No announcement yet.

Jewel Changi Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the B-E skytrain a few days ago - interestingly enough it's a 3 coach train with 1 coach (front coach going from T2 to T3, rear from T3 to T2) locked out of use - and that coach has no platform screen doors airside. I assume that coach will eventually be opened for landside passengers - wait and see I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by nocturne View Post
      As wonderful as Jewel is, it will be interesting to see how well the business there performs.

I dropped by Jewel yesterday and aside from the eating outlets, many of the other shops were relatively empty.

Was the whole mall based on the transit traffic in Changi? If so, we hardly see many SQ flights that have longer than 5 hr connections and given that you need to exit immigration to access the facility, it becomes inconvenient.
      100% agreed. Once all the glitter settles and the general public get past the initial "wow", it would be interesting to see if Jewel can keep attracting the crowds. Most travellers first thought after getting off a plane is to go to a hotel or home to have a shower and get a good rest, so there goes most of your arrival crowd.

In a country that has a shopping mall at almost every MRT station, was a shopping mall really necessary ?
      Felt that the airport authorities could have made better use of that area by building a world class aviation musuem. Believe that area could fit at least one wide body jet(B707, A300), a few more smaller classic airplanes, actual engines on display. They could have partnered SIA and the various aviation organizations for artefacts. SIA could display their olden days cabin crew uniforms, accessories onboard etc etc. SIA actually has these at their training centre that is not open to public.

Charge a reasonable entrance fee and they could have made it into a destination itself. At a location at the foot of Singapore's aviation icon and they turn it into a another dime a dozen shopping centre with a water fountain.

Comment

There's a place called "Changi Experience Studio" on level 4 - it could probably be expanded into such a museum, since it looks like there's plenty of CAG propaganda there.

Realistically, a better place to exhibit old planes and all would be at Paya Lebar once the RSAF leaves.
        an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
          There's a place called "Changi Experience Studio" on level 4 - it could probably be expanded into such a museum, since it looks like there's plenty of CAG propaganda there.

Realistically, a better place to exhibit old planes and all would be at Paya Lebar once the RSAF leaves.
          No idea what Changi Experience studio would be like, but have got a strong feeling it would be like the now defunct aviation area at T3 viewing mall.

Paya Lebar could be a contender for such a museum but I'm sure the Government would have commercial use for that land.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
            Charge a reasonable entrance fee and they could have made it into a destination itself. At a location at the foot of Singapore's aviation icon and they turn it into a another dime a dozen shopping centre with a water fountain.

Which one you mean, the big one from the roof or the multitude that seems to spring up through the mall via either poor workmanship or poor materials?

It is a sad sight reflected in so many new builds, a really long punch list.

Comment

I understand Jewel is primarily targeted towards transit passengers (1/3rd of Singapore's passenger volume) by getting those who might otherwise simply opt for quick connecting flights to build in longer layovers and increase visitor arrivals. Jewel would be a microcosm of what Singapore has to offer, and encourage travelers to return for longer stays.

Completely anecdotal, but I attend a small private university in Pennsylvania where many have not heard of Singapore. However, I've had several friends who were in awe of Jewel after seeing videos on FB/Instagram, and have indicated they would love to visit the Avatar-esque dome. Of course, the primary attraction is the waterfall and architecture. Not so much the shopping and F&B, which seems to receive more coverage locally in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                No idea what Changi Experience studio would be like, but have got a strong feeling it would be like the now defunct aviation area at T3 viewing mall.

Paya Lebar could be a contender for such a museum but I'm sure the Government would have commercial use for that land.
                The other big pain is that we have no proper viewing malls. It could have been easily integrated into the Jewel design.

They also need to modernise the exterior of the control tower, it looks dated compared to everything else around it. As Iconic as it is, it could do with a face lift.

Comment

How much of an effort would it be to "reverse" Jewel so that it was open for transit-passengers and not the other way around? Meaning that you need to pass security to get access.

My guess is that Jewel would benefit from being available for all passengers in transit , more than being available for the general public.

Comment

I don't think so.

Firstly, Jewel's 1st floor is basically an extension of T1 landside. That space allows the T1 baggage hall to be expanded. (maybe T1 early check in could all be moved to Jewel as well? IDK)

Secondly, if you look at it from the perspective of the government, they need to boost tourist numbers. So even a three hour trip to Jewel counts towards the tourist numbers.
                    an infrastructure geek

Comment

Thanks for the pics, it does look pretty spectacular with the waterfall. I missed it by a couple of days but will check it out next time I pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                        Secondly, if you look at it from the perspective of the government, they need to boost tourist numbers. So even a three hour trip to Jewel counts towards the tourist numbers.
                        I get that from a warped bureaucratic perspective of achieving a number in a dataset, but I find it weird.

If I pass through immigration, eat a light meal and marvel at the waterfall and then pass back through immigration because I have a connecting flight, I don't see what is to be gained. There's no advantage to me by shopping there as I've got an airside duty free shopping centre in every terminal already. I rarely have more than 4 hours of transit time in SIN and I definitely don't want to spend any of it in an immigration queue, but if I do, the cost of processing me would have to be far greater than my spend in the country, let alone profit. The way I see it, Singapore doesn't benefit unless I leave the airport and head into the rest of the country. At that point I start needing to use transportation, most probably accommodation and may then visit other attractions.

I definitely get the idea of building it as a centrepiece to maintain dominance as a leading world transit airport, but then it should be airside. Lots of long haul passengers are just going to assume this anyway and then get disappointed when they land and don't have time to visit it.

Comment

They will just have to speed up the immigration process for transit passengers or come up with a special scheme for then specifically.

They will inevitably do this when the numbers don't meet their targets for Jewel.

Comment

I'm not sure if transit passengers are the main target segment for this project. Looking at the tenant mix (supermarket, cinema, etc), non-travelers are probably being equally (if not more) targeted. Jewel is going to be destination mall for Singaporeans, particularly those in the East.

So I won't count on this being a failure yet....pressure will be on other, older, malls in Eastern Singapore, like Tampines Mall. Capitaland (CAG's JV partner) is leading this project, and they're particularly savvy at adjusting tenant mix over time to make things work.

Having more transit passengers will help, but it will not make or break the success of this project. On the other hand, making the mall "airside" will be suicidal, unless they find a way to allow Singaporeans enter without a flight booking. I wouldn't mind bringing my passport along to catch a movie or pick up a carton of eggs.

Comment

Changi has always been more of an airport in a mall rather than a mall in an airport. In its most recent financial year, only 39% of its revenue was from airport and security services, compared to 59% for Heathrow. Jewel is probably just a progression of this trend.

I'm sure a PE type will suggest buying out CAG, shutting down the airport, and expanding the mall. Lol!

Comment

So has anyone try out the Changi Lounge at Jewel Changi?

Was wondering how's the refreshments and their offerings in Changi Lounge...

Comment

Working...
                                X