Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be safe.

Deadly bomb blast strikes Colombo

A bomb targeting a bus in the Sri Lankan capital of Colombo has killed at least four people and injured another 20, police and military officials said.
    The bomb exploded as the military bus was passing a busy junction in a district that houses key military installations, early reports said.

A hospital official told Reuters that two of those killed were soldiers.

Victims were taken to the Colombo national hospital, where several people were reportedly in critical condition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7167384.stm

Comment

CGK, I saw plenty of tuk tuks but didn't get the chance to ride in one!

The Hilton CMB was good - I don't have much to add to the TOF report linked above. As a (freebie) Hilton Gold, I was upgraded to a room on the executive floor with lounge access and fruit and a box of chocs delivered to my room. A welcome drink whilst checking-in. I had lunch (international) at the hotel restaurant (Spoons) and it was very good and tasty (I'd definitely eat there again if I didn't want to leave the hotel).

As others have said, all of the Sri Lankans I came across (including those at the airport looking for hotel customers) were polite, warm and friendly. I didn't order a taxi in advance from the Hilton but went to the Hilton desk at the airport and got a private taxi (which the hotel paid for in cash on arrival so that it appeared on my room bill). I got a hotel car on the way back which was significantly more expensive (but still cheap when comparing Sri Lankan prices to elsewhere). I was told by one of the drivers that there used to be train service to the airport but this had to be discontinued because of "security" reasons...

And finally, the forbidden room view...

Last edited by jhm; 6 January 2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
        On my next overnight in CMB, I'm not going to bother going into town...going to stay at the Taj Airport Garden instead. They have a $68+tax prepaid rate that includes airport transfers.
        How was the Taj ? One of my CMB visits next year involves arriving at 0:15 and departing at 9:30 so going into town for the Hilton (and BD miles) seems a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          How was the Taj ? One of my CMB visits next year involves arriving at 0:15 and departing at 9:30 so going into town for the Hilton (and BD miles) seems a bit silly.
          Pretty decent....functional like a Hampton Inn in the US. Broadband in room, good buffet breakfast, 10 min to the airport (about 350 rupees by taxi, I booked a rate that didn't include transfers but included breakfast for GBP29+tax). Plus you earn BD miles there too, since its part of the Taj chain.

I'm going to try out The Beach in Negombo on my next stopover next week. Got it for $97 on asiarooms.com

http://www.jetwinghotels.com/ht_gi.php?htl_id=8&cat=gi
          http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...o-Negombo.html

Comment

what's with the forbidden view? Snipers shooting into hotel?

Comment

I'm going to try out The Beach in Negombo on my next stopover next week. Got it for $97 on asiarooms.com
              Never been to Negombo area. But I heard the seafood is fabulous. Hope your hotel is not the one I am thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                Hope your hotel is not the one I am thinking of.
                This should be interesting...what exactly are you thinking of?

Comment

Perhaps it's like the Hotel 81 with paper thin walls which SQ LPP stayed in ?

Comment

Hi folks,

Was at the airport yesterday (6 June) morning, about to board the SQ flight to Singapore when there was a news flash.
                    A claymore mine exploded in a bus in South Sri Lanka, killing 20 people.
                    LTTE rebels have really gone too far !!

Comment

I would be arriving in CMB at 0120. Just wondering if there would be drivers available to make the drive to Kandy directly from the airport. Or would I be expected to overnight in Negombo, then drive to Kandy early the next morning?

I have approx 36 hours in CMB. Lots to see and do - Kandy, baby elephants, tea plantations. Must rush rush.

If anyone has contacts with drivers or could recommend bungalows in tea plantations to stay in, please let me know! Many thanks.

Comment

I personally will not try to drive at that wee hour to Khandy. I remember how sleepy the driver was while driving from Khandy back to Colombo during the day!
                        I am not too optimistic that you can do that trip in 36 hours time.

Oopsy... you are young. So anything is possible I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          I would be arriving in CMB at 0120. Just wondering if there would be drivers available to make the drive to Kandy directly from the airport. Or would I be expected to overnight in Negombo, then drive to Kandy early the next morning?
                          Just noticed a post in this thread.
                          Here is the quote:

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                          By the way there is a super boutique hotel just opening in Dec about 15 minutes from the airport, so you could go there. I just stayed there, it's just great:

http://www.thewallawwa.com/

Do NOT stay in Negombo, it's a lacklustre little tourist trap IMO with a very unappealing beach.

Comment

Pretty decent....functional like a Hampton Inn in the US. Broadband in room, good buffet breakfast, 10 min to the airport (about 350 rupees by taxi, I booked a rate that didn't include transfers but included breakfast for GBP29+tax). Plus you earn BD miles there too, since its part of the Taj chain.
                            phaleesy and I stayed there the other night. We booked the day before a rate of US$76+tax which included transfers. No need to pre-book the transfer - we just walked out into CMB arrivals at 1:30am, went to the Taj desk and they called up the car. Functional like you say.

The front desk said they had no idea what BD is so couldn't insert my number. Checking-in at 2am and having to check-out three hours later, we were not in the mood to discuss it with them!

For my last two CMB stays (at the Hilton), it didn't happen but this time the car could only take us up to just outside the airport where we had to transfer to a bus to go the remaining distance (after about 5-10 minutes sat there) ? Perhaps a sign of increased security ?

Comment

Working...
                            X