SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Singapore & Changi Airport

Old 16th April 2019, 12:15 AM   #91
Tonitan
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: Krisflyer,Privilege Club,Asia Miles,Flying Blue

Yes,yesterday’s screening operation was on the E gates. I got off SQ919 and my suspicion was aroused when free access is roped off to funnel pax in one direction only. Happened around 2045hrs. Quite unusual for E gates!
Tonitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 10:06 AM   #92
indo79
SQTalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
Another data point: got screened yesterday (Sunday 14 April 2019) coming off MI351 (PEN-SIN). Gate was E10.
got screened also 14th April coming off SQ959 from CGK. Parked at E11 and checks were across E5, next to the smoking room.
indo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2019, 05:21 PM   #93
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Does anyone else challenge the reason for these on arrival screenings ?. I do, and nobody has ever been able to give me a plausible reason for it. I just get 'security', I say I realise that, but security for what ?. I point out that all these pax have just completed their flight and everyone is either going home, to their hotel or to their next flight, where they get screened at the gate anyway, by the same organisation/department!! .

Its just a PITA box ticking exercise buried under the magic 'S' word.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:56 PM   #94
CarbonMan
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Does anyone else challenge the reason for these on arrival screenings ?. I do, and nobody has ever been able to give me a plausible reason for it. I just get 'security', I say I realise that, but security for what ?. I point out that all these pax have just completed their flight and everyone is either going home, to their hotel or to their next flight, where they get screened at the gate anyway, by the same organisation/department!! .

Its just a PITA box ticking exercise buried under the magic 'S' word.
I can only think of a couple of reasons:
1) It's because SIN terminals allow departing and arriving passengers to mix? I've always thought that that was the reason for it. I get check mostly when I fly in from IPH and KUL. Am not sure there's some pre-sumption that some airports' security can't be trusted to do a proper job.

But, of course, this doesn't jive with the fact that many departing passengers aren't checked coming into the terminal. That's a major hole.

One way to test this, is to ask if T4 does this similar checking for incoming passengers. I don't use T4 often enough to answer it.

2) They are preparing/training for a major security incident. They do the screening now and then to ensure that they are always ready should something happen.

My two cents.
CarbonMan is offline   Reply With Quote