SQTalkers in the shipping / maritime industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inkoherent View Post
    Wow, didn't see this thread earlier. I actually work in a public sector agency that deals with this industry!
    I can only think of one!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      Ok, what's going on here..... ????? Well, the ship is being elongated, the purpose being to increase cargo carrying capacity, which is cheaper and faster then building a new ship. How its done, is by cutting the ship into two and adding a new section in the middle, weld it up and off she goes, about a 60 days project.
      Interesting pictures, thanks. I'm currently working on a refinancing of a cruise company's fleet and part of the new funds will be used to pay for the lengthening and refurbishment of one of the vessels. Your pictures give me an idea of what fun and games will be involved for the ship (as opposed to just being for me words on paper)!

Comment

Few pictures

Just a few pics, taking the opportunity that the thread was just renamed (thanks!).

13,000tdw oil/chemical tanker ready for launching (S. Korea, 2006)

Same vessel being launched...

Many of the painters in small & larger yards are women - work conditions are hard...

Kids playing - and across is the world's second largest shipyard

Aframax tanker - rudder fit up during newbuilding stage

On the cherry picker grinding all day...

I think this is a shuttle tanker block

Wanna go in? We do, every day...

View of a cargo hold in a medium sized containership.

Ooops! Mistake! That's not a ship! Ah my god, I messed my jpg files! (hehe).
        Last edited by N_Architect; 12 July 2008, 04:07 PM. Reason: Uploaded pictures

Comment

the Sea Force has a really queer ahem appendage. haha. ok i know that's a bulbous bow. haha. nice pictures!

Comment

Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Maritime SQTalkers possible future meeting

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              One vote for 'maritime' meeting in SIN

Maybe a floating rather than flying meeting...

Anyone got any vessels floating around Sentosa?
              Originally posted by jhm View Post
              There are several criteria you could use, e.g.

Busiest ports in the world - depending on how you count, I believe this means SIN, AMS, PVG, HKG etc.

Great maritime nations - ATH springs to mind!

World's largest ship registries - somewhere like LCA is realistic to fly to. I think PTY, NAS and MAJ are fairly exotic and/or hard to reach for everyone. I don't want to visit ROB - it's the sort of place SQfg might visit!

Great shipbuilding nations - ICN or BUS would be the most obvious choices given the readership!
              Let us first see how many of us are around here:

MANFlyer
              kapitan
              jhm
              Kyo
              N_Architect
              LionCity

any others that I have not currently in mind should excuse me and please put your name forward

Three of the above have their base in SIN (if I'm not mistaken), MAN I suppose goes frequently through SIN (but also through LHR where jhm could be found).

I'll be here (ICN/PUS) till 08/2009, then I really don't know my whereabouts as I am already looking for something new and different (internally and externally), which may well be in SIN, HKG, Shanghai, Qatar or Hamburg / London. I really don't know at this stage, as I evaluate all alternative options and possibilities.

One thing I do know, though, is that I'll drop a note for you guys if you wanna meet when I make my first stopover in SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                Let us first see how many of us are around here:

MANFlyer
                kapitan
                jhm
                Kyo
                N_Architect
                LionCity

any others that I have not currently in mind should excuse me and please put your name forward

Three of the above have their base in SIN (if I'm not mistaken), MAN I suppose goes frequently through SIN (but also through LHR where jhm could be found).

I'll be here (ICN/PUS) till 08/2009, then I really don't know my whereabouts as I am already looking for something new and different (internally and externally), which may well be in SIN, HKG, Shanghai, Qatar or Hamburg / London. I really don't know at this stage, as I evaluate all alternative options and possibilities.

One thing I do know, though, is that I'll drop a note for you guys if you wanna meet when I make my first stopover in SIN.

Yeah, drop me a note if you are coming through Singapore. If I am not travelling, I will sure meet.
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Sure I will.

Comment

I have a few friends working in the shipping industry, but never knew what they did - this is very interesting! And the photos are fab. Man those ships are... HUGE.

Comment

Just came back from sea trials.

Does anybody think a TR on that subject would make sense?

(I could do it, but SQTalk is mostly a travel/aviation forum, so although a sea trials TR would indeed be 'different' this does not necessarily mean it will fit the context of these pages. Actually to be honest I don't think it does, and I reckon it's better if I post on my website sometime later, but it'd be nice to know what you guys think.)

Comment

Just came back from sea trials.

(I could do it, but SQTalk is mostly a travel/aviation forum, so although a sea trials TR would indeed be 'different' this does not necessarily mean it will fit the context of these pages. Actually to be honest I don't think it does, and I reckon it's better if I post on my website sometime later, but it'd be nice to know what you guys think.)
                        I'm only speaking for myself of course but I would certainly be interested (wherever you post it). I assume it's not quite as simple as loading up the ship with ballast, bunkers etc one morning; leaving the yard; revving up the engines to test out the maximum speed, fuel consumption etc; a few spins round an island and back home in time for lunch!

Comment

Sea trials last from two days (simple vessels, second to last vessel in a long series) to three weeks (gas trials for LNG carriers).

Usually it is two to five days on average, depending on yard and on type of ship. Offshore vessels/structures are different (avg 2 wks).

Series I'm handling at the moment is a simple containership (it may be 260m in length but there are no 'systems' in front of the accommodation block and on average there are much larger boxships than this one under construction at the moment).

I have a set of pictures from our latest sea trial, and could make a comprehensive TR (good on the fun side for people outside the industry, but also with technical info for people in our profession). Only problem is that it would (sadly) be best to avoid posting pictures with people having the yard logo on, and also pictures showing ships built in this yard. Reason is latest Korean industry anti-espionage law and general behavior of subject yard towards publicity.

Were you aware, jhm, of that law? It must be very interesting from a lawyers point of view. What they have done basically is to consider anything showing/containing industrial information as confidential and therefore its filing/use outside work premises is considered illegal.

I am waiting to see what will happen next summer (with regards to my new assignment - possible change of location and/or job function or even employer) and then I will have many interesting stories to share. And, of course, an extensive photo archive (that I've been holding on not to publish for so many months...)

All the above are one of the reasons I intend to leave South Korea in eight months. I am also considering writing a piece on an "expat's view/stay in South Korea for 3 1/2 yrs" (or smt like that anyway), with many photos of course.

Comment

I, for one, would be very interested in what you get to eat on board ship

And see the fully lie flat beds

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                              I, for one, would be very interested in what you get to eat on board ship

And see the fully lie flat beds
                              I will remember to take some food pictures and cabin comfort the next time I visit a ship....

Here's a dining room (or we call mess room) for an idea of what goes on onboard....
                              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                                I will remember to take some food pictures and cabin comfort the next time I visit a ship....
                                Till then, let me post few shots first...

Recently during sea trials, meal served in officers mess room (western choice) for Owners, Class and ships senior officers; the people from the yard have different menu, Korean, of course.

Salad:

Fries and garlic bread on the table (not served individually):

Soup of the day:

...and the main course: (spaghetti carbonara)

Apologies, I do not have a good picture of the dining room, but next time it'll be a complete TR (wait till you see the cabins we sleep in during trials...)

Modern containership (4,000+ TEU, 260m length):

Comment

Working...
                                X