Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captivating Cape Town with SQ (A new low in long-haul Y catering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for our journey back to Singapore after all the nice scenery, food, fresh air (definitely will miss the air since S'pore frequently gets polluted by haze these couple of months) and of course the fantastic weather! We shall see if the return flight would have improved catering over the depressing catering on the way in.

Again, we took the really convenient public bus service from the bus stop right across our apartment and it was only a short 25min ride to the airport.

Reached the airport 2hrs prior to departure.

Check-in was swift as there were barely any queues. Again, the passenger load would be quite light for this sector. With such low loads, I am really dreading the day when SQ might withdraw from CPT.

After sending our bags and performing tax refund for some purchases, we proceeded through security and immigration painlessly as there were no other international departures during the hour.

Airside now.

As we were rather early, the departure lounge airside was almost totally void of passengers. There were quite a number of shops airside but all were quiet. In fact, there was not a single aircraft parked at the international airbridges.

Condor B767, BA B772 and baby BA B737. The BA B737 is operated by Comair as a franchise of BA.

Our aircraft landed slightly late from SIN via JNB.

Kulula B738 taxiing to the runway.

Our SQ bird arriving at the gate.

9V-SVJ would be performing the long-haul back to Singapore.

BA/Comair B734 taxiing away.

Our boarding gate was just a long narrow corridor.

Another BA aircraft, an elegant B744, arrived from London. There were more "BA" aircraft in CPT than any of the other South Africa airlines.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Air Namibia A319, the only other international departure for the hour.

26 October 2014
      Singapore Airlines
      SQ 479
      Cape Town (CPT) - Johannesburg (JNB) - Singapore (SIN)
      B777-200ER
      9V-SVJ
      Economy Class

Boarded was called by row numbers and was orderly. Went down the transparent gangway to our aircraft.

Welcomed at the door and directed to our seats at the rear of the aircraft.

Reached my seat at 57A while my mum and sis had 56 A/C. Rear cabin remained rather empty and I ended up having the 3-seater for myself again on this sector!

Legroom again was good at this particular seat due to the curvature of the cabin. Did not check behind the headrest though (read previous sector's review) for unwelcomed surprises. Sometimes, it is best not to know....

At the gate.

Air France B772 arrived from Paris.

Domestic gates at the other end of the terminal.

The usual SQ service kicked in, with offering of hot towels, headsets and menu. So far, the crew operating this sector seemed rather pleasant, offering the typical SQ service.

Menu for the return sector.

Flight time of 1h38m to Johannesburg.

With the light load, boarding was completed rapidly, doors closed, safety video played and we pushed back for departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF7q...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Taxiing past the AF aircraft that just arrived.

My Travel Map

Comment

i agree that SIN-JNB serving a cold ref + breakfast pales in comparison to European flights to DME and IST where as you pointed out, a hot supper + breakfast is served. I guess SQ does not view JNB/CPT as 'premium' as its European routes. Moreover, the monopoly it has!

Then again, with a departure at 210am, I am not sure if most passengers would want to sit through a full supper service!; assume most would want to quickly catch a shut eye hence a cold ref service would be over quickly. However, it does seem that the cold ref offered could certainly be improved on!

Comment

Passing the Queen of the Skies, the B747! It has been a long time since I flew on one.

It was a cloudless and beautiful day, with Table Mountain clearly seen in the distance.

Video of taxi to the runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjE3...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

A short taxi later, we held at the threshold of Rwy19, waiting for 2 BA/Comair B737s to land.

On our way to Johannesburg! There was really beautiful scenery to be seen during our takeoff from Cape Town!

Watch the video of the takeoff and ascent, with breath-taking scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlc...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Over hills around the Stellenbosch wine region.

After takeoff announcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG0w...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

My Travel Map

Comment

Landscape gradually got dryer the further we flew away from Cape Town.

Continued with "22 Jump Street" which I did not completer on the previous sector. Luckily no "jumpy" images on the IFE this time round.

While the IFE screen on the seat beside was tuned to the flight map.

Refreshment service soon started and the Economy cabin was served right from the front in the forward economy cabin towards the rear aft cabin.

Lets see what would be served on this sector. Oh, an improvement! We would be getting a hot refreshment on this sector! Makes you wonder why SQ decides to serve something hot on the CPT-JNB sector but not on the JNB-CPT flight.

I had initially wanted to choose the beef noodles, but it ran out long before the meal cart reached our rows. Guess due to the many Taiwanese onboard the flight today seated upfront and naturally they would have gone for the noodles.
            At least the crew was apologetic about it and ensured we were fine with the quiche choice.

Handed a half-sized tray which looked rather bare with only a warm casserole and teacup. Well, I should be grateful that SQ even served a hot meal on this short sector. Had an apple juice and rooibos tea to go along (the apple juice catered out of South Africa was tasty, unlike the sweet syrupy kind from SIN) and I ordered a Singapore Sling as well.

Even though I did not get my first choice, I had no complaints as the spinach quiche and its accompaniments were rather delicious! The only complaint would be portion could be bigger or maybe include a fruit starter.

Finished the entire meal in no time. Haha, the tray seemed much fuller with 3 drink cups on it.

Singapore-slinging to Johannesburg.

Got more apple juice to sip on while watching my movie.

Last edited by ycp81; 8 November 2014, 09:47 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Patch of brown down there.

With the light passenger load, we still had more than half the flight to go after meal service was quickly completed.

However, skies turned cloudy as we were approaching Johannesburg. Crew also came round with another round of water/juices towards the end of the flight before descent. Not bad for a 1h40m flight!

Soon, started descending into JNB, with skies turning totally gloomy and cloudy. Not much landing preparations needed as we were allowed to hold onto our headsets for the next sector.

Descending into muggy Jo'burg, with the weather being a total contrast from Cape Town.

Final approach till landing on Rwy03R.

Video of our landing into JNB Rwy03R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Yw...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Taxiing to the terminal, passing an Air Mauritius A319.

Unique architecture of OR Tambo terminal building.

Parked at the gate. At JNB, no passengers were allowed to disembark while there was a change of crew and flight was serviced, prior to boarding of passengers originating from JNB.

This flight was of the usual quality that we associate SQ with. Service was good and catering, though still on the small side, was at least warm and delicious. Overall, sufficient for this short sector.

My Travel Map

Comment

Passengers stretching themselves while plane was being serviced and catering loaded. No checks on boarding passes though on this sector since no passenger is allowed to disembark in JNB.

Colourful planes against the dull terminal and skies.

2 SAA aircraft in special liveries!

Air Mauritius pushing back.

Soon, boarding for JNB-originating passengers started but it seemed that there were not too many passengers joining as well. I counted at most 20 additional passengers in the rear economy cabin, but not too sure about the forward cabin. Well, good news for me as I retained by 3-seater bed again! I guessed the passenger load to be at most 60% on this flight.

Again, the usual hot towels distributed and we pushed back. Flight time would be a quick 9.5hr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz7P...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

SAA A320

Passing a flySafair aircraft.

Old vs new! A classic Air Zimbabwe B737-200 meeting a new-generation Mango B737-800.

Taking off from Rwy03L.

See the video of the takeoff here. The takeoff felt much more powerful then the on previous sectors, probably due to the high altitude conditions of JNB. Also spot BA and LH A380s parked at the remote stands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZ6...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

My Travel Map

Comment

Ascending above the clouds and not-so-nice weather over Jo'burg.

Flight time to Singapore. On this sector, flight map was also shown in Mandarin, probably due to the number of Taiwanese onboard.

Just a sea of clouds below now.

The typical SQ long-haul service started, first with a beverage and nuts service. Again, passengers were served from the front of the economy cabin thus it was a bit of a wait till I get my beverages. I ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail Orange Cooler (orange juice and ginger ale mix) and a Coke Light.

Leaving the African soil into the Indian Ocean.

I decided that this flight would be spent watching movies since I would be grabbing sleep at home after I touched down. Again, no prizes for guessing this movie.

Shortly after bar service was completed, lunch was being prepared. Lets see what is offered for lunch.

Again, lunch service started from the of the economy cabin. I had initially wanted to have the beef casserole, but when the meal cart reached my row, they had ran out of the beef choice. Fortunately for my sis, she had gotten the last beef casserole (lucky her) and when the chief stewardess serving me asked from the crew manning the other aisle, the other aisle's meal cart had ran out of beef as well. Well, just my luck for not getting my choice of meal again.. However, at least the crew assured me that I would definitely have my choice for breakfast as they would be serving from the rear.

So this was the black pepper fish with rice. The main looked kinda sad and the huge tray again was filled with nothingness.

Roll with butter. Cost-cutting in action again. No more cheese and crackers on the tray (I had them on my CPT-SIN flight 3 years ago).

Chicken starter was simple but ok.

Now, for the main. It already looked bad, but tasted even worse! 1/4 of the casserole was the protein, with 3/4 filled with carbohydrates. The fish was dry, with an artificial-tasting non-peppery black pepper sauce, and the rice was totally tasteless and very mushy. Easily ranked as one of the worst meals I ever had on a plane, and I really had to force myself to at least finish the fish, leaving half the rice untouched. Very very poor...

My sis's beef casserole looked and tasted much better than my fish. And at least the proteins filled up almost half the casserole.

My Travel Map

Comment

Luckily the ice-cream saved the day.

Ending with a rooibos tea again.

Somewhere over Madagascar.

Next movie, a Chinese romantic comedy.

Stretching out on my bed. Again, quite a number of passengers had their own "beds".

Heading towards Mauritius.

As we were flying eastward, dusk came early.

I was already dark less than 4hrs into the flight, even before reaching Mauritius.

Feeling peckish after the unsatisfying lunch, I decided to check out what snacks were on offer.

Went to the rear galley, where a basket of snacks was laid out for self-service. Getting hungry, I grabbed an item of each (except the apples).

Later on during the flight, the crew also came down a couple of times with the snack baskets offering the inflight snacks, where I had another pack of chips. Water/juices were also offered hourly, though if really thirsty, this aircraft is also equipped with drinking fountains outside the toilets for your self-service.

Slightly more than 2hrs prior to arrival, lights were switched back on, hot towels offered again, and breakfast service started.

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast choices.

As promised (and I do know that), service started from the rear of the plane. I chose the oriental choice of beef noodles for breakfast, praying that JNB catering would get it right this time round, seeing how they messed up the fish with rice earlier on. A half-sized tray was delivered which made the tray look full, though frequent SQ-flyers wold be able to tell that this breakfast lacked items normally found on breakfasts served on long-haul flights, ie. muffin and yoghurt.

Fruits and bun. Mu mum commented that the fruits were not fresh. For me, they just tasted sourish and overripe.

My beef noodles choice. Surprisingly, it was really good and full of flavour! Portion was rather generous too. Miles better than the miserable lunch earlier on.

My sis's western breakfast choice, which tasted just like any airplane omelette breakfast.

After breakfast was cleared, we were not too far from Singapore.

Finishing up my last movie while enjoying yet another cup of the South Africa catered apple juice.

Approaching Singapore. With the strong tailwinds, we were more than half hour early! Cabin was prepared for landing and headsets were collected.

Approaching Changi in the early morning. We landed from the south.

Landing on Rwy02C, almost 40min early!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JWk...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

It was just a short taxi to our gate at Terminal 2 and soon we disembarked. Home Sweet Home, but I still missed Cape Town....

My seat for the past 13hrs.

The return sector was more in line with the normal SQ long-haul offerings (though there were still some evidences of cost-cutting in catering) and service was of usual SQ standards, good and efficient but not outstanding, but no complaints either. Only letdown was the main course for lunch which bordered towards inedible but luckily the breakfast choice was tasty. And of course, the very empty flights did added on to the comfort level (though might not be too beneficial for SQ).

Thanks for reading my very long trip report and rants of the flight up. Hope you enjoyed it and leave your comments. This should also be my last trip of the year till January, so till then, Happy Flying!!

My Travel Map

Comment

Just an update, I made a feedback to SQ regarding the very poor catering experience on SQ478 and SQ replied in due course, with an extract of the reply as below:

"Thank you for your patience as we looked into your in-flight meal concerns from flight SQ478/21 October 2014
                        from Singapore to Cape Town.

While we try to provide some rationale and explanation, we do appreciate
                        that you have taken the time to provide us valuable feedback for us to improve
                        in this aspect of our in-flight experience to our passengers, especially on
                        this route.

We would like to share that the type of meals served onboard our flights
                        are dependent on the flight timing. As flight SQ478 is a late night flight
                        departing Singapore at 0130 hours (local time), the meals are planned to
                        ensure that passengers have sufficient rest during the flight and enjoy breakfast
                        when they wake up before arriving in Johannesburg at 0615 hours (local time).

Hence, a light refreshment of a sandwich or tortilla is chosen to be served
                        to passengers after departure from Singapore before lights are dimmed in the
                        cabin for passengers to rest. Passengers who wish to have something to eat
                        thereafter, lights bites of sandwiches and snacks are available upon
                        request from our crew. Breakfast will then be served a few hours before arriving in
                        Johannesburg. For the 2 hour 15 minute flight segment between Johannesburg
                        and Cape Town departing at 0715 hours (local time) and arriving at 0930 hours
                        (local time), a light meal is served to passengers due to the short
                        duration of the flight.

While our In-Flight Services Department constantly reviews the type of
                        meals served for all our routes based on consumption trends and feedback from
                        passengers, we are sorry that the meals onboard this route has continually
                        disappointed you.

Our In-Flight Services Department and caterers have since been alerted to
                        review your suggestion to include heavier and warmer meals for this flight
                        sector as well as include more meal components for breakfast. We will also
                        remind our crew to offer passengers the option to heat up their sandwiches
                        and light refreshments should they prefer their refreshments served warm...... "

Additionally, SQ also provided a "token of apologies" as a form of service recovery. Well, that was kinda unexpected.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                        X