SQT London Do 23rd July 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
    As if that's going to stop CGK from trying to convince you that you should attend...

Yeah, Lobster, you are the boss. Let the staff covers for you on Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post

That's just the beginning!

Comment

How about you sweetie? A nice evening in London would be fun with ya

Comment

Now I realized that I am not the official arm-twister around here.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post

Yes my staff could quite happily carry on without me for another day (and probably forever). Unfortunately there are somethings only I can do as only I have a power of attorney from my company to represent it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              Unfortunately there are somethings only I can do as only I have a power of attorney from my company to represent it.
              That's not an excuse! If your POA has a power of substitution, just appoint one of your trusty assistants. In any event, suirely it's not the end of the world if there's nobody around to sign the milk and newspapers bill on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                That restaurant is about a minute's walk from work.
                ... but we're not really going there ... are we ? I fear that we'd never hear the end of it if SQfg finds herself with a £5 roti which is inferior to one back home costing only a few ringgit!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  costing only a few ringgit!
                  A few ringgit? try 70 cents

Comment

My chance of showing up is getting slimmer!
                    I have been dealing with one of my tix that giving me so much grief. Looks like I can't even change the date...
                    But anyhow, enjoy the gathering.

Note: May be jhm will do an honor to pick up my special reading materials.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      ... but we're not really going there ... are we ? I fear that we'd never hear the end of it if SQfg finds herself with a £5 roti which is inferior to one back home costing only a few ringgit!
                      Any suggestions for the venue? I think you know the London restaurant scene the best among those who will or might attend.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Any suggestions for the venue? I think you know the London restaurant scene the best among those who will or might attend.
                        C'mon surely there's gotta be SOMETHING we can eat o'er there

Comment

I can think of the following places which some of us have gone to in the past for gatherings:

* Bam Bou (Asian eclectic)
                          * Hakkasan (Chinese - modern/fusion)
                          * Josephine's (Filipino)
                          * Shanghai Blues (Chinese)
                          * Some place in Brick Lane (Bangladeshi/British curry)
                          * The Ivy (British)

Suggestions I can think of at the moment (broadly in order of cost):

Patogh (near Edgware Road) - a tiny place serving Persian food. From Time Out:

The all-over rag-rolled shade of nicotine brown is somewhat overwhelming in what is a little space, but while Patogh is not going to win any prizes in the style stakes, it's an effortless winner when it comes to the food. This is in authentic Persian kebab restaurant vein: a few yoghurty starters plus sabzi - enormous discs of warm, house-baked flatbread - and great platters of meat served with Iranian-style rice. We have to confess that when we come here we usually stick to our favourite: a boneless chicken kebab, grilled without charring and tender. Saffron-hinted rice was light and fluffy, and - as per Iranian tradition - served with a knob of butter in the middle. Add some lemony red sumac spice (on hand on the table), and you have all the ingredients necessary for a classic Persian eating experience.
                          Masala Zone (various branches, e.g. Soho) - Indian street food

Yauatcha (Soho) - sister restaurant to Hakkasan; all day dimsum downstairs; cakes (French with Asian influences) and a very wide range of Chinese teas upstairs

Gaucho Grill (various branches, e.g. Piccadilly Circus) - steaks from Argentina

Maze (Bond Street) - part of the Gordon Ramsay empire; French food but grazing portions, i.e. choose 5-8 dishes (each costing from £5 to £10) from the selection of starters, mains and dessert items

I've eaten at the above but what I haven't eaten at and may be good is somewhere doing Spanish tapas, e.g. Salt Yard (Goodge Street); from Square Meal:

This stylishly relaxed, modern tapas restaurant, which offers dishes inspired by Italy as well as Spain, has proved a hit since opening in 2005 – & deservedly so. Tapas classics are given a fresh spin: sautéed chicken livers come with pickled figs, radicchio & a Pedro Ximinez sherry sauce. Ingredients are top-notch – the confit pork belly is made from Gloucester Old Spot pig – & the kitchen’s commitment to creativity extends to offering a tortilla of the day. Don’t leave without trying Salt Yard’s signature dish, the explosively rich courgette flowers stuffed with Monte Enebro cheese & drizzled with honey. Portions are small, but with most of the dishes priced at around £5, much of the menu can be sampled. If you don’t fancy a full meal, sit at the bar for a glass of sherry & plate of charcuterie.
                          Any opinions on the above (or indeed, anything which people want to eat) ?
                          Last edited by jhm; 22 June 2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

They all sound good! Yummy. Only ever been to Hakkasan and the Ivy (not very experienced in london culinary delights) though. I trust your recommendations!

Comment

Yeah...it's all looks great...tempted most with the gordon ramsay's one though....

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
                                Yeah...it's all looks great...tempted most with the gordon ramsay's one though....
                                Here's the menu:

http://www.gordonramsay.com/maze/menus/tastingmenu/

Comment

Working...
                                X