Langkawi, Malaysia advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Langkawi, Malaysia advice needed

I am planning to do a side trip in October after work in the Philippines and Thailand to Langkawi.
    I will be actually taking my little brother with me on this trip and he has never been to South East Asia.
    I am looking for a quiet peaceful place where we can just relax, do some small activities and enjoy the surroundings. Neither one of us is into party, nightlife etc.
    I was looking into the Westin Langkawi or Sheraton Langkawi, since I am a SPG Platinum there is a good chance of an upgrade to a better room.
    Has any of you any experience and advice where to stay to make it a really wonderful experience? For my brother this will be kind of a trip of a lifetime.
    I am not 100% set on SPG property.
    Also, is Langkawi the best place to go or would you recommend another destination in that region that is more stunning with regards to nature, beaches, hotel? Penang or Bali maybe?
    I have spend a few days at the southern tip of Phuket at the Le Meridien Yacht Club, which I really enjoyed but wanted to try a different country as I haven't been to Malaysia or Indonesia yet.
    Really appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by yvrcnx; 11 June 2007, 02:16 AM.

you must take him to Bangkok and feed him till he pukes.

I stayed at Princess MBK hotel...(mabukong sp?) at the center of Bangkok and has a mall right beside it and close to street vendors so you guys will have lots of fun there.

Comment

Langkawi is a lovely island and definitely appropriate if quiet is what you want. (Or cheap wine, since it is all duty free there!). I would recommend the Westin over Sheraton as it has just undergone a massive renovation.
      If you haven't been to Indonesia as yet, I would recommend Bali as an option as it is also a wonderful part of the world. Don't stay in Kuta as this is the party area - maybe Ubud or Nusa Dua would suit more by the sounds of your email. Bali has lots of nature treks, cycling, elephant treks, snorkelling/diving, local art works & cultural tours which may suit.

Comment

My vote is for westin langkawi.. Its recently renovated...

Langkawi is quiet, I don't find many things to do there, but it's a great place to relax and do nothing. Thailand is great for beaches, especially in Phi Phi... Bali is a combination of cultural and natural experiences. For Bali, as Snaffled has mentioned, avoid Kuta!! The beach is full of rubbish and very touristy. You won't miss anything by not going there.

Comment

As I noted in your other thread, I have stayed at both properties when they were Sheraton's. I preferred the Perdana ( now Westin from the pictures)because of it's rooms and other facilities. The other Sheraton was nice for it's beach......If you don't mind spending more cash you might also look into the Datai......

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
            Langkawi is a lovely island and definitely appropriate if quiet is what you want. (Or cheap wine, since it is all duty free there!). I would recommend the Westin over Sheraton as it has just undergone a massive renovation.
            If you haven't been to Indonesia as yet, I would recommend Bali as an option as it is also a wonderful part of the world. Don't stay in Kuta as this is the party area - maybe Ubud or Nusa Dua would suit more by the sounds of your email. Bali has lots of nature treks, cycling, elephant treks, snorkelling/diving, local art works & cultural tours which may suit.
            Thank you, we are now planning to include Bali as neither one of us has been there. I started a seperate thread with regards which hotel to choose.
            How far is Kuta from Nusa Dua or the Intercontinental? I am not asking because I want to be close by but because we really want this to be a relaxing and peaceful time and we'd rather be far away from civilization.

Comment

hi. im kinda new here, and im also a part time bali resident. ive been to langkawi, yes its a beautiful and all that, but after a couple of days, i was over it. the beauty of bali is that it offers much more than just a beach environment. it has lakes, mountains, culture, arts, hiking, rafting, great restaurants, shopping, etc. for a first time bali visitor, i'd recommend hotel hopping assuming you have plenty of time. i kinda prefer jimbaran over nusa dua for your first stop; seafood dinner on jimbaran beach and seeing the kecak dance in uluwatu is a must. if you are over 30, i don't think hanging out in kuta would be your cup of tea. seminyak/kerobokan/canggu are much more sophisticated in restaurants/nightlife. you def have to go up to ubud and spend a couple of days there. the scenery is very different compared to south bali. and for the last stop, you can unwind in east bali. imho east bali is by far the most beautiful part of the island. you should check out baliblog.com , there's a lot of info on bali gathered by this british expat living in bali. and oh, almost forgot, while in ubud, contact john hardy (johnhardy.com), he's also a canadian residing in bali for the past 30 years or so. he runs a very succesful jewelry design firm in ubud and they always have this big lunch everyday. it's fun to join them for lunch. you have to let them know that you're coming though.
              Last edited by chelseanyc; 15 June 2007, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chelseanyc View Post
                hi. im kinda new here, and im also a part time bali resident. ive been to langkawi, yes its a beautiful and all that, but after a couple of days, i was over it. the beauty of bali is that it offers much more than just a beach environment. it has lakes, mountains, culture, arts, hiking, rafting, great restaurants, shopping, etc. for a first time bali visitor, i'd recommend hotel hopping assuming you have plenty of time. i kinda prefer jimbaran over nusa dua for your first stop; seafood dinner on jimbaran beach and seeing the kecak dance in uluwatu is a must. if you are over 30, i don't think hanging out in kuta would be your cup of tea. seminyak/kerobokan/canggu are much more sophisticated in restaurants/nightlife. you def have to go up to ubud and spend a couple of days there. the scenery is very different compared to south bali. and for the last stop, you can unwind in east bali. imho east bali is by far the most beautiful part of the island. you should check out baliblog.com , there's a lot of info on bali gathered by this british expat living in bali. and oh, almost forgot, while in ubud, contact john hardy (johnhardy.com), he's also a canadian residing in bali for the past 30 years or so. he runs a very succesful jewelry design firm in ubud and they always have this big lunch everyday. it's fun to join them for lunch. you have to let them know that you're coming though.
                WELCOME to SQTalk chelseanyc and thank you for the information above.
                After having received quite a lot of feedback from many here on this forum I did decide to go to Bali instead and we will be staying in Jimbaran, most likely at the IC.
                We only have 4 nights, so not to much time to hop around but we will have had a lot of travelling done by the time we arrive in Bali and there we would like to just enjoy being there and relaxing in a nice place.
                I appreciate your advise on east Bali and I will definetly look up the links you provided.
                Thank you.

Comment

Westin Langkawi - Good reviews ?

Hi folks,
                  Reading this thread, I was thinking of staying at the Westin Langkawi later this month (July 2008). For people who stayed that before, appreciate your feedback:

1. Do they upgrade SPG Gold members ?
                  2. How's the beach ? Nice and clean ?

Thanks
                  Acey

Comment

Any recent experiences at the Westin Langkawi?

Comment

Originally posted by kluau88 View Post
                      Any recent experiences at the Westin Langkawi?
                      Stayed there in Aug'08...not that recent...but

1. Very nice place, very new
                      2. 5 mins taxi ride to shopping malls (but hey, malls in Langkawi are in the division II league compared to those in KL and Singapore, nothing much there).
                      3. Hotel breakfast is very comprehensive, quite tasty too.
                      4. Did not get upgraded even though I am a SPG gold.
                      5. Tried the gym, not crowded, but not very comprehensive.

Comment

I work with a tourism related company here in Malaysia and we sell both, the Westin and Sheraton Langkawi. I have inspected and stayed in both.

As many have put it, Westin has better rooms (owing to their recent refurbishment and rebranding from Sheraton Perdana to Westin), whilst Sheraton has very decent rooms (a little old, but very well maintained). My preference towards a quiet, relaxing holiday is definitely toward the Sheraton with their little private coves. The beach is much nicer at the Sheraton.

As Westin is located near the pier, you may have quite a situation with ferries passing across the horizon (quite near in fact) every hour or so, and the beach is more pebbles than sand.

Both have impeccable service, but I find the Sheraton more SPG Gold / Plat friendly (in terms of upgrading to nicer view rooms / suites). If seclusion is what you are looking for, Sheraton would be it. Westin is 5 minutes from Langkawi town (Kuah) and further from the airport.

Comment

I'd recommend the Sheraton. It has beautiful location and the service was great.

As a gold I was upgraded from garden view to partial sea view. The room had also been fairly recently renovated.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                            My vote is for westin langkawi.. Its recently renovated.......
                            My first choice too! It's so much better than most other hotels.

Comment

Working...
                            X