WEF June 15 - AA to charge $15 for first checked bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEF June 15 - AA to charge $15 for first checked bag

$15 for first bag, $25 for second. Applies to domestic flights in Y.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent

Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place.
    Exceptions:

# Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
    # Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
    # Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
    # Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection®
    # Customers traveling on government or military fares
    # Military passengers on active duty
    # AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members
    # oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
    # Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    # AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
    # First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in
    # AAirpass travel
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I read an interesting article on the most important italian newspaper about this and i learnt this is a sort of extreme measure to increase profit (or - alternatively reduce costs).... my question is: what does AA do if others major should not join/match this policy? IMHO is very risky since immediate benefits could be completely marginalized by customers' decrease if they should remain the only major to charge money.
    BTW, Savage25, perhaps did u achieve an elite status with AA recently!?!??!
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I do know that this is NOT going over very well in the USA press. AA is really pushing it. A lot has to do with their "new" C Class they JUST rolled out (didn't that take, like, 4 years??? and it's STILL not complete). Because of this they think they are the top US carrier now. I'm not saying they're not, but slanted seats have never impressed me. The old barcaloungers were way more comfortable -- and wider.

As I've written to all the US Carrier CEO's: hire me for $100k/year + achievement bonuses. I know I can do a much better job to save the US Airline Industry!
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
        I read an interesting article on the most important italian newspaper about this and i learnt this is a sort of extreme measure to increase profit (or - alternatively reduce costs).... my question is: what does AA do if others major should not join/match this policy? IMHO is very risky since immediate benefits could be completely marginalized by customers' decrease if they should remain the only major to charge money.
        Given how much other US airlines are bleeding money right now it is only a matter of time before other airlines either match or add some other new fee IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
          Ummm....got Plat last year

Comment

Working...
          X