Lugging home a KitchenAid as checked baggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lugging home a KitchenAid as checked baggage

My wife has her eyes dead set on a KitchenAid cake mixer from the Williams-Sonoma store in San Francisco. It retails for only US$299 as opposed to the whopping S$800 it will cost in Singapore. We'll obviously need a transformer to use the product in Singapore, which is not a problem (I think). I am more concerned about the product getting damaged after checking it in. I intend to leave the product in the carton of course with the styrofoam and all, and I'll slap on some stickers screaming "Fragile" on the outside.

Anyone out there can advise on the wisdom (or stupidity ) of checking in an electrical item on a flight from SFO? It will probably weigh about 14 kilos at the most. We once checked in a carton of 24 huge dinner plates from Bangkok and every one of them was intact on arrival. Amazing.

I've carried many a box of Thai Celadon plates etc from CNX back home - as long as they're marked fragile should be okay. Never had a problem Go for it

Comment

I did the Kitchen Aid thing from JFK/FRA/SIN once...

Just make sure you have lots of packing material in it, and the ground staff in JFK made it a point to plaster the entire box with them "FRAGILE" stickers to make a point..

It worked.

Comment

I would agree with SQflyergirl, especially as Kitchen Aid mixers are well built. Would consider putting the manufacturer's box inside another box with packing material around it as added security however, but I'm typically risk averse!

On the issue of using US products in SIN, as you rightly point out the supply voltages are different, but you can buy transformers (such as this one in the UK for example) - I would have a couple of issues with this however that might be worth thinking about:

1. Having a smart looking Kitchen Aid mixer on your kitchen counter top is lovely, but when in combination with an ugly transformer this can be unsightly unless the transformer can be hidden away. It's up to your personal cost:benefit analysis as to whether the saving of buying the product in the US vs. SIN is worth the possible "hassle" of this combination.

2. Check the power consumption of the mixer and check if you can buy a reasonably priced transformer; for example, the two models on the link above go up to a maximum of 300 Watts, but depending upon the Kitchen Aid model, the motor power may exceed this.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the only component that needs to be replaced for the unit to work seamlessly in SIN would be the motor, which you may be able to source and fit from a parts supplier in SIN or the UK; you might not feel comfortable to do this however (I can oblige, but it would cost you my return airfare to SIN, so might just negate any cost saving )

EDIT I think what I would probably do in this situation is sneakily order a Kitchen Aid mixer from a supplier in SIN whilst you're still away, to be delivered to your home address either for your return or in time for Christmas, then make up excuses with your wife and "disappoint" her in the US by saying it's not practical to cart one home to SIN. The plus points you will earn when your wife sees the shiny SIN voltage model there waiting for her as a gift will probably massively outweigh any financial savings made by purchasing the unit in SIN, and the good Karma should last you well into the New Year
        Last edited by nickbot; 27 November 2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

i have brought several items from Los Angeles to Taipei, including that very same Kitchen Aid mixer... first off, those things are incredibly well built, and they are packaged very well. I have never had a problem with anything just by getting a fragile sticker tacked on.

Comment

Hrrrrrm. I want a Kitchen-Aid mixer too, though I never thought of lugging one from the US. Unfortunately they're going for the same price or more here, so I don't gain from buying one here and having it shipped home with my belongings at the end of my assignment.

Now I'm going to seriously consider buying one from the US next time I'm there.

Comment

you can usually pick one up for under $250 at macys. if you buy it at the store, make sure to carry your foreign passport and you will get a savings pass for an extra 11% off.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                you can usually pick one up for under $250 at macys. if you buy it at the store, make sure to carry your foreign passport and you will get a savings pass for an extra 11% off.
                Thanks for the tip, taipeiflyer! IIRC the usual corporate hotel has a Macy's in the mall across the street. Now to wait for a business trip to HQ, and maybe I'll stop drooling all over the monitor when I cruise food-related websites.

Now the tough question, what colour mixer should I get..... it'll have to fit in my future-as-yet-to-unknown apartment...

Comment

RED of course

I have the classic white and a red one (one bowl for grease-related batters, and the other strictly for meringues)

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                    I did the Kitchen Aid thing from JFK/FRA/SIN once...

Just make sure you have lots of packing material in it, and the ground staff in JFK made it a point to plaster the entire box with them "FRAGILE" stickers to make a point..

It worked.
                    Many thanks leo and everyone who responded. Now that lugging it back to SIN is not a problem, my next query. What kind of transformer are you using to work the KitchenAid here in SIN? Is it really as ugly as nickbot makes it out to be on this link http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358

That's one mighty UGLY looking transformer!

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post

On the issue of using US products in SIN, as you rightly point out the supply voltages are different, but you can buy transformers (such as this one in the UK for example) - I would have a couple of issues with this however that might be worth thinking about:

1. Having a smart looking Kitchen Aid mixer on your kitchen counter top is lovely, but when in combination with an ugly transformer this can be unsightly unless the transformer can be hidden away. It's up to your personal cost:benefit analysis as to whether the saving of buying the product in the US vs. SIN is worth the possible "hassle" of this combination.
                      Whoa, that is one mother of a transformer nickbot! Anyone out there who knows what sort of transformer I'll need to work a US electric product in Singapore?

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
                        Whoa, that is one mother of a transformer nickbot! Anyone out there who knows what sort of transformer I'll need to work a US electric product in Singapore?
                        holy cow, i've seen lunchpales smaller than that converter!

Comment

PS: i have the copper one... and would highly recommend that color...i think it looks great...and it doesn't tarnish!

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
                            Oh shucks totally forgot about that part as the electrical circuit at home is dual voltage in the kitchen (got it custom fitted as I use to have lots of US electrical items).

I use the Pro 600 ones, rated at 575 watts. Unless you have space to hide the hideous transformer, there appears to be no way out on the issue. Better off buying it local than to blow your house's electrical circuit, it might be cheaper - after adding the cost of the transformer to the US unit.

Instead of a KitchenAid, you could also look up Kenwood mixers which are equally robust (I started off with that, and must admit that the KitchenAid were merely chosen because of aesthetics and noise level). If your wife doesn't use it frequently the Kenwoods (especially the Chef model with stainless steel bowl - buy an extra bowl) make a good alternative. They are a good 25% - 30% cheaper.
                            Last edited by leo; 28 November 2008, 06:00 PM. Reason: fact correction

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
                              RED of course

I have the classic white and a red one (one bowl for grease-related batters, and the other strictly for meringues)
                              Two! That solves any problems with picking a colour eh? I was thinking of the red one too, but both buttercup and ice blue on the website look real nice too.

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                              PS: i have the copper one... and would highly recommend that color...i think it looks great...and it doesn't tarnish!
                              I just googled the copper version - NICE!

Comment

Working...
                              X