Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Asia to help build new airport in KL ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Asia to help build new airport in KL ?!

I can't believe this, is it April 1st ?. What was the point of putting KLIA half way to Singapore in the middle of nowhere, if they then have to build a seperate airport for LCC pax ?. Or is Labu next to KUL ?.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has approved plans by budget carrier Air Asia and conglomerate Sime Darby to build a new low cost terminal within reach of the capital, according to media reports.

The new terminal, to be called "KLIA East @ Labu", will be built on a 2,800 hectare site (6,919 acres) in the central state of Negri Sembilan under a private finance initiative, costing 1.6 billion ringgit (US$461 million), the New Straits Times said.

It will also anchor Sime Darby's developments in nearby Labu, which include five new townships that will offer education, health, sports, high technology, recreation and entertainment services, the paper reported.

Transport Minister Ong Tee Keat was quoted in the Star daily on Sunday as saying that plans to expand an existing low-cost terminal were insufficient to handle the projected 30 million passengers by 2014.

Ong said he could not give a timeline on when work would start on the project but industry sources told the paper a groundbreaking ceremony was being planned for late January with construction expected to be completed in two years.

"We want to ensure passengers will be able to move from both places speedily, smoothly and efficiently," he added.

The paper said the new terminal would be slightly closer to downtown Kuala Lumpur than the present low-cost terminal and will boast more road and rail links.

An AirAsia official told the Star that the carrier's fares could drop by as much as 15 per cent when the new terminal opens.

AirAsia has been lobbying the government to build a bigger low-cost carrier terminal to meet increasing passenger capacity which is expected to rise despite the present global economic downturn.

Labu is on the other side of the Sepang race track from the KLIA main terminal building, with the track being about equi-distant from the village of Labu itself, about 3.5kms away.

This means Labu is about 7-7.5kms from the terminal building of KLIA.

Labu is far enough away they can't share a runway, and close enough to make the whole idea crazy, though it could have an easier connection to the N-S Highway that goes straight to the South of KL instead of heading via PJ and Damansara but its a lot of work to save maybe 20-min by car to KL, especially considering its a LC Terminal where passengers expect a little inconvenience.

Comment

it's a crap idea of which some top notch politician stand to gain a couple of hundreds of u know what if it really materialises...

another good example of utter stupidity..

Comment

I really dont think it is a bad idea at all, after all they are going to have over 100 airbus aircraft and the present LCCT can't handle that many! Besides, that terminal is jam packed with people, lousy services.... I really think that new airport is necessary.

Comment

I'm for this proposal. I think it makes total sense for Air Asia to build another airport in KL. Since the government can't afford to build it, why reject Air Asia's proposal when it will benefit both the country and the people?
          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

if Air Asia is going to build their own - they should ask Sime for land closer to subang n nearer than KLIA instead of just abt 8km further from KLIA. Then they would be able to have the convenience of being nearer to the suburbs of PJ, Sunway, and city.

Comment

Originally posted by leo View Post
              it's a crap idea of which some top notch politician stand to gain a couple of hundreds of u know what if it really materialises...

another good example of utter stupidity..
              Ah.......... someone who sees it for what it really is

Comment

The LCCT is a joke - the stories I have read scare me away. Sounds even worse than NAIA T1 both going in and out and worse than US airports with a bad reputation.

So, I don't fly Tiger or Air Asia to KL. I do Jetstar instead. Less friendly timing, but SIN T1 and KLIA Main Contact Pier is much better than having to endure the LCCT! So, I pay a bit more for the train to KL Sentral but at the end of the day, it does not cost much more, I save time, and it is a heck of a lot more pleasant. And still a lot cheaper than SQ/MI/MH/JL.

I like to save $$ but if the diff is small, I opt for comfort and convenience. Money is not everything.

The silly thing about Labu is that KLIA sits on a 100 km2 plot of land, and there is plenty of room now to build a second satellite. And there is even more room North east of the control tower to guild a second terminal buildling and 2 more satellites (mirror image of the present terminal), and space on the east and west to build 2 more runways. So, if LCC is the way to go, the answer is to build the LCCT on the other side.... at least you save the cost of a whole new greenfield airport with its own runway, control tower etc etc etc.

Another typical example of "Malaysia Boleh mess things up big time"

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  if Air Asia is going to build their own - they should ask Sime for land closer to subang n nearer than KLIA instead of just abt 8km further from KLIA. Then they would be able to have the convenience of being nearer to the suburbs of PJ, Sunway, and city.

You mean like the existing airport in Subang?

AirAsia have been pressing the government for years to get access to the old International Airport there. Roads have been upgraded over the last few years and access is not as bad now as it used to be though some more work would be required, but other than that it's an airport ready to go.

Some flights of other airlines and private jets still fly from there. I think MAS still has an engineering facility there, as well as GE i think.

Comment

It would be great if the govt allow air asia to run subang but it will never happen - and was suggesting that sir asia built their new airport somewhere between subang jaya and the KLIA where Sime have still alot of land there - and then the distance would be less rather than further from its present LCCT.
                    Understandably whatever it is as in building an airport or a large devt, there's always the "money thing" but thats just a malaysian way of doing things there.
                    Yes, subang currently serves the air force and civillian traffic and some scheduled flights by Berjaya air and MASWings; and MAS still have its heavy engineering hanger there.

Comment

Reopening Subang is the most sensible thing to do. It is near town, more convenient, is large enough with lots of capacity, and only 30 minutes drive from KLIA. But sense often does not prevail up north.... they are trying to protect KLIA but now if Labu is happening .....

I still say let them build a new LCCT at KLIA north of the present terminal building and use if for the next 20 years. Until then, the present terminal and future 2nd satellite is more than capable of handling MAS and the other internationals.

Comment

There's a report in the Straitstimes that it may be all off anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                          There's a report in the ST that it may be all off anyway.
                          Yup read that - does not do any good to the reputation of the govt up north - still messing around and losing voters if they keep seesawing like this

Comment

basically up north it doesnt matter if they say something then retract then re-do again as its all money politics and money talks and percentages.

Comment

The Labu plan's off as reported in today's ST. KLIA management and AirAsia to work together to expand the LCCT and decide landing fees. Something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X