Singapore Staycation Series 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nespresso coffees and TWG teas offered.

A selection of complimentary beverages offered in the fridge.

View of the living room.

Comfortable bedroom with king-sized bed.

Fantastic view of the bay from the room.

We proceeded for evening cocktails and canapes after some rest in the wonderful room.

Evening canapes selection, which similar to afternoon tea, is rotated daily.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Champagne, wines, cocktails and all alcoholic beverages were complimentary during the evening cocktail hours.

Evening canapes served, it it was all of good quality and tasty. Seconds and thirds could be requested, and it could easily fill you up as a proper dinner.

Cheers to the bay.

We also tested the club's specialty cocktails and mocktails, starting with the very refreshing Royal Blue Pacific.
      Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila, Cointreau, Blue Curacao, Lychee Syrup, Lemon Juice, Sprite

And a dense and fruity mocktail of Brain Shock.
      Coconut Syrup, Guava Juice, Pineapple Juice

Pausing to take in the dusk scenery.

Another refreshing mocktail, Flower For You.
      Elderflower Syrup, Mango Juice, Pineapple Juice, Lemon Juice, Soda

Ending with another specialty cocktail, Pepp's Berry.
      Vodka, Lemon Juice, Black Pepper Syrup, Fresh Ginger, Strawberry Jam, Ginger Ale

My Travel Map

Comment

A look at the club in the evening. Felt very classy with the soft, warm lighting.

Back to the room to admire the night view. I can really look at this view all night.....

After a very good rest, it was refreshing to wake up to this view.

Breakfast for all guests was served at The Edge. Pacific Club guests were directed to a separate seating area, where complimentary champagne was offered with breakfast. Otherwise, the breakfast was similar to the other guests.

We had to order via the online menu. Choices were pretty limited, not as extensive as what I had expected.

Last edited by ycp81; 26 January 2021, 12:16 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Starting with fruits, pastries, coffee, juice and of course a glass of champagne (why not, since it is a champagne breakfast).

Scrambled egg set

Nasi lemak

And a small serving of Belgium waffle.

Checked out the gym after breakfast. It was big and well-equipped, and totally empty during our visit.

There is a games area outside the gym.

And not forgetting grabbing a tan at the pool.

Just before we checked out, there was a sudden burst of downpour, which looked amazing from the room. The fury of nature....

It was an excellent stay at the Pan Pacific Singapore in the Pacific Harbour Studio. Definitely one of the best stays so far and well-recommended.

My Travel Map

Comment

#14 Mandarin Oriental Singapore

Mandarin Oriental Singapore
            Marina Bay View Room

Sticking to the theme of bay view hotels, my next stay is at the Mandarin Oriental Singapore.

Shaped like our iconic fan, Mandarin Oriental, Singapore is a five-star luxury hotel in Marina Bay. Only minutes from the central business district and with a choice of fabulous restaurants and fantastic rooms, we are the ultimate urban retreat.

Checking in at the lobby.

Beside the lobby were function rooms.

There is a Goddess of Mercy blessing the lift lobby.

True to the description, the hotel interior is shaped like a fan.

Booked the Marina Bay View room for this stay.

With floor-to-ceiling windows, these rooms offer breathtaking views of Marina Bay and the city skyline. Separated from bedrooms by a glass panel, bathrooms feature large baths, walk-in showers and wood panelled vanity areas.

Initially, we were wrongly allocated a twin room on a lower floor, but was reallocated a King room on a higher floor after feedbacking to the reception.

Entering the room.

Wardrobe with bathrobes, slippers and the usual.

At 34Sqm, the room size is not overly generous, but still relative spacious and cosy. Fittings are functional, though designs are not the most modern.

In the bedside table drawer are religious materials. Something not commonly found in newer hotels.

My Travel Map

Comment

As a MyMO member, I was gifted a tin of cookies.

Minibar area. Snacks and drinks are all chargable.

TWG teas and (horrors) instant coffees. I would expect Mandarin Oriental to provide Nespresso coffees, which are now the norm in many hotels of similar class.

Two complimentary bottles of sparkling fruit sodas offered.

Bathroom is pretty spacious, with separate tub and shower stall.

Amenities are house-branded for Mandarin Oriental hotels.

And as expected, the bay view is stunning, though I preferred the view from the previous Pan Pac stay a bit more due to the higher elevation.

My Travel Map

Comment

My room package was inclusive of a 3-course Epicurean Escapade dinner at Melt Cafe.

Melt Café is a sophisticated all-day-dining experience, where cultures and cuisines mingle. The restaurant presents guests with contemporary and stylish interiors, where a delightful patisserie counter takes centre stage.

Known for its extensive buffet presentations, the restaurant has a variety of stations to tempt diners. The main dining space is filled with light, which comes from the floor to ceiling windows and provides a welcoming ambience. Here diners will find a roast and carving corner, as well as the ever popular live gourmet stations, together with local and international delights. Guests can also dine alfresco during dinner, amidst lush greenery, while enjoying a delicious barbecue. Indoors, the award-winning pastry theatre provides for the perfect finale.

Dinner menu. As Melt Cafe is primarily a buffet restaurant, and hence we were offered the option to upgrade to the buffet at S48++ per pax. However as we were not too hungry, we stuck with the 3-course dinner.

Starting with some warm breads, Cream of Forest Mushroom and Garden Salad. The mushroom soup was very good!

For mains, we had the Braised Angus Beef Cheek, which was very tender and generous.

And the Farm Catch of the Day, which I recalled was a snapper. It was prepared well, but portion a tad small.

The highlight was the Hazelnut chocolate mousse dessert, which was simply heavenly!

Headed up to the room to catch the stunning view of the bay at night.

My Travel Map

Comment

Not related to the hotel, but we also visited the Christmas event, Walk of Lights, at Gardens by the Bay during our stay. Due to safe-distancing measures, we need to pre-select visit timeslots, and went later in the night at 930pm.

First attraction was the Walk of Lights.

Light installations

The dazzling field of lights against the Garden's backdrop was spectacular!

More light installations.

My Travel Map

Comment

Finale of the walk.

Next morning, breakfast was served at Melt Cafe. There was a bit of a queue to be seated.

Breakfast ala-carte buffet menu. There is no limit to the dishes you can order.

Starting with pastries and yoghurt.

Ham and cheese omelette with accompaniments.

Roti prata with chicken curry

Nasi lemak with fried chicken, fish otah and sambal egg

Dim sum basket

My Travel Map

Comment

Made a reservation for the gym. The gym is not too big, and only limited to 5 persons per use.

Unfortunately as the swimming pool was fully booked during my stay, I had no chance to use it. Though it looked very attractive indeed.

Before checking out, we ordered in-room dining.

https://photos.mandarinoriental.com/...857.1611846780

Ordered the Signature Maine Lobster Laksa and Signature Chef Santosh Murgh Chicken Briyani. Both were excellent dishes.

An overall comfortable stay. Pleasant and met expectations, but not too outstanding compared to other hotels of similar category.

My Travel Map

Comment

#15 Fairmont Singapore

Fairmont Singapore
                        Signature Suite

Next up, we headed to Fairmont Singapore for a stay during the Christmas Eve.

Embark on a unique and luxurious journey at Fairmont Singapore, located in the heart of the lion city. Ideally situated at the crossroads of Singapore’s central business districts, world-class shopping and entertainment, our award-winning hotel is conveniently located above the City Hall and Esplanade Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) train stations and a short 20-minute drive to Singapore Changi Airport.

Featuring 778 lavish guestrooms and suites, a collection of 13 distinctive restaurants and bars, over 108,000 square feet of prime event space and the indulgent Willow Stream Spa, Fairmont Singapore caters to the most astute traveler and offers the highest degree of pampering.

Only the North Tower was available for staycations as the South Tower is temporarily closed to support quarantined guests.

The South Tower of Fairmont Singapore has been temporarily converted to serve as a Stay Home Designated Facility (SDF). We are supporting the Singapore Government to help limit the community spread of the Covid-19, in rendering our assistance to returning Singaporeans and travellers entering Singapore on mandatory Stay Home Notices.

Arriving at the hotel lobby after half day of work, check-in was quick, which was helped by the online check-in done prior. There was a separate queue for guests who had checked in online.

Hotel info sheet provided. My stay was inclusive of breakfast, $100 dining credits and free parking.

The stay would be in a Signature Suite.

Indulge in the opulence of the spacious 56 sq. m Signature Suite. Donned in Peranakan-inspired accents, these suites are a statement to Singapore's heritage. With a spacious living area, intimate walk-in wardrobe and comprehensive suite of amenities, your stay is made more memorable by unrivalled views from the private balcony.

Headed to our room at the second highest floor of the North Tower. Entering the room was a hallway with the minibar.

Nespresso coffees and TWG teas provided.

Further up was the wardrobe with bath robes and slippers.

And the toilet, which is miserably small for a room of this size. There is no separate shower stall, only a shower over the bathtub.

Rose-scented Le Labo amenities provided.

The hallway opens up to a very spacious living area with workdesk, sofa, TV and a balcony. Decor is simplistic.

Welcome card and a care kit provided.

My Travel Map

Comment

A comfortable king-sized bed, with another balcony beside the bed.

Welcome gifts of postcard and decorative bookmarks. Haha, more suitable for foreign tourists rather than staycationers.

The bedside balcony looks towards the neighbouring office block, Padang, St Andrews Cathedral, CBD and Chijmes.

The main balcony at the living area has a more expansive view towards Orchard and Bugis areas.

Shortly after checking in, we did a quick workout at the Fitness Center. Entry into the Fitness Center can be registered at the Willow Spa reception.

The gym was spacious and well-equipped, almost similar to a full-fledged gym. And gym memberships are available for non-hotel guests too.

My Travel Map

Comment

The $100 dining credit inclusive in my staycation package was used at Prego for our Christmas Eve dinner. I had made a reservation way in advance, expecting the popular restaurant to be filled up on Xmas eve.

Be greeted by the alluring aromas of pizza baking in the wood-fired ovens, or the handcrafted Italian pastas made fresh daily. Food connoisseurs can indulge in a decadent selection of appetisers, cold cuts and Italian Cheeses, pizzas and pastas made from the freshest produce and ingredients sourced directly from Italy. Pair these delights with exquisite Italian wines or cocktails meticulously crafted from Prego’s new island bar.

We ordered from both the ala-carte and set menu.

https://www.menumodo.com/app.php/vie...lang=en&tags=h

Starting with some warm breads with olive oil and balsamic.

And a simple salad.

Gnocchetti di Patate Viola con Spinaci Novelli e Crema di Gorgonzola
                            Purple potato gnocchi, Baby spinach, Gorgonzola sauce
                            This was a simple and amazing pasta dish!

Pancetta di Maiale in "Porchetta"
                            Slow-roasted Pork Belly, Fennel seeds, Roasted pumpkin, Parsley, Sage oil
                            This was good, but a bit too herbalish for me.

Prego Pizza
                            Ham, Mushrooms, Sun-fried tomatoes, Mozzarella, Cream, Parmesan
                            The signature pizza of Prego. Classic and homely.

Ending with an excellent Tiramisu.

After dinner, we went on a short drive down Orchard Road to admire the Christmas lights. Bad idea as half the Singapore seemed to have the same idea, causing a massive jam along the stretch. Exited the busy stretch just as I entered it.

Back to the room and the view at night towards the CBD was beautiful.

My Travel Map

Comment

More spectacular city night lights from the balcony.

Next morning, breakfast was served at Prego as well. We were able to pre-order our choices online the day before. Menu available in the earlier Prego menu link.

We had an amazing breakfast spread. Quite easily one of the better hotel breakfasts available right now.

Blueberries and Chia Bircher Muesli

Hong Kong Famous 'Boat' Congee with Millet

French Boulangerie

Middle Eastern 'Impossible' Kofta

Went to the pool for a dip before check-out.
                              A landscaped pool area with 2 freeform outdoor pools is available at Level 8.

A very good stay at Fairmont for Christmas. Rooms are due for a renovation, and I understand they are newer renovated rooms at the South Tower which are temporarily closed for quarantined guests, which I would be keen to try in the near future.

My Travel Map

Comment

#16 Sofitel Singapore City Centre

Sofitel Singapore City Centre
                                Luxury Room

During the Christmas long weekend, we stayed at another hotel for a night, Sofitel Singapore City Centre.

French luxury and local cuisine in the world's most exciting city

Enter a realm of unparalleled luxury in the heart of Singapore's central business district. Sofitel Singapore City Centre stands tall above Tanjong Pagar MRT station, a superb location from which to discover the city's many virtues and attractions. Our 5-star hotel is perfect for meetings, conferences and weddings, with state-of-the-art technology and over 20,000 sq. ft. of flexible meeting spaces. Enjoy pool facilities and the 24-hour SoFit gym, as well as easy access to nearby Virgin Active.

For business or leisure, with family, friends or colleagues, be sure to take full advantage of our first-rate facilities and services. An interactive restaurant, a coffee lounge and a lobby bar welcome you all day for meals, light bites and beverages. The finest epicurean experiences await at Racines, where Gastronomie Française is on show alongside modern Chinese delights. 1864 and Coffea offer perfectly poured coffee, tea and cocktails.

The hotel is located in the Central Business District, right smack in between office towers. Hotel lobby is on the 5th storey of Guoco Towers. There are some interesting decor at the hotel lift lobby.

Check-in was fast and and info sheet was handed out.

The hotel lobby eatery 1864 was packed with guests enjoying its popular High Tea.

A couple of robots at the lobby, though I did not manage to catch it in action.

Headed up to the room at the 9th storey.

Upon entering the 38sqm Luxury King room.

Wardrobe with bathrobe

Safe, slippers and hair dryer

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X