BTC planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTC planning

I've got a plethora of SQ flights coming up in the next 3-4 months and I am seeking some help in planning BTC so that I get to sample the best dishes available (in your humble opinions) and also get a range of flavours and tastes from the various ports from which I will be departing.

There are 5 flights, as follows (in chronological order):

SQ222 SYD-SIN : F
    SQ892 SIN-HKG : F
    SQ321 LHR-SIN : F
    SQ468 SIN-CMB : J
    SQ221 SYD-SIN : J (A380 - not sure if there are different choices for that??)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance on these. I am certainly looking forward to all the flights - BTC is (no pun intended) really the icing on the cake.
    Check out my Trip Reports at:
    Phil's Travel Diary

PhilH, I'm envious!

As far as BTC goes, surely it depends also on your personal tastes ? Perhaps narrow down the choices to what sounds good to you and then others can comment ?

Comment

jhm you're quite right, I'm not expecting everyone else to do my work for me! However I just wanted some guidance from those who have tasted various dishes from the above BTC options and could give some favourites or ones to avoid.

I'm pressed for time right now, but I'll go through the menus later and list what I'm considering for greater scrutiny!
      Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

I quite liked the lobster ex-SIN in J, though portions were a little small. I hear it's even better ex-SYD.

The duck with yam rice ex-SIN in J is also quite tasty.

Enjoy your flights!
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

My recommendations:

Ex-SIN F: lobster thermidor, lamb.
          Ex-LHR F: lamb.

Ex-SYD J: NOT the barramundi.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            My recommendations:
            Ex-SYD J: NOT the barramundi.

Sorry about that!
            I heard the lobster in F is very good.

Ex-SIN F: lobster thermidor, lamb.
            Now from Singapore, I usually have the rack of lamb, or 8oz rib eye steak. The later is a huge meat. I usually ordered it, but with the intention to let the lovely crew enjoy it, and I go for what's from the menu, especially after having many great foods at Singapore with good friends around...

Lobster ex-SIN is my least preferred nowdays. It's too small and too many mushrooms in the sauce.

Ex-LHR F: lamb.

I did try the pheasant ex-LHR. Too bland for me.
            And yes, when I ordered my BTC ex-LHR for SQ319 or SQ321, I will have it not for after taking off, but 2 or 3 hours prior to land in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilH View Post
              I'm pressed for time right now, but I'll go through the menus later and list what I'm considering for greater scrutiny!
              Remember that you can have your BTC ordered 24 hours prior to your flight schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                The duck with yam rice ex-SIN in J is also quite tasty.
                I tried both in F and J, and it's a strange dish for me. But one time, I had to switch BTC with my travel mate (he had ordered duck yam rice), but he decided to have my rib eye steak instead. Fortunately, the lovely and caring LS knew I did not like yam rice. So the LS cleared out all the yam from the rice. And of course I enjoyed my duck and rice.
                Hmm I sound like a real PITA pax eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  I tried both in F and J, and it's a strange dish for me.
                  I've only had it in J, and I had the same reaction. I just chalked it up to experience.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I just chalked it up to experience.
                    True... I had tried many different dishes, but for the sake of experience. But at the end, I would come back to the same dish...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                      I tried both in F and J, and it's a strange dish for me.
                      I actually ordered my BTC via the phone and as my access to the internet was down at the time I didn't see the actual menu. The SQ res staff only mentioned 'duck with rice' and so I took it. Thus when the FA told me that there'd be yam in the rice I was quite hesitant as I didn't know what on earth yam was - but it ended up being quite yummy.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

OK, thanks for all your help and suggestions so far. jhm was proved right in that having failed to narrow down my choices, some things that I don't particularly like have been mentioned - for example I'm not the world's biggest fan of lamb!

Anyway, I have perused the BTC menu's and here is what I'm thinking about with some explanatory notes in italics:

SYD-SIN - F
                        This is the main daytime flight I've booked, so something that will fill me up, but doesn't necessarily have to be too light. Having tried the Lobster once already (ex-SIN), I think I might go with the Cantonese duck, although SQ LPP says the Lobster is good ex-SYD (that much better than ex-SIN?)
                        - Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice
                        - Cantonese roast duck with vegetables and steamed rice

SIN-HKG - F
                        This is the shortest flight, so I can really indulge and try out the steak ex-SIN which might be too heavy for the longer flights. Is it to rave about, or are there other must-try's ex-SIN? This is my only ex-SIN F flight.
                        - 8 oz. U.S.A. rib-eye steak

LHR-SIN - F
                        This is the late 10pm departure, so a light option is the order of the day to aid sleep (I will most probably eat before bed at the start of the flight). Seafood would be perfect, hence the choices. How's the Lobster ex-LHR?
                        - Fried fillet of monkfish
                        - Lobster Thermidor

SIN-CMB - J
                        This dish is just about on every menu, so with two ex-SIN J flights to go, I might as well try it out - it sounds like something I'd like.
                        - Singapore Chicken Rice

SIN-SYD - J
                        The other ex-SIN J dish I was looking at. Might as well try it on this flight and find out what yam is (I don't know either)!
                        - Braised soya-flavoured duck with yam rice

Once again, thanks to everyone for their contributions! I will of course be TR'ing all these flights in my usual style!
                        Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

One quick question. In this post - is this chicken or duck? The post title says duck, the message says it's the Japanese chicken, it looks more like the duck though...

Interesting also to see the decline between the two monkfish shots ex-LHR in Nov 05 and Feb 07!
                          Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

I think it's chicken. Don't you just love looking at pictures of food?

I'm starting my flights this Fri!

Comment

A very good research you have done! Of course, SQFAN will be the right person to answer.
                              But if I recall correctly from what I had tried, the first question is a roasted duck and rice.
                              And yes, for different year, the presentation and preparation of the food might be different. Similar to beef bulgogi ex-LAX as well as ex-NRT. Rolled beef, then unrolled version.

Comment

Working...
                              X