No announcement yet.

The Comedy Awards Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't rate skylines purely by number of skyscrapers. For instance Istanbul has a fantastic, evocative, skyline - and happens to be low rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      All these contribute to making me always stop to catch my breath. It's still one of the most 'calming', yet spectacular views for me. It's when I look out from a hotel room over Bangkok late at night and take it in, that I feel quite 'at home' in my home away from home.

Righty-o, enough of waxing lyrical.
      That's the best description of the Bangkok skyline I've read.

But sorry, those features have never had such an impact on me, so Bangkok will remain off my subjective list.

This discussion just goes to show why 'Greatest Skyline' is a subjective matter that cannot be settled by some supposedly objective algorithm. Much more interesting, IMO, to hear subjective (hence lyrical) opinions that propose inclusions to the list, than to defend a ranking established by such an algorithm. (I'd have reacted differently if the list had been proposed as a strawman. )
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        That's the best description of the Bangkok skyline I've read.

But sorry, those features have never had such an impact on me, so Bangkok will remain off my subjective list.

This discussion just goes to show why 'Greatest Skyline' is a subjective matter that cannot be settled by some supposedly objective algorithm. Much more interesting, IMO, to hear subjective (hence lyrical) opinions that propose inclusions to the list, than to defend a ranking established by such an algorithm. (I'd have reacted differently if the list had been proposed as a strawman. )
        I'm not sure whether there's anyone here who is defending this ranking. It is a survey, just like any other that has been put out for further comments, analyses, a healthy debate and perhaps ostensibly - denigration, too.

This is just a survey, open to different perceptions, and if one chooses, it may be of no meaningful nor espousing as much importance or relevance as the threads/posts/views (and not forgetting the mother of all subjectivity - rating) counter on this website, which sets itself up as much as a strawman as this subjective survey.
        Last edited by Caravelle; 30 March 2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
          I'm not sure whether there's anyone here who is defending this ranking.
          My mistake then? It seemed to me that someone was defending (i.e., advocating the legitimacy of a POV, in this case, an algorithm) ...
          The Emporis annual ranking is actually quite scientific and hardly based on emotions.

As for Singapore, in my opinion, we have an interesting skyline comprising 4342 buildings (12 stories or higher) - perhaps boosted by the many HDB flats as well, still this puts it at No. 4 globally in terms of most number of skyscrapers.
          I'm OK that you defend the methodology. (Yes, you are definitely defending the ranking.) I myself defend a critique: that the algorithm used was too narrow and limiting to propose candidates for a 'Greatest Skylines' compilation.

Anyway, what I've learned from this thread is that I might be missing out on appreciating Bangkok's skyline. So I'll be more open the next time I'm there, and look for the points Kyo pointed out.

Armed with this insight (as well as the knowledge that there are folks who value the density count of floors completed per se), I'll move on ...
          Last edited by jjpb3; 29 March 2010, 03:16 PM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            My mistake then? It seemed to me that someone was defending (i.e., advocating the legitimacy of a POV, in this case, an algorithm) ...

I'm OK that you defend the methodology. (Yes, you are definitely defending the ranking.) I myself defend a critique: that the algorithm used was too narrow and limiting to propose candidates for a 'Greatest Skylines' compilation.

Anyway, what I've learned from this thread is that I might be missing out on appreciating Bangkok's skyline. So I'll be more open the next time I'm there, and look for the points Kyo pointed out.

Armed with this insight (as well as the knowledge that there are folks who value the density count of floors completed per se), I'll move on ...

Hey - It's only Monday! This healthy debate may just have juiced me out for the whole week.

Comment

All awards are bollox, end of.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                I don't rate skylines purely by number of skyscrapers. For instance Istanbul has a fantastic, evocative, skyline - and happens to be low rise.
                You are right. I am in love with Istanbul's skyline. I could just sit on the boat and at the pier for hours gazing at the changing colours of the sky and buildings.

Comment

Emporis.com

I've just sent an email to Stephan R. Boehm (CEO) Emporis and Brian Tonry (CMO) to inform them that discussions on their skyline annual ranking have been deemed suitable for inclusion in the Comedy Awards Thread on sqtalk.com. I'm sure they will be very amused.

http://corporate.emporis.com/?nav=themanagement&lng=3

Comment

I've just sent an email to Stephan R. Boehm (CEO) Emporis and Brian Tonry (CMO) to inform them that discussions on their skyline annual ranking have been deemed suitable for inclusion in the Comedy Awards Thread on sqtalk.com. I'm sure they will be very amused.

http://corporate.emporis.com/?nav=themanagement&lng=3
                    Well I'll certainly sleep tonight, and I would like to think Mr Whatstherename's will as well. Unless they are up all night giving out more useless awards

Comment

Worst airline? Australians make their choice

Worst airline? Australians make their choice:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...=1270019265409

http://www.choice.com.au/Reviews-and...%20survey.aspx

Comment

SIA is tops Down Under, survey shows

Deleted
                        Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Megatop;119261]SINGAPORE Airlines (SIA) has emerged the favourite international airline among Australians.
                          Australian consumer advocacy group survey result,( IF It matters)

1. Singapore Air
                          2. Japan airlines
                          3. Emirates
                          4, Etihad
                          5. Malayisa
                          6. Virgin

Newer airlines that rated well for value for money included AirAsia X to Malaysia and V Australia to the US, the survey found

Comment

Changi Airport wins cargo award for the 24th consecutive time

Changi Airport wins cargo award for the 24th consecutive time

SINGAPORE, 11 June 2010 – Singapore Changi Airport has been recognised by the global cargo industry as the Best Airport in Asia, an award Changi has won for a record 24th consecutive time. Changi has also consistently won this award every year since the award's inception. At the 24th Annual Asian Freight and Supply Chain Awards (AFSCA)ceremony held in Shanghai yesterday, the inaugural Best Green Service Provider – Airport award was also bestowed on Changi for its green initiatives.

The AFSCA awards honour outstanding companies for demonstrating leadership as well as consistency in service quality, innovation, customer relationship management and reliability. They are a result of an annual reader survey conducted by Cargonews Asia magazine, an established freight and logistics publication in the region. The awards are unique as they are based on votes cast by service users themselves. More than 13,500 readers of Cargonews Asia were polled to select the best service providers this year.

Changi Airport Group's Executive Vice President, Air Hub Development, Yam Kum Weng, said, "We are honoured to be recognised by our cargo and logistics partners for our efforts in building a conducive cargo operating environment and strong partnership at Changi. We will continue to work closely with them to identify new cargo growth opportunities and support their future plans in Singapore."

With these latest awards, Changi has won ten accolades thus far in 2010, taking its total tally to more than 350.

http://www.changiairport.com/our-bus...nsecutive-time

Comment

Changi wins six more 'Best Airport' Awards

Changi wins six more 'Best Airport' Awards

SINGAPORE: Singapore Changi Airport has been recognised for its continued excellence with six more 'Best Airport' awards.

They include recognition by leading travel publication, Business Traveller (UK).

Changi has received the recognition every single year since 1988.

Readers of Condé Nast Traveler (US) chose Changi Airport as the 'Best International Airport' for the seventh time in its 'Annual Business Travel Awards'.

Positive sentiments about Changi were echoed at the 'Business Traveller Asia-Pacific Awards 2010' by readers of Business Traveller Asia-Pacific, who chose Changi as the 'Best Airport in the World' for the 19th successive year.

The latest string of awards announced brings the total number won this year to 16.

Since its opening in 1981, Changi Airport has won more than 350 airport awards. - CNA/fa

Taken off Channelnewsasia website

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                                The latest string of awards announced brings the total number won this year to 16.
                                That's an absolute disgrace, they should have got at least 4709 since Easter.

Comment

Working...
                                X