One by one, passengers were invited to change into their pajama. For those who were interested in the order, they started from the aft to front. Beverage and lunch order were taken next. As a Japanese food lover, I chose the Japanese lunch.

Hot towel in lacquered tray

Beverage with canapés

Canapés - Gorgonzola blue cheese w/prosciutto, Abalone w/dried mullet roe, & Salmon roe radish ball

Packaged Otsumami next

Comment

Red Wine

Beautiful sky

Setup

Chopsticks

Japanese
                    The menu is created by prominent Chef Seiji Yamamoto of “Nihon-ryori RyuGin” Roppongi Tokyo.

Seasonal five colorful delicacies

Simmered Yellowtail & Radish in Soy Sauce

Egg Cake

Scallop & Sea Urchin dressed with Mustard Vinegar Miso

Simmered Conger Eel roll with “Yuba”

Simmered Taro with Stir-fried Duck & Welsh Onion

Owan
                    Japanese Clear Soup with Steamed Prawn Mousse & Grated Turnip

Comment

Seafood

Boiled “Mastuba” Snow Crab with Citrus Vinegar Jelly & Pickled Radish

Cold Steamed Egg Custard with Smoked Potato Potage & Pureed Welsh Onion Soup accompanied by Caviar

Dainomono

“Wagyu” Beef Fillet Sukiyaki accented with Black Pepper

Hanmono
                      Steamed Rice (Japanese Peppered Flavored Young Sardines)
                      We are pleased to offer freshly steamed Koshihikari rice.

Comment

Egg – additional to the menu – Japanese soft boiled egg

Tomewan
                        Miso Soup

Japanese Pickles

Sweets

Roppongi Pudding

Dekopon Orange, Yuzu, & Coconut Sobrbet
                        Please add Grand Marnier to your choice

Ryugin’s Specialty – Japanese Style Baked Pistachio Cake

Western
                        The menu is created by Chef Yosuke Sugar of “Sugalabo” Kamiya-cho, Tokyo

Amuse Bouche
                        Rice Wafers filled with Foie Gras Mousse & Raw Peppers

Hors-d’oeuvre (Choice)
                        Caviar accompanied by Smoked Salmon & Potato, Herb Caper Sauce
                        Warm Lobster Bisque with Winter Vegetables
                        Grilled Scallop with Turnip Puree in Salad Style

Main Dish (Choice)
                        Braised Japanese Beef Cheek in Red Wine with deep flavor
                        Roasted Quail stuffed with Mushroom Rice
                        Miso-grilled Black Cod with Warm Veloute of Winter Radish

Assortment of Artisanal breads
                        Pain de Campagne
                        Soy Milk Butter Roll

Special Bread from Maison Kayser
                        Petit Ekmek & Sweet Potato Petit Bread

Dessert
                        SUGALABO Mont Blanc

Seat in recline position

Comment

Mid-flight

I pretty much slept through the first part of the flight. But the F/As checked on the cabin frequently, and the moment they saw me waking up, they immediately offered me beverages and snacks. There were many items in the menu that I wanted to try, so I decided on the soup and pork cutlet sandwich.

Cream Soup with Lobster, Truffle & Mushrooms accompanied by Leaf Pie

“Sangenton” Pork Cutlet Sandwich

JAL First Class Coffee Mug – used to be a gift to all first class passengers

Strangely Japan Airlines no longer offers a proper breakfast menu, as a proper arrival meal. Instead, it offered a choice of Japanese and Western plate lunch designed by a Japanese chef – not to mention it was exactly the same in first and business class. I personally think a more proper breakfast tray should be offered, just similar to what ANA offers. The plate lunch set was also a bit on the small side with lack of courses, and I have to add components to my Japanese lunch plate. I personally prefer a more proper breakfast plate.

F/A took last meal orders two hours prior to arrival, but meals could be not served as late as 90 minutes prior to arrival.

BEDD Sky Auberge by JAL
                          Cuisine by Fumiko Kono
                          The menu is created by renowned fine cuisine producer and chef – her home ground is Paris – Fumiko Kono

“Fumiko’s Japanese Set Plate”

Dainomono
                          Seared Alfonsino “Sashimi” Style with Shallot Soy Dressing

Poached Chrysanthemum Flowers & Leaves
                          Radish with Drilled Mullet Roe

Soup
                          Japanese Clear Soup with Root Vegetables & Japanese Parsley

Steamed Rice

Kounomono
                          Japanese Pickles

“Fumiko’s Western Set Plate”
                          Main Dish
                          Brandade of Cod & Celeriac with Truffle Dressing

Strawberry & Chervil Salad

Special bread from Maison Kayser
                          Spinach & Yuzu Petit Bread, Petit Strawberry
                          You can enjoy your breads with butter & cherry jam

Comment

Japanese Hot “Udon” Noodles with Edible Wild Plants

I requested a fruit plate after the set plate!

Sunrise

Refreshment
                            Assorted Seasonal Fresh Fruits

Passing Lake Erie

Descent began at 8:35am and the F/As passed out some sweets for first class, as well as thanking each passenger.
                            Jean-Paul Hevin “Songe” exclusive for JAL
                            Jean-Paul Hevin “Amer”

Approaching NYC area

Comment

We landed on R/W31R at 9:05am, fifty minutes early.

JAL 787 – JL 3 heading back to Narita

We parked at gate 3 eight minutes later.
                              The immigration hall was empty, as we were the first flight arriving this morning. We arrived before Korean Air Airbus A380, so most passengers got through quickly.

I hope you enjoy this trip report. While JAL might not be a fancy airline offering amazing suites, like Etihad, the cabin and seats were very comfortable. The service was simply amazing and you could not fault the F/A at all. They were personable, despite some language barrier. They were attentive without being intrusive. The catering was excellent, despite some cutbacks in the a la carte menu. I think this 67,500miles were well spent, and if I have to buy a first class ticket in the future, Japan Airlines is on the top of my list.

Carfield

PS. I actually got a set of women cosmetic items for my mom but did not upload the pictures yet. I will add them to the trip report once I am back in the US this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X