Tokyo - New York ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo - New York ?

Or is the lack of desired slots, or aircraft, going to put paid to it ?.

Wouldn't that be a hard market given the UA-NH and AA-JL JVs?
    an infrastructure geek

Comment

SQ already codeshare with NH on Tokyo - New York (NRT-JFK) route.

Comment

I don't think SQ has any interest in more 5th freedom flights right now, especially to New York City. NYC is already well-served with the daily EWR nonstop and the JFK one-stop via FRA, I doubt SIN-NYC demand warrants another one-stop flight. Moreover I think FRA-JFK does sufficiently well to be maintained, unlike DME-IAH which became MAN-IAH.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          I don't think SQ has any interest in more 5th freedom flights right now
          This is sad to hear. Wish SQ would use HKG as a fifth freedom hub and would operate more flights to US from there.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
            This is sad to hear. Wish SQ would use HKG as a fifth freedom hub and would operate more flights to US from there.
            Believed HKG have more flights to the US and CX hav a number of flights to US cities, and SQ do not think will have any advantage by using HKG for its US flights.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              Believed HKG have more flights to the US and CX hav a number of flights to US cities, and SQ do not think will have any advantage by using HKG for its US flights.
              I remembered SQ used to have HKG-LAS flights. It would definitely be interesting to see if SQ operates US routes out of HKG and become a competitive to CX.

I guess that only exist in dreams now as SQ can operate ultra-long flights to/from US w/o using HKG as a hub.

SQ if you're seeing this, there are fans in/around HKG who would choose to fly you over other carriers if you use HKG as a major 5th freedom hub.

Comment

Very hard for SQ to compete in HKG as here are CX and US airlines, and not forgetting the nearby Chinese airlines which fly to many US cities and are very cost effective too,

Comment

SQ Granted 5th Freedom Tokyo to New York

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kLkd13rY_a8

Comment

Interesting. Many possibilities here. Cease FRA and start HND? Or make it 3 flights to NYC?

Comment

Weren't they trying to reduce their 5th freedom flying? Besides, this just means that Singaporean airlines have been given the right to fly between the two cities, not just SIA (though realistically SIA is the only one of any scale capable of that)

Either way, TYO-NYC is a pretty saturated market between the JL/AA and NH/UA JVs. Hard to see SIA getting a piece of the pie unless they join the UA/NH one, and that's still unlikely given their history.

Originally posted by oliverdave View Post
                      Interesting. Many possibilities here. Cease FRA and start HND? Or make it 3 flights to NYC?
                      NRT probably given HND slot restrictions. Though if it's NRT I'm starting to consider the possibility of Scoot setting up a scissor hub there, perhaps with some connections from Peach.
                      Last edited by yuuka_miya; 31 December 2019, 02:34 AM.
                      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Believed SQ will take it up as its hard to get Japan's 5th freedom right and if SQ do not take it up, will possibly lose this right in near future. Although this TYO-NY route is saturated, but its worth a try for SQ as no other Asian airlines have got this traffic right from TYO-NYC except for Japanese and US airlines. SQ will likely use one of their SIN-TYO flights to extend to New York.

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                          Weren't they trying to reduce their 5th freedom flying? Besides, this just means that Singaporean airlines have been given the right to fly between the two cities, not just SIA (though realistically SIA is the only one of any scale capable of that)

Either way, TYO-NYC is a pretty saturated market between the JL/AA and NH/UA JVs. Hard to see SIA getting a piece of the pie unless they join the UA/NH one, and that's still unlikely given their history
                          I see 2 daily scheduled flight between HND-JFK n 2 daily scheduled flight between NRT-JFK. So total 4 flights per day

I think the demand is enough for SQ to go into this route.

Comment

The 77Ws would be good for this SIN-TYO-JFK routing as it have 4 classes incl premium seats, but qestion is where SQ can get at least 2 77Ws to servie this new route.
                            Last edited by flyguy; 31 December 2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Just throwing this out there... Scoot is flying to BER and ATH. Is it possible that this could be the way for Scoot to set up a tourist route to NYC?

Comment

Working...
                              X