The Oriental Hotel to be renamed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oriental Hotel to be renamed...

the....Mandarin Oriental. Must have been up all night discussing this one. Good Hotel though :

The Oriental, Singapore, one of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group’s award-winning properties, will be renamed Mandarin Oriental, Singapore from 25 September 2007.

Following an extensive refurbishment that began in 2005, which included the redesign of the 527 guestrooms and suites as well as enhancements to all public areas, dining and meeting facilities, the hotel has been re-positioned as one of Singapore’s best luxury properties. The name change was designed to coincide with this significant upgrading and to better align the hotel with the rest of the luxury properties in the world operated by the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group.

“Mandarin Oriental, Singapore will continue to provide guests with the group’s legendary service, an unbeatable location, spectacular views and the finest cuisine,” said Rajesh Jhingon, General Manager of Mandarin Oriental, Singapore.

25 September 2007 - an auspicious day in the Chinese calendar - will be the day on which the hotel’s new signage will be unveiled

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    the....Mandarin Oriental. Must have been up all night discussing this one.
    I bet they brought in the winner of the Budget Terminal Naming Contest as a special consultant.

I hope they publicize the name change enough that cabbies know about it. I once asked a cab driver to take me to the "Mandarin Oriental", and he spent a couple of minutes yammering about how that was very confusing to him as the only options should have been "The Oriental" or "The Marina Mandarin". (He was right, of course, but belaboring his point was a bit OTT. )
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Which Mandarin hotel in Singapore are you staying ?

1) The Marina Mandarin
      2) The Meritus Mandarin
      3) The Mandarin Oriental

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
        Which Mandarin hotel in Singapore are you staying ?

1) The Marina Mandarin
        2) The Meritus Mandarin
        3) The Mandarin Oriental

I was in #3 (which I acknowledge I should have called The Oriental to avoid confusing the driver). My description was "The Mandarin Oriental hotel in the Marina Bay area, please".

Comment

It was mentioned in The Straits Times quite a while ago http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/New...725-19623.html).
          Last edited by WSSS; 16 August 2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I love Mandarin Oriental ("The Oriental") in Singapore.... one of my preferred hotels.
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I've only stayed there once a few months ago and that was only because it was virtually the only place I could get a room at a days notice. I thought it was excellent. Just a pity I'm a loyalty programme tart who normally stays at Hilton and SPG properties.

Comment

The Breakfast is something i can't forget.... neither my weight loss program is able to forget that breakfast
                There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I stayed there for the first time last week on two separate occasions and really liked it. The only slight downside seems to be the location but on the other hand, Singapore taxis are so cheap (compared to London anyway) and user friendly.

The club rooms seem great value for money. I just booked yesterday for another stay at the end of this month - through their website (so no corporate discount) for US$276/night for a 8pm checkout as standard (just right for the late evening flights back to Europe), access to the club lounge (free breakfast, cocktails, wifi etc), one-way Merc transfer, two pieces of laundry a day, Molton Brown toiletries in the room etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    I was in #3 (which I acknowledge I should have called The Oriental to avoid confusing the driver). My description was "The Mandarin Oriental hotel in the Marina Bay area, please".
                    And actually this wouldn't have really narrowed it down for the driver, either...isn't the Marina Mandarin in the Marina Bay area also? Pretty much adjacent to the Oriental.

Oh well...it has been about six years and taxi drivers still do not know where the "Swissotel the Stamford" and "Raffles the Plaza" are located. I find myself saying "Westin" more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrab955 View Post
                      And actually this wouldn't have really narrowed it down for the driver, either...isn't the Marina Mandarin in the Marina Bay area also? Pretty much adjacent to the Oriental.
                      I know, that's why I acknowledge in post #4 that my description was confusing to him. However, choice #2 (Meritus Mandarin] wouldn't have muddied the waters because it's on Orchard, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        I know, that's why I acknowledge in post #4 that my description was confusing to him. However, choice #2 (Meritus Mandarin] wouldn't have muddied the waters because it's on Orchard, right?
                        You're right -- I should've read more carefully. And yes, Meritus should not be confusing, in theory...but then again try telling them you want to go to "orchard cineleisure" and find yourself ending up at the Cathay Building.

Comment

Working...
                        X