A380 to India from June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Where does this information come from? Is it over a long period or just a few days?

Quite often when traffic to/from Australia is in a quiet patch, they replace an A380 with a 77W for a few days, maybe for a bit of scheduled maintenance work. It usually occurs in the middle fo the week when loads are lightest.
    Long period it's a "permanent" swap it seems

I have a booking that is now a 77W instead of an A380

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
      Long period it's a "permanent" swap it seems

I have a booking that is now a 77W instead of an A380

I have mixed feelings. I'd much rather be in a 77W than an A380 but I'm just hoping this time we do actually get the 77W on SQ228 and not an old 773 like last time we lost the A380.

My greater concern is capacity. When exactly are they running half-empty flights to MEL? I've never had the luck to be in one.

The big problem for MEL having an A380 is the timing required to maximise its potential. SQ227/8 is the best way to deliver the most seats when needed but it causes a 10 hour layover away from SQ's maintenance facilities. That comes at a big cost.

I'm still concerned though that rather than keep the 77W at Tullamarine for 10 hours, they may return it on SQ238 and then SQ228 will get the old 773 refit with Krisworld Lite and single-hinge tray tables.

Comment

Hope they replace the A380 with the 77WN.

Are there anymore 77WN deliveries scheduled between now and then?

Comment

Possibly a huge drop in consumer confidence in MEL - SQ might loose out with EY brining the A380 to MEL at the end of 2014.

I just don't get it, normally around that time of year the A380's are packed to the brim - I guess we might see further changes.

Comment

Originally posted by MLflyer View Post
            Possibly a huge drop in consumer confidence in MEL - SQ might loose out with EY brining the A380 to MEL at the end of 2014.

I just don't get it, normally around that time of year the A380's are packed to the brim - I guess we might see further changes.
            It is a bit hard to fathom as MEL pretty faithfully delivers "bums on seats". I've been up the back of a lot of half-empty Euro flights, but never once on a MEL leg, and I've flown a lot of those!

I suppose if we compare it to the year not long ago when MEL was home to all the old 744s on the verge of being scrapped, we had 1x 744 + 2x 773/W. In this situation we will see 1x A333 + 3x 773/W which I suppose is a net increase.

It completely defeats the whole aim of the A380 though, which was to carry the same number of passengers with less take-offs.

Comment

Appears SYD loses one A380 service too from May 30

http://www.theage.com.au/business/si...422-372b8.html

Comment

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...n=home-flipper

SYD and MEL are losing A380 flights. I'm usually in economy so this is a shame - I really loved the smaller economy cabin on the upper deck. Just hope we get some 777s with newer economy - the older economy in some of the 777s (like the ones they use for SQ211) really are showing their age.

RL

Comment

So Qantas is back to being the only A380 carrier on the Melbourne-London kangaroo route.
                  My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    So Qantas is back to being the only A380 carrier on the Melbourne-London kangaroo route.
                    Errr, and Emirates? One stop from MEL to about a dozen cities in Europe on the A380 all the way through every day of the week?

Comment

My only concern is for availability and pricing, but I did a check on peak season around New Year and there doesn't seem to be an increase (yet!)

Given the 77W is still my favourite SQ plane and MUC is my favourite Euro airport to fly to, I could hardly complain now that it will become 77W all the way in both directions from MEL. If I were an F flyer I would be pretty angry at losing Suites, but as a Y flyer, I doubt I will miss the main-deck A380 experience...

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                        Errr, and Emirates? One stop from MEL to about a dozen cities in Europe on the A380 all the way through every day of the week?
                        ah yes forgot EK, well QF and EK are partnered up now anyway, so no other alliance offers it
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                          http://airlineroute.net/2014/04/07/sq-delbom-may14/

Code:
                          Singapore – Delhi
                          SQ402 SIN0235 – 0535DEL 772 D
                          SQ406 SIN1725 – 2005DEL 388 D

SQ401 DEL0925 – 1740SIN 772 D
                          SQ403 DEL2205 – 0610+1SIN 388 D

Singapore – Mumbai
                          SQ422 SIN0730 – 1020BOM 772 D
                          SQ424 SIN1915 – 2155BOM 388 D

SQ423 BOM0025 – 0820SIN 388 D
                          SQ421 BOM1145 – 1945SIN 772 D

SQ423 operates with A380 from 31MAY14
                          SQ422/421 schedule listed above is effective 11JUN14
                          772 switches to A330 for DEL from July onwards

http://airlineroute.net/2014/04/25/sq-del-jul14/

Comment

Looks like they might switch to all upper deck business (SKL-SKT) series to Mumbai http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/36732691.cms

Comment

I've flown twice SIN-BOM-SIN since the 380 is there... I don't know about Suites but the J and Y were packed...

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                                I've flown twice SIN-BOM-SIN since the 380 is there... I don't know about Suites but the J and Y were packed...
                                How was the boarding process ex-BOM? I hear it's been pretty rough.
                                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Working...
                                X