Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captivating Cape Town with SQ (A new low in long-haul Y catering)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captivating Cape Town with SQ (A new low in long-haul Y catering)

Recently, I did a 5 days sightseeing trip to Cape Town with my mum and sis over the Deepavali holidays + a few days of vacation leave. It is my second trip to Cape Town (I had loved the place on my previous trip 3+yrs ago) but my mum's and sis's first. And with the Rand having fallen rather significantly, it has became a very affordable destination to visit!

With SQ having a monopoly on flights from Singapore to South Africa, tickets on SQ there are definitely not cheap. Our tickets costs the same as SQ fares to Europe! Also, with the not-so-good catering I had on the SIN-CPT flight previously (and even feedbacked to SQ about it), I had mentally prepared myself for the flight, but did not expect that the catering standards in economy on the outbound flight had turned for the worse and really reached the pits! Not only comparing to SQ-standards, but any long-haul full-service carrier standards! I predict SQ's SIN-JNB-CPT route easily takes the "award" of the Worst Long-haul Economy Inflight Catering in the world! Now, please read on...

Performed online check-in prior to the flight and turned out that the flight would be half-empty. We snagged 6 seats for the 3 of us (I had a 3-seater bed!). Boarding passes printed at Terminal 2, which was very quiet in the evening, and bags were sent on the way.

Mainly LCC flight departing in the late evening, with only SQ flights to JED, CPT and DEL departing from T2 in the wee hours.

Plane-spotting is not too exciting, mainly with MIs and TRs retiring for the night, and the Scoots preparing for their midnight departures.

Our departure gate E12 right at the end of the pier. Security checks had just started shortly before, hence the queue. However, it moved fast.

Holding area before boarding.

Out the window, I could see that SVE would be operating the flight. I just flew on her less than a couple of months ago back from Istanbul!

21 October 2014
    Singapore Airlines
    SQ 478
    Singapore (SIN) - Johannesburg (JNB) - Cape Town (CPT)
    B777-200ER
    9V-SVE
    Economy Class

Boarding was announced on schedule and was orderly. Stepped onboard the retrofitted B772ER aircraft and proceeded towards the rear to my seat at 57H/J/K (all mine! Haha) while my mum and sis were seated at 56 H/J/K. This aircraft was retrofitted with a mega-galley right at the rear by removing 2 rows of 14 seats, while the mid-galley was removed to make room for the long-haul business class seats. An economy toilet was also removed for an additional 4 economy seats, thus making the capacity of the aircraft as 26/245, down from the previous 30/255. Seats were basically similar to the non-retrofitted aircraft, with the seat covers updated to the new colour scheme, IFE screens changed to bigger ones and IFE system slightly updated as well.

During boarding, crew were again on the aisles welcoming passengers, but they did not felt very warm. Unfortunately, that set the tone for the flight.

Large galley at the rear.

Boarding in progress.

Luckily, the retrofitted B772ERs retained its 34" pitch in economy, with 57A/K having 1-2" more due to the curvature of the cabin. Hence my choice of row 57!

It would be a long 10.5hrs flight to Johannesburg.

View out the window.

The seat pocket magazines.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

After passengers had settled down, hot towels were distributed.

Due to a couple of missing passengers who could not be contacted, their bags had to be offloaded, resulting in a slight delay. During the wait, crew distributed headsets to be used with the IFE, which was already switched on. No more of the ridiculous "headsets must not be used during takeoff/landing" rules now.

Menus were also given out.

A look at the extensive beverage list, which rivals some carriers' business class offerings. Now, this was where the oomph ends... I will show the rest of the menu during the meal services of the flight.

Finally, after a delay of nearly 20min, doors were closed and we taxied to the runway for departure.

Took off from Rwy02C, bound for Johannesburg and Cape Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Ht...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Flying along the coast of Singapore after taking off towards the north and making a turn back south-westerly.

After seatbelt signs were turned off, amenity kits consisting of socks and toothbrush were distributed.

IFE was not as extensive as on the newer aircraft, but still sufficient choices offered for the long-haul flight. I started with the Ape movie. However, the IFE system for the 3 seats in my row was cranky, with the films and sounds skipping every few seconds while watching, making it rather irritating. A reset of the system by the only friendly and warm crew in economy, an Indian stewardess, proved useless as the problem acted up again. So, grind my teeth and bear with it as I was not going to give up my 3-seater bed for a new seat, plus most passengers had already grabbed their "beds" as well.

There were 6 crew members serving in economy on this flight. With the economy section being barely half-filled, it should be a very easy flight for them but generally the service was nothing exceptional and most of the crew (with the exception of the Indian FSS) seemed to lack morale and gave the "just-get-the-job-done" feeling to me. There were even instances of unprofessionalism in service by a particular senior crew, which I would not highlight here, but it definitely left a very bitter taste.

A round of water and juices were offered on trays but unlike my CPT flight 3 years ago, no peanuts were offered. No worries as I heard that this is a new procedure for Supper flights to allow faster service.

Immediately after, refreshments were served. Take a look at what is offered.

My Travel Map

Comment

LOL. I know you still have a long way to finish.

But I can't help but getting amused right now by the extremely brief 4-liner menu.

Anyway, if I am not wrong, the refreshment meal (2nd meal) from MEL to SIN on the afternoon flight (SQ228) is also a 4-liner. Quiche or sandwich and coffee/tea.

Comment

I had expected that at least a hot wrap/sandwich similar to my previous CPT flight would be served to us. Thus, to my horror when I was presented with this!

The Tandoori chicken tortilla wrap was served very cold. Not only was it cold, portion was very small (I could not even taste any chicken pieces, just a mush in the wrap) and it tasted disgusting!! And to reiterate, I am normally not a picky eater and if I say it is bad, it is definitely very bad!

The other choice was the ham and cheese croissant (see the size of it compared to my hands and I have small hands) which my mum and sis had. Also, my mum complained that it was served too cold and was also tasteless. She had to struggle to finish it. I was even "impressed" that the crew can serve such food with a straight face....

Talking about consistency, this is definitely not consistent with SQ's other long-haul routes departing at a similar time. You will definitely not see such awful cold food served on Europe flights of similar length, such as IST or DME. There would always be a hot supper served after takeoff on these flights. With a more than 10hrs flight time, there is definitely ample time for 2 hot meal services and sufficient rest for passengers. Even mid-haul flights to Australia might have better catering! Very, very disappointed with SQ for giving such special treatment to us South Africa bound passengers. Even if SQ had wanted to serve a cold meal (I have nothing against cold meals), portions could be made bigger and could come with cold starters or desserts, such as the ones TK serve on their very short domestic hops (really impressed with TK's cold snackboxes) or even CX's snackbox on their red-eyes. What SQ served to us just spelled CHEAP!

After such an unsatisfying and unappetising snack, I could only console myself with a cup of rooibos tea, only available on South Africa bound flights. Cabin lights were also quickly turned off, all barely an hour after takeoff.

After I finished my first movie, we were somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean. There were bouts of quite heavy turbulence, but nothing too bad.

Lavatory, where all the amenities are still available.

I then rested for the night on my "bed", grabbing almost 4hrs of sleep.

When I woke up, it was still more than 3hrs to landing. Being not fed well earlier plus missing the snack service as I was asleep, my tummy had started rumbling and thus I went to the galley at the rear to request for some sandwiches. This was what supposedly to be available for snacks.

Ok, so I requested for a sandwich from one of the two stewardesses in the galley, and she just seemed disturbed by me and replied "Oh, we ran out of sandwiches. But we will be serving breakfast soon.." All these without checking or offering other snacks. Well, not being a difficult passenger, I chose to believe her and the "soon" eventually was more than 30min later... This further worsened my impression of the flight. Well, I hope that this is a case of insufficient catering and not of the crew not bothering to offer some snacks, but I highly doubt so...

And so I started on my second movie, a Korean comedy.

Cabin lights were turned on 2.5hrs before landing and hot towels were offered again. Breakfast was served. Lets see what is on the menu.

Breakfast service in progress.

Huge but sparse breakfast tray was delivered. Note that it lacked the usual yoghurt/cereal and muffin found on other long-haul flights? Yes, it is a South African flight thingy. Yeah, SQ might have though that passengers to South Africa are all on diet and do not need to eat much...

Usual fruit starter out of SIN.

My Travel Map

Comment

I had the pork noodles, and it actually looked better than it tasted. Can't explain, but it just tasted funny... Frankly, my catering expectations was already adjusted very low for the flight, and this did not even meet my already low expectations.

The frittata choice, according to my mum, was not much better.

With the low passenger load, meal service was completed swiftly and we still had almost 1.5hrs to go. Sun was rising now.

Reaching the soils of South Africa soon.

Making landfall

My "bed" for the flight.

On to my third movie (no prizes for guessing).

Dry African landscape.

We soon started our descent into Jo'burg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KqB...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Nearing Jo'burg.

Outskirts of Jo'burg.

My Travel Map

Comment

Approaching into Johannesburg from the south.

Watch the video of the approach here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82DV...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

And landing into O.R. Tambo International Rwy03R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOh6...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Exiting the runway.

Quite a long taxi to the gate.

Welcome to SAA land! SAA A340 parked at the remote stand.

Parked beside another SAA A340.

And that concludes the first sector of the flight to Cape Town, and frankly speaking, other than the very empty flight which enabled me to get comfortable on 3 seats, there was absolute nothing I can compliment on regarding the inflight service nor the catering on this flight. In fact, with the dismal catering and un-SQish service, I can easily rank this flight as one of the worst, if not the worst, long-haul flight I have flown in on any airline (even my Jetstar long-haul flight experience from SIN-AKL with similar flight time 2 years back was a way much better experience with good pre-purchased meals and great service). Heck, my mum was also still complaining about the food served onboard 1 week after the flight!

At Johannesburg, all JNB bound passengers disembarked, with Cape Town bound passengers like us having to stay onboard while the plane was serviced and the set was crew was changed. Agents also came onboard to verify our CPT bound boarding passes and ticked off a list of manifest.

Dnata catering for SQ here in JNB.

Our plane being serviced.

The left-over CPT bound pax stretching their legs during the stopover. It was a very empty flight up to CPT.

The new set of crew who joined us at JNB for their shuttle run to CPT was a stark contrast from the previous crew! They exhibited enthusiasm and warmth, sending very positive vibes to us passengers. Even just after taking over of duties during servicing of the plane, some of the stewardesses started proactively offering passengers water after a couple of passengers asked for some, and even interacted a bit with the pax on their trip so far. Yes, that is the SQ service that I have known of, and I knew that even if the catering was again bad, at least the service would make up for it.

Soon our neighbouring A340 was gone, and I spotted an ArikAir parked further beside.

My Travel Map

Comment

While on ground, the IFE system remained switched on (even though there was a couple of times of reset) so I can continue with my movie during the wait. With no passengers to board, doors were closed immediately after catering was loaded, plane was cleaned and passengers were verified. However, there was still a slight delay due to ATC clearance.

Safety video being played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_C...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Pushback from the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukye...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Started our taxi to the runway for the 1h50m flight to Cape Town. Passed BA's A380!

BA and SA.

More SA aircraft.

Fellow CX is here in JNB too! CX uses her brand new 773ER for the JNB route while SQ uses its oldest aircrafts.

Short video of the taxi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GT...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

The regional jet seemed tiny!

Finally after a bit of queue, we were on the runway, Rwy03L.

Takeoff from Rwy03L bound for Cape Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZ0...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

After takeoff announcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIF9...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

More than 1hr40m to go.

Over suburbs of Jo'burg.

And soon, it was just dry land below when we reached cruising altitude.

My Travel Map

Comment

Shortly after seatbelt signs were turned off, the meal service commenced. Meals were served right from the front of the economy cabin, thus it took a while for the carts to reach my row.

After such dismal food offerings on the previous long-haul, there was hardly any chance of it being better on this short hop to Cape Town. Well, below are what would be served for Refreshments. And by refreshments, it meant cold refreshments....

I chose the roast beef focaccia. Presentation was slightly better than on the previous sector, with some salad garnishing on the side.

However, taste wise, cold and forgettable. Just a small piece of tasteless protein sandwiched between 2 slices of thick, dry carbohydrates, with a few pieces of flavourless pickles.

The other choice of egg and chicken sandwich (I tried a bit), though presentation was not too appealing, tasted much better than it looked. However, portion was just too small. A number of passengers were requesting for additional egg sandwiches, either they hated the beef focaccia or they were really starving after the horrible catering from the previous sector.

As I said earlier, the crew on this sector performed much better and were all smiles and warmth. Even with poor catering, the good service would at least make the flight experience more positive.

After the refreshment service ended, I went back to my movies while also watching the South African landscape go pass. It was really clear and cloudless almost the entire flight to Cape Town!

Started my 4th movie for the flight, 22 Jump Street. Note the irritating "jumpy" screen.

Almost there, finally...

View of the rather empty forward cabin. The aft cabin had even less passengers!

I shifted back to the window seat and while I was making myself comfortable for the rest of the flight, I saw this behind the headrest on the seat where I was previously seated and head resting on. This is more horrifying than Halloween......

Well, after I recovered from the shock, I decided to calm myself with the beautiful scenery outside.

My Travel Map

Comment

More beautiful landscape as we started our descent soon after. Headsets collected and cabin prepared for landing. I shall continue with my movie on the return flight.

Video of descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMfq...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Surprisingly, due to wind conditions, we did not approach from the north, which is the more common approach, but instead flew south of the airport and made a U-turn back to land. Got a view of the majestic Table Mountain as we turned south.

Flew pass the airport and out to False Bay with its sparkling blue waters before making a turn back.

I also took a video of the beautiful approach into Cape Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-w...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

Landing into Rwy01 of Cape Town International Airport.

Taxied pass a unique airline, Safair.

Full video of landing and taxi to the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLS...rW0dYXoZc9I2ZA

My Travel Map

Comment

Parked at the gate.

Disembarking was swift as the load was very light on this sector. Crew were pleasantly bading goodbye.

Comfortable seats (except the eeky stuff behind the headrest).

The workhorse that flew us all the way to Cape Town.

This sector, though again with not so good catering, had a more pleasant ambience with much more proactive and warm service compared to the previous sector. However, overall SQ's famed consistency is sorely lacking on flights to South Africa with catering that is way worse that all other long-haul routes from Singapore. Is it due to no competition leading to complacency? Or lack of premium passengers thus sacrificing the economy offerings? Only SQ's management can answer that (and I hope they do provide a reasonable explanation as I had sent a feedback regarding the very poor catering).

With no other international flight arriving at this hour and our light load, there was totally no wait at immigration for visitors while residents had a longer queue.

Cape Town Airport, the most awarded airport in Africa.

We only had a short wait for our bags and customs was fuss-free.

Welcome to the Mother City!

We took a public bus to our accommodation and I was really impressed by the MyCiti public buses. Clean, safe, convenient and affordable ride for us to the doorsteps of our apartment hotel at Thibault Square. We also used the bus frequently for the 10min hop to the Waterfront from our hotel.

We stayed at Icon Luxury Apartments, where we booked a 2-room apartment, equipped with a living room, 2 bedrooms and kitchenette.

Passed by Adderley Flower Market during a stroll near the hotel before check-in.

South Africa's national flower, proteas, for sale.

My Travel Map

Comment

Lets visit the sights of Cape Town! For 2 of the days, we took the hop-on-hop-off tourist buses to visit the must-visits sights.

Kirstenbosch Gardens

Passing some vineyards of Constantia.

Along the way to Hout Bay

My Travel Map

Comment

Beautiful Hout Bay

Amazing views of the coastline!

Camps Bay

My Travel Map

Comment

I would die to be able to own a house here!!

Even more upscale residential along the Waterfront Canals.

Up the Table Mountain! We were lucky to go up early as the Cableway closed from the afternoon and subsequently 2 days due to strong winds.

My Travel Map

Comment

Rightfully earns its reputation as one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Long Street.

African curios at Greenmarket Square. You would really need to bargain hard here. Better stick to souvenir shops along the Waterfront.

Took a half-day trip to Cape Point as well.

Along Chapman Peak's Drive.

At Cape Point.

Passed Boulders Beach to view the African penguins as well!

My Travel Map

Comment

Nice view from Boulders Beach.

Of course not forgetting the V&A Waterfront.

Not forgetting the really affordable, fresh and delicious food we had!

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X