Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 016 R-Class Menu from 1/9/1979

First post up on this site!

Here is the BA/SQ Concorde menu SIN-LHR on 1/9/1979.
    I was very young and traveling with my mother, going to boarding school in the UK.

Thanks for sharing!

I was about to ask where's the caviar but it appeared eventually.

Comment

Wow, you are one lucky guy that had been on the concorde before.

OT: How much does a trip on the concorde cost? I assume there's no Y in the concode so it must be ex..
      We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Here is part of the time-table with a price list:-

The price of SQ/BA Concorde one way LHR-SIN in 1979 is an astonishing £1126.50 or SG$ 4798.00.
        One way LHR-JFK costs £ 604.50!!!!!

That's inflation for you!
        Last edited by xtra1; 13 October 2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, xtra1. And cheers for sharing.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by xtra1 View Post
            Here is part of the time-table with a price list:-

The price of SQ/BA Concorde one way LHR-SIN in 1979 is an astonishing £1126.50 or SG$ 4798.00.
            One way LHR-JFK costs £ 604.50!!!!!

That's inflation for you!
            Oh my gosh, considering it was back in 1979, $4798.00 is a HUGE amount. Not forgeting that it's one way only. *Sigh* Poor blokes like me will never get to make it to the concorde, if it is still around now that is.
            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Fantastic. What a great blast from the past!

Comment

I agree with the others: awesome, xtra1! Thanks, and welcome to SQTalk.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks and welcome to SQTalk, xtra1.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I like the list of Aperitifs very 70's

But no Krug must be the BA influence.

Comment

xtra1, fantastic pictures - thanks very much for sharing!

The total flight time seems to be 8:15 hours - presumably this doesn't include the refueling stop in BAH ? Assuming that's the case, was it a total flight time of around 9-10 hours ? Not that much quicker than a 747 today but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Concorde was limited in its speed over land due to the sonic boom etc ?

Apart from the kudos of flying supersonic, it's also interesting to see that the food options nowadays in SQ F (even leaving aside BTC) seem a lot better than on Concorde. Or is that just the BA influence ?

Comment

jhm
                        The flight time was about 9 hours.
                        From SIN (Paya Lebar) west around the tip of India and into Bahrain. The sector from Bahrain to London was mostly done sub-sonically. It was basically supersonic over the sea. Subsonic over land.
                        However, those were the days when a 747 flight from Singapore to Europe had about 2 to 3 stops. For example, SQ 024 was routed SIN-CMB-AUH-PAR-AMS( I'll post a menu soon).
                        Business Class had not been introduced and there were no airline lounges. (For Concorde; an area was set aside by the departure Gate for canapes and champagne instead.)
                        The SQ/BA Concorde itself had one side painted in SQ colours, the other BA.
                        It was basically a BA service with Singapore cabin crew.

Note the Havana cigars available , to smoke during the flight!
                        Last edited by xtra1; 16 October 2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I actually think stuff out of the Dominican Republic's better these days.... but hey, what do I know about tobacco anyway?

Comment

Gosh - that is rare and valuable memorabalia now. Hang on to it! I managed to fly Concorde a few times but not, alas, across the Atlantic. But to have SIN-LHR Concorde ticket - that's prestige!

Comment

jhm
                              The flight time was about 9 hours.
                              From SIN (Paya Lebar) west around the tip of India and into Bahrain. The sector from Bahrain to London was mostly done sub-sonically. It was basically supersonic over the sea. Subsonic over land.
                              However, those were the days when a 747 flight from Singapore to Europe had about 2 to 3 stops. For example, SQ 024 was routed SIN-CMB-AUH-PAR-AMS( I'll post a menu soon).
                              Business Class had not been introduced and there were no airline lounges. (For Concorde; an area was set aside by the departure Gate for canapes and champagne instead.)
                              The SQ/BA Concorde itself had one side painted in SQ colours, the other BA.
                              It was basically a BA service with Singapore cabin crew.

Nice thread!

I remember in 1981 as a kid I flew SQ from CMB to London and the flight was routed SIN-CMB-DUBAI-ZURICH-LHR

Probably the only time the SQ 747 ever came to Colombo!!

Comment

Working...
                              X