Graffiti on MRT train makes headlines on ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    But since the moran had no respect for public property (is the MRT a public property?) and broke the rules in Singapore, he should be caned! Deservedly too.
    +1 I often think we'd be better off here in the UK if we had similar punishments to SIN, and indeed a system of National Service amongst other things.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      In the case of Michael Fay IIRC, the number of strokes was reduced as a result of the intervention by the US authorities.

Just so that people are aware that this is not a simple caning like in school, here are some somewhat graphic pictures and video of a judicial caning in Malaysia (the video shows the man's backside being turned into a bloody mess with each stroke):

http://www.corpun.com/vidju.htm
      It may have been the US govt. that got his strokes reduced, but ALL of the Americans I've talked to about this over the years thought he should have gotten MORE for what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
        +1 I often think we'd be better off here in the UK if we had similar punishments to SIN, and indeed a system of National Service amongst other things.
        post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

deleted
          Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
            The article also mentions more security cameras.

I think its no secret that ever since the privatisation of the transport companies, the goal is to maximise profits through any means possible.

I resent the fact that fares increase almost on a yearly basis and i wonder if i will hear complaints next of the company increasing fares excessively and justify it under " increased security needs".
            What is the point of putting more camera but no one behind reviewing it?
            Technology only help is there is people to manage it.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
              What is the point of putting more camera but no one behind reviewing it?
              Technology only help is there is people to manage it.
              Sounds like the place is a shambles over there. Do the staff actually do anything? 2 whole days to report it... Wouldn't be surprised if they got the wrong guy also, since banos and mckoy have both been busy painting trains in germany since this thing made all the locals SHOUT CANE HIM, JAIL HIM!!!

What a classic.. A small panel on a train and you all go ballistic.. Hate to see what happens to people who do real major crimes like rapes and murders over there if thats what you give vandals LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by graffiscool View Post
                Sounds like the place is a shambles over there. Do the staff actually do anything? 2 whole days to report it... Wouldn't be surprised if they got the wrong guy also, since banos and mckoy have both been busy painting trains in germany since this thing made all the locals SHOUT CANE HIM, JAIL HIM!!!

What a classic.. A small panel on a train and you all go ballistic.. Hate to see what happens to people who do real major crimes like rapes and murders over there if thats what you give vandals LOL...
                You missed the point. If you look at the news and the comments people give, the key thing people are talking about is the fact that someone could cut the fence, get in and have some fun with the trains. What if someone cut the fence got to the trains and planted bombs in a few of them?

That's what Singaporeans are talking about- security lapses. This is just graffiti but it does call into question the security around such installations. This is what's being reviewed

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                  You missed the point. If you look at the news and the comments people give, the key thing people are talking about is the fact that someone could cut the fence, get in and have some fun with the trains. What if someone cut the fence got to the trains and planted bombs in a few of them?

That's what Singaporeans are talking about- security lapses. This is just graffiti but it does call into question the security around such installations. This is what's being reviewed

I have been reading the news, as much as i can, and alot of people are saying about the security yeah, but alot are mentioning the art too, and how nice it was compared to the boring dull trains and stations you have there. It's an interesting case, as also mentioned in the peoples blogs and comments from Singapore they refer to a case of a Romanian who apparently killed someone in Sing then got away and has not been caught since, and the government wonts interpol to catch a guy or 2 guys who painted on a train and extradite them from just about anywhere in the world? Did i mention a Romanian murderer? They forget about him? Why care so much for some vandals compared to a killer? Because the security flaws got drawn to attention?
                  The laws seem very odd there if you care so much about vandals and not so much at all about killings/murders/rapes. Do you get the point?

Comment

Ithey refer to a case of a Romanian who apparently killed someone in Sing then got away and has not been caught since, and the government wonts interpol to catch a guy or 2 guys who painted on a train and extradite them from just about anywhere in the world? Did i mention a Romanian murderer? They forget about him? Why care so much for some vandals compared to a killer? Because the security flaws got drawn to attention?
                    The laws seem very odd there if you care so much about vandals and not so much at all about killings/murders/rapes. Do you get the point?
                    i think if you spend sometime google-ing, you'll find
                    a. the SGP Govt did not forget the Romanian diplomat (i'll leave the courts to decide if he's guilty of hit-and-run, and wont use 'murderer'), and the Foreign Affairs Ministry is involved with talks with the Romanian Govt and EU diplomatic missions in SGP;

b. laws on homicides and rape (not to mention other sexual crimes) cannot be compared with vandalism; if one is convicted of murder, the punishment is death by hanging; if one is convicted of rape, there is a mandatory 6 strokes of the cane, and the judge has discretion to impose more, on top of the custodial sentence.

the point couple of guys here are making is that SGP's laws are strict, for a variety of reasons, and not to be trifled with.

Comment

I have been reading the news, as much as i can, and alot of people are saying about the security yeah, but alot are mentioning the art too, and how nice it was compared to the boring dull trains and stations you have there. It's an interesting case, as also mentioned in the peoples blogs and comments from Singapore they refer to a case of a Romanian who apparently killed someone in Sing then got away and has not been caught since, and the government wonts interpol to catch a guy or 2 guys who painted on a train and extradite them from just about anywhere in the world? Did i mention a Romanian murderer? They forget about him? Why care so much for some vandals compared to a killer? Because the security flaws got drawn to attention?
                      You got it wrong again. "That Romanian guy" was not someone off the streets- he was from the Romanian Embassy so he has Diplomatic Immunity.

In case you don't know what Diplomatic Immunity is, it allows diplomats to be shielded from the laws of the county they are working in. It is an international agreement, not something Singapore grants. By right, our Foreign Ministry has no right to ask for him back. But they pursued it- they tried to argue that he shouldn't have immunity at the time (after work) the hit-and-run happened and they broke the chain of command by trying to get Interpol to put him on the wanted list but it didn't work. They are trying to negotiate with the Romanian government the last I heard. Its really up to the Romanian government now but it is still being pursued.

Comment

Graffiti does not art make...

graffiscool, perhaps a quick read of the Vienna Convention (Article's 31 & 32 - for those playing at home) will help with your understanding of why the alleged romanian "murderer" is free to roam the streets...
                        Last edited by Gunnar Smithsen; 22 June 2010, 07:33 PM.

Comment

deleted
                          Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                            ...NEVER question UNCLE SAM.
                            Why would you not question the United States regarding a graffiti incident in S'pore?
                            HUGE AL

Comment

deleted
                              Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Sounds like Singapore Government is a terrible terrible terrible government and does not treat its natives fairly and very bad. Perhaps one should make emigration plans.
                                Last edited by LionCity; 23 June 2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X