SIN DutyFree shops... no to Scottish Pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN DutyFree shops... no to Scottish Pounds

I went to get some cigs for a friend of mine and asked if they take Pounds. They said yes until they saw that it was Scottish Pounds. Then they said, no, we only take English Pounds. Er, I said to them that its common currency, and common rated throughout the United Kingdom, but they said that 'banks dont' accept it'.

So I went to the money changer in T3 and they said, of course we accept Scottish Pounds.

So be warned... about spending Scottish Pounds in Singapore Duty Free shops!

Note that in Singapore, Scottish Pounds command a lower exchange rate as compared to English Pounds for some silly reason. But than again, try using Scottish Pounds in some parts of England...
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

It is very hard to get rid off Scottish notes (Scottish pound coins are ok.) down in the south east of England. Most banks round my way will only take them if you have an account with them and most shops will not take them at all.

Comment

In northern england it can be hard to get rid of scottish notes. Its really annoying because they are legal tender.

Comment

You should have seen the looks at one shop (in Inverness) when I pulled out a 100 Pound note.

The English Pound notes only go up to 50 but only in Scotland, and issued by all the banks, there is a 100 Pound note.

Glad I didn't give them over at the Singapore money changer!

Comment

If you really need to head to SIN, get the notes changed over to English Pounds in the UK first.
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
              If you really need to head to SIN, get the notes changed over to English Pounds in the UK first.

It's like getting Brunei $ changed to Singapore $ before going overseas!

It isn't logical if one doesn't pass through UK. Besides, its legal tender throughout the UK.

I bet the Scots won't like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                It isn't logical if one doesn't pass through UK. Besides, its legal tender throughout the UK.

I bet the Scots won't like that.
                It may well be legal tender in the UK, but you just can`t send it here in the UK. Just like itchy and scratchy money in the Simpsons.

Woman: Would you like to buy some Itchy and Scratchy Money?
                Homer: What's that?
                Woman: Well it's money that's made just for the park. It works just
                like regular money, but it's, er..."fun".
                Bart: Do it, Dad.
                Homer: Well, OK, if it's fun...let's see, uh...I'll take $1100 worth.
                [he walks in, sees all the signs: "No I&S Money", "We Don't Take
                Itchy and Scratchy Money", etc.]

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post

Legally speaking it is not legal tender. It is a promisary note backed up by the local bank that issues it and as such in Scotland and a lot of the UK is an accepted means of exchange. However there is no law in the UK (not even in Scotland) that it must be accepted to clear a debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                    Legally speaking it is not legal tender. It is a promisary note backed up by the local bank that issues it and as such in Scotland and a lot of the UK is an accepted means of exchange. However there is no law in the UK (not even in Scotland) that it must be accepted to clear a debt.
                    So basically, Pounds are worthless?

Comment

deleted
                      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                        I'm not sure about the scottish pounds value compared to the UK pound but i'm of the opinion that the brunei dollar is valued the same as the sgd.

As for acceptance of currency, UOB airside FX counters did reject my USD before, citing they were not crisp enough.I found it a bit ridiculous.

And apart from liquor and ciggies, those airside shops at changi aren't necessary meant for the typical travellers. ie, they are very expensive.
                        The value is the same. They are a pound sterlin so its worth the same. Pound sterlin has the same value in the all countries that use it including the falklands and the isle of man.

Comment

OT- Is the old English 20 pound note still acceptable?

I tried changing it at a forex counter in Asia 2 years ago and was told they accepted the new ones only. Is that right?

I am extremely embarrassed to say that I don't even know the difference between the old and new notes.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            OT- Is the old English 20 pound note still acceptable?

I tried changing it at a forex counter in Asia 2 years ago and was told they accepted the new ones only. Is that right?

I am extremely embarrassed to say that I don't even know the difference between the old and new notes.
                            post deleted
                            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:30 AM.

Comment

I assume you are referring to the Elgar notes. They were "withdrawn" from circulation in the UK about a fortnight ago (30 June).
                              No

They are talking about bank note from scotland. The old £20 note is from england

Comment

Working...
                              X