Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN hotel recommendations

Hi,
    I've got a layover in Singapore for about 12h(inbound arrives at 00:05 and outbound is at 14:00). Wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on where to stay? Not looking for an expensive hotel, preferably something at about $160CAD or less, but at the same time not something like Fragrance hotel or similar. Also, my inbound flight is with ANA and the outbound is with SQ on a separate ticket, I should still be able to check my luggage all the way through right?

Looking at:
    Park Avenue Changi
    Days Hotel at Zhongshan Park
    Village Hotel Changi
    Village Hotel Katong

Comments in the surrounding locations would be appreciated too! Thanks

Originally posted by cyralax View Post
    Looking at:
    Park Avenue Changi
    Days Hotel at Zhongshan Park
    Village Hotel Changi
    Village Hotel Katong
    Have never stepped into any of these.

Park Avenue Changi - located in a business park, 5-10mins drive from airport. Sterile location.
    Days Hotel at Zhongshan Park - Balestier Rd, furthest from airport. Old local food area. Hotel is relatively new.
    Village Hotel Changi - outback Singapore, village feel, interesting nightlife around the corner
    Village Hotel Katong - another old local food area.

Comment

Check out the Santa Grand chain...

Comment

I notice you have picked hotels in Changi or the East / Katong. It really doesn't take long to get to the city centre (City Hall / Esplanade or Orchard Road). The travel time from Changi airport to the city is only 20-25 minutes, so you can actually choose hotels in the city as well.

Katong has its charms (especially good hawker food) but given that you have a whole morning to explore Singapore, I would recommend staying in the city, possible around North Bridge Road / Beach Road or near Clarke Quay.

There is no reason for you to stay in Changi if you don't have a specific reason to, as it is not actually much nearer to the airport than places in the city.

Village Hotel in Katong is in a nice part of the country, and you do get a taste of "real" Singapore there plus good food. If you have been to Singapore many times and want something different, Village Hotel Katong is a nice choice. On the other hand, if this is your first time in Singapore or have not been back for a while, a city/central hotel would be a better choice.

Comment

Carbonman: Thanks for the overview of the neighbourhoods, I'll keep that in mind.

Kyo: Haven't heard of that hotel chain before, but their Bugis location looks interesting....

yflyer: Chose close to airport since my day starts in YYC, just remembered from past times that I've done the Canada-Singapore run that I was absolutely exhausted by the time I cleared immigration. Basically I was thinking that I'm not going to get out of the airport until 1AM local, and have to be back to the airport by 12PM so I probably won't have that much time to walk around anyways. Also, I've got a full day on the return leg in Singapore so I'm going to book on Orchard Rd(thinking Grand Park Orchard). Didn't mention it earlier but I was also thinking about Peninsula Excelsior in Clarke Quay.

Comment

Basically I was thinking that I'm not going to get out of the airport until 1AM local, and have to be back to the airport by 12PM so I probably won't have that much time to walk around anyways.
            In that case, I would think the airport transit hotel would be better for you

Comment

Days hotel might be a good choice as well.
              Plenty of great local food surrounding, such as famous bat kut teh or chicken rice stalls.
              You may roam around for breakfast before pick up your luggage from hotel and heading to airport.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                In that case, I would think the airport transit hotel would be better for you
                Ditto. Just add the free city tour for good measure.

Comment

One option in this case might be the transit hotel, especially if you'll have lounge access in the evening and the next day. You could get a good rest and have a lot of fun exploring the airside parts of the airport.

If you go into town, I'd try to stay vaguely in the Beach Road area for ease of access to/from the airport, including possibly using the MRT to return to the airport. Maybe a cheap rate at the Fairmont or Swishotel in Raffles Center? There's a hotel next to Raffles, on the downtown side and thus almost across the street from the historic convent turned into a food, shopping and entertainment complex next to the cathedral. It's called something like the Regent. In the other direction, look for the cheaper big hotels near Fashion Walk, near the Concord (but it's more expensive than desired).

Comment

Thought I would post an update. Thanks all for their input. Ended up at the Peninsula Excelsior in Clarke Quay. Hopefully I don't end up in a old room, they seem to be in the middle of a renovation according to Tripadvisor reviews. For those that suggested transit hotel, I looked at it but had bad memories from the KLIA transit hotel(completely different, I know) so I didn't really want to go down that route. I've got a full day on the return leg in Singapore, looking at the Grand Park Orchard that seems to have good reviews along with a family recommendation.

Also, does anyone have any insight with my baggage related question? I'm hoping that I can check my bags straight through to my final destination? First ticket that I will be travelling on was sold through AC, NRT-SIN leg operated by NH. Second ticket is sold/operated by SQ(the website actually worked for me)

Comment

You can interline between NH and SQ. Show the SQ itinerary when you check in for the NH flight and ask for the bag to be tagged through to final destination.

Comment

Thought I would post an update. Thanks all for their input. Ended up at the Peninsula Excelsior in Clarke Quay.
                        Good choice...it is in a great location to explore the old part of Singapore and the waterfront. Transport to/from the airport will be very quick too.

Comment

Thought I would post an update. Thanks all for their input. Ended up at the Peninsula Excelsior in Clarke. )
                          If I recall correctly, there's a balcony in their business lounge, which have an excellent view of Boat Quay, and Parliament House. Useful especially if you're a diehard photographer, but also nice to see singapore's downtown skyline.

Comment

Thought I would post an update. Thanks all for their input. Ended up at the Peninsula Excelsior in Clarke Quay.
                            That's a decent location. Never stayed there myself but a mate, who is very well travelled, stays there every year and says really likes it. He is a fan of the lounge, but I didn't realise it had an outdoor balcony!.

Comment

I normally opted for the transit hotel (costs 70+ per 6 hours), however, I also use occassionally:
                              V Hotel Lavender (a rather cheap 4 star-hotel with easy access to Lavender MRT)
                              Ibis Bencoolen (also cheap)
                              Peninsula Excelsior
                              Queen St Hotel Royal (i forgot the exact name, it was cheap, but I think recently the price went up)

Comment

Working...
                              X