Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage run: LHR -> PVG

Hi peeps,

Looks like one of my scheduled trips back to KUL is not going to be materialised, so decided to change to PVG instead. Can anyone recommend what is the best *A airline to take for this? The price has to be around RM4K, that's around USD1000...

Many thanks!
    Last edited by quik!; 13 November 2006, 11:15 PM. Reason: Ops! Pudong, Shanghai!!

is PDG padang? I like indonesia a lot also!

Comment

Pudong la!

Comment

LH and OS usually have rather good fares to China. Don't forget VS too - they're not *A but you still earn KF tier miles with them. And VS will get you there on the most direct route, whereas you'd have to fly via VIE or FRA on the other two. Of the 3 I'd say VS is the superior airline.

It could help if you advised of your preferred departure dates so one of the folks here could look it up for you.

Of course, if you want the 'best' airline and are willing to go on a less direct routing - there's always SQ LHR-SIN-PVG.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Haha, of course the best run would be LHR->SIN>PVG and in the process I'll get my head chopped OFF.

Probably 7th Dec, returning 10 Dec.

Which airline is better, between those 3? hmmm

Comment

Oooh...thanks for letting me know re the VS.

I just went to VS, and tried a search and it returned GBP 556.00 all in, and upgraded my outbound to Premium Economy. Fantastic, plus this is a direct flight.

This booking earns 14,298 Flying Club miles.. Does this translates to 14,298 KF miles?

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
              This booking earns 14,298 Flying Club miles.. Does this translates to 14,298 KF miles?
              No, I don't think it does. The FC mileage calculation should include a bonus for flying in Premium Economy. I don't think KrisFlyer gives a bonus for VS Premium Economy.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Surely if you're doing it purely as a mileage run to PVG/SHA, you'd want to go indirect ?

I tapped your dates (7 and 10 Dec) into www.omegatravel.ltd.uk (who I've used before in the past) and it came up with the following prices (excluding tax) for a return:

OS - £215 - W class
                LH - £238 - W class
                VS - £249 - N class
                SK - £359 - V class
                SK - £403 - Q class
                etc

Of course, you'll have to check that the ticket class will earn you miles on KF, there's availability etc.

Edit: whilst I've never tried VS Y (or VS UC for that matter), what I read about VS Y on TOF doesn't make me want to try it in a hurry!

Further edit: I see that it's VS premium Y so perhaps my previous comment should be disregarded. I only remember reading recently (probably on the BA board) that the new premium Y looks quite good.
                Last edited by jhm; 15 November 2006, 06:04 AM. Reason: Added excluding tax

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                  You should get about 11 510 miles. As pointed out by jjpb3, your VS Y+ flight will accrue at 100% on KF.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

There have been reports of UK travel agents who cater to the Chinese-speaking market offering unpublished fares from LHR to PEK/PVG on SQ via SIN for about GBP500 RT.

Comment

When I was a student many years ago, all the Malaysian and Singaporean students I knew swore by Lee's Travel and Emerald Travel. I've used the former for cheap SQ tickets but not the latter.

As far as I know, the company I mentioned above - Omega Travel - is popular with the Mainland Chinese here in the UK. The TA also advertises (along with others located in London's Chinatown) in the UK's Chinese language newspaper.

Comment

I haven't used Lee's Travel but was recommended them by SQ at the recent WTM new products Do.

Comment

Recommended by SQ for what ?

The last time I used them was for my SQ Y trip last Jan - they were the cheapest to Singapore I could find and the tix was eligible for miles (which lead me to join TOF...).

Comment

Darn, I just re-check the price on VS with outbound flight upgraded to Premium Economy, but seems like they have raised the price. Crap!

Will probably take the LH via FRA. Yields 12K miles, not bad then!

Comment

Alright, decided to get VS on Premium Economy.

And then I realised I needed a Visa to enter China. Will get that sorted the first thing tomorrow.

Can anyone shed some light on what I should expect on PE? I pretty much know of the standard stuff written on the website, just wanted to know if there are unwritten info that I could use Oh, and I think I got seat 21K assigned.

Comment

Working...
                              X