PPS Value reset to ZERO every year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPS Value reset to ZERO every year

I have been SPPS member for a long long time and supported the airline for over 35+ yrs, since the time of MSA even.

Now, I am shocked by the PPS club to essentially wanting to weed out as many SPPS members with the new PPS value of $25k which is reset every year to ZERO. No excesses (value in excess of S$25k) are allowed for the following year, and if you dont qualify, tough luck, it still gets reset to zero. So, it means, if you do only S$24,999 you still get downgraded and your PPS value is still RESET ZERO. This only means you only can get downgraded to minimum tier in the end, if you dont meet the >S$25k criteria and you can never be SPPS ever again.

I guess the airline does not value my business anymore. Over the years, I have spent in excess of 7 figures on SQ.

I have heard from an SQ VP in person at a function overseas , without mentioning names, when asked about the above issues, he said, "That is the way it is. Live with it".

What arrogance !!

Welcome to SQ Talk, 17yr_member!

IIRC, as a solitaire PPS you would drop to QPP if under PPSV 25K. But if you achieve 25K in the following year, you are pushed back to TPP.

But i guess lots of PPS share your sentiments with the arrogance of SQ.

Comment

What are the acronyms you used ? IIRC, TPP ? The others I can more or less figure out.

But, the fact that you have to achieve PPSV 25k in 12mths, means you have to actually take the trouble to calculate how much you have and make sure u just make 25k and not go over my too much, and defer trips to the following year. The burden of qualifying becomes the loyal passengers. This does not make sense at all, where the loyal passenger is doing all the work.

Sounds like the COE, where we pay for a piece of paper entitling someone to own a car, and the tearing coupon for parking, where it becomes your responsibility to make sure you pay for parking, if not get fined, that is what SQ has turned into !! SQ also instituted a fine system, for SPPS in redeeming certificates. For example, you make a mistake in your online booking and need to change, it is either USD25 or loose 2500 miles for a mistake done online. SPPS used to have fees waived for everything. Not anymore. Sounds familiar, doesnt it ?

It is really not worth to achieve SPPS now, is it ?

Comment

Eh? Don't you have to reaccumulate 25sectors every year in the past anyway, with excess sectors not being carried forward either? It's just a change in 'currency' but the requal remains the same as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
          Eh? Don't you have to reaccumulate 25sectors every year in the past anyway, with excess sectors not being carried forward either? It's just a change in 'currency' but the requal remains the same as far as I can tell.
          Well, they did also have the "50% + averaging" loophole in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by 17yr_member View Post
            I have been SPPS member for a long long time and supported the airline for over 35+ yrs, since the time of MSA even.

Now, I am shocked by the PPS club to essentially wanting to weed out as many SPPS members with the new PPS value of $25k which is reset every year to ZERO. No excesses (value in excess of S$25k) are allowed for the following year, and if you dont qualify, tough luck, it still gets reset to zero. So, it means, if you do only S$24,999 you still get downgraded and your PPS value is still RESET ZERO. This only means you only can get downgraded to minimum tier in the end, if you dont meet the >S$25k criteria and you can never be SPPS ever again.

I guess the airline does not value my business anymore. Over the years, I have spent in excess of 7 figures on SQ.

I have heard from an SQ VP in person at a function overseas , without mentioning names, when asked about the above issues, he said, "That is the way it is. Live with it".

What arrogance !!
            Although I like to fly SQ, it is not blind faith. After 17 years faithfully with the airline and spending more than 1 Million, it is not the way to treat you.

Best thing is to give SQ a boot by not flying with them as there are other airlines that already close to SQ's service and hardware. For example Jet Airways, CX and the Mid-East airlines are getting very good and you pay less. Vote with your pocket.

Anyway, most of the time SQ wasted their money on some not very successful investments overseas rather than enhancing the experiences. It is "very heng" that the present board is not buying into China Eastern Airlines.

Comment

SQ is going to weed out as many PPS and SPPS members as they possibly can in a short time, no matter what. LIke we hav edown scaling, this how we all get downscaled. For PPS and SPPS, the sector and mile requirement dont exist anymore for requalification.

Looks like those of us that got bit, will look to other airlines now. How nice, we loyal customers are being forced out. Times a-changing. "That is the way it is. Live with it." That was what SQ told me. Like people who got to laid off, they get the same line.

Comment

What arrogance !!
                I can understand why SQ is so arrogant/confident : their revenue is almost S$10 billion a year with profits of more than S$1 billion.
                Look, even if they have 1000 PPS members each giving them a revenue of S$25000 thats a revenue of S$25 million only. So I can understand why they set a high threshold of S$25000.
                J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                  Although I like to fly SQ, it is not blind faith. After 17 years faithfully with the airline and spending more than 1 Million, it is not the way to treat you.

Best thing is to give SQ a boot by not flying with them as there are other airlines that already close to SQ's service and hardware. For example Jet Airways, CX and the Mid-East airlines are getting very good and you pay less. Vote with your pocket.

Anyway, most of the time SQ wasted their money on some not very successful investments overseas rather than enhancing the experiences. It is "very heng" that the present board is not buying into China Eastern Airlines.
                  But, I am sure there are most people with more years than I have and spent way more money than I have personally. I was from a breed of people that worked for establishments when SQ was a Govt owned company or stat board, and had to support our national airline. And we always supported them until this and now. I have never flown any other airline unless I really really had to in a destination that SQ didnt fly to. For example, when we made our trips, for instance to Paris from New York, we had to fly to AMS or Frankfurt and take a shuttle to Paris. We didnt go direct NY-CDG. And that was the way it was for people working in govt organizations. Our directive was to support our national airline. So much for that ! Since I left the service, this may have changed and perhaps they no longer need to support SQ.

Investments ? Even Govt organizations make "not so good" investments, after all they take risks, whether admittedly or not, "calculated" risks.

Comment

Originally posted by upright man View Post
                    I can understand why SQ is so arrogant/confident : their revenue is almost S$10 billion a year with profits of more than S$1 billion.
                    Look, even if they have 1000 PPS members each giving them a revenue of S$25000 thats a revenue of S$25 million only. So I can understand why they set a high threshold of S$25000.
                    It is not the high threshold, S$25k is not very hard to reach, but they set a time limit of 12 months and you cant carry over. This means, as customers we have to take care how we plan our trips. We want to just make S$25k and not a lot more. When I qualified I had over PPSV of 50k, and instead oif giving me 2 years, they gave me ONE YR and said no excesses are allowed. That means I make aother S$ 25k since I was reset to ZERO.

AND, means I'd be better off taking my business elsewhere when I reach the PPSV 25k. Then, they have just lost my business to other airlines if I am forced to do this.

AND, that means I have to watch how much PPSV I have. I will now have to defer trips till next year if need be. Sometimes, on business I dont have that luxury of deferrfing biz trips. This means I am again forced to have to use CX or other carrier

AND AND AND AND........there are lot more issues.

SQ doesnt care. They make money NOW.In this recession environment when pockets get tight and profits start to dip and soaring oil prices go ahead.............."make my day" when SQ day of reckoning comes !!

Comment

AND, means I'd be better off taking my business elsewhere when I reach the PPSV 25k.
                      Yes, I agree, however I don't think that you're pointing out anything new here. It's not new news, and it's not something the vast majority here hasn't already figured out, but thank you anyway for emphasising it several times over in this thread. I think we get your point.

Then, they have just lost my business to other airlines if I am forced to do this.
                      Forced? You sir, are forced to do nothing of the sort you describe above.

AND, that means I have to watch how much PPSV I have. I will now have to defer trips till next year if need be. Sometimes, on business I dont have that luxury of deferrfing biz trips.
                      I certainly don't defer biz trips for the sole purpose of "maximising PPSV" or "maximising benefit" to myself. Please, tell me what corporation you work for - so that I may avoid dealing with/buying equity (if possible). If solid fiduciary responsibility doesn't even extend as far as business travel, who knows what else lurks under the carpet.

This means I am again forced to have to use CX or other carrier
                      Again, surely CX does not have such a hold on you that you are still compelled to fly them despite your vehement protests against the fact. Or do they?

AND AND AND AND........there are lot more issues.
                      Indeed. I can see where they lie.

SQ doesnt care. They make money NOW.
                      Ever heard of net present value? or bird in the hand is worth two in the bush etc etc etc?

In this recession environment when pockets get tight and profits start to dip and soaring oil prices go ahead.............."make my day" when SQ day of reckoning comes !!
                      Don't take it personally. It's just business

Comment

....AND AND AND AND........there are lot more issues....
                        When are you going to turn 18?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                          When are you going to turn 18?
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

It is not the high threshold, S$25k is not very hard to reach, but they set a time limit of 12 months and you cant carry over. This means, as customers we have to take care how we plan our trips. We want to just make S$25k and not a lot more. When I qualified I had over PPSV of 50k, and instead oif giving me 2 years, they gave me ONE YR and said no excesses are allowed. That means I make aother S$ 25k since I was reset to ZERO.
                            Even though I'm no fan of the changes to PPS, I fail to see your point here. How is this any different than the old "qualify via sectors" system that we had previously?

If you accumulated 50 sectors in the 12-month qualification period before, it's not like SQ gave you two years of PPS eligibility...they gave you one year, and at the requal time your qualifying sector count reset to 0.

Yes, the currency has changed, and for most the bar has been set higher than it was previously, but I don't see any fundamental unfairness compared to the system before. Your extra PPS Value above $25K per year counts toward Solitaire status, just as your extra sectors above 25 counted for SPP in the past.

We have plenty of issues to complain about with SQ currently, but I have to tell you I don't think this is one of them.

Comment

17yr_member, understand you are frustrated over SQ. At least some of your tickets are paid by someone else. I paid for on my own account the tickets. Just close the chapter and don't have to give business to SQ anymore as what I said earlier. That is the best course of action as I don't think NO matter how hard we shouted but still flying with SQ will make any difference.

Again vote with the pocket and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X