Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
    Well, then sue me. I really do not understand the mindset here. As you said op is asking "advise". I have put an assumption in my reply. If I am the only one who replied and did not.check the assumption, then you pissed with me?

I personally made a booking at Sofitel Sukhumvit this weekend. It was a road closure at Asoke and like street market. But other than that every thing is as per normal. Of course there may be a risk that someone open a fire or even throw a bomb. Well anyway, I do not want to carry on with this. If my post is not appreciated then it is fine. No need to saying that this is ridiculous and especially the previous indecent is more on personal opinion.

Anyway FYI as of today, Asoke interchange has been reopened. And I was told likewise for other protest side with the exception of lumpini. Again I only passed through Asoke, so I am.not 100% sure about the rest, but that's what I heard people are talking here.

I believe there are many people who knows the information net tree r than me.
    Congratulations. Rather than leave it at the point where most people thought you had made youself look silly enough, you come back to dig a bit more. Well done.

This thread has been around since 2007 offering people who are regular visitors to Bangkok, and of sane mind, to post their experiences of Hotels there and for people looking for sensible advice to ask for it. That is where the thread will now return to.

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
      I thought now the protest moves to Lumpini area, make it Silom or Sathorn is very near proximity.

Recomend hotels around Asoke area. You can have many choices (Westin, Sheraton, 4points, Sofitel, even S15).

BTS/MRT is stone away.

You can go to HealthLand just behind Terminal 21, there are also some other massage establishment in soi 19

Assuming that the protest is camping at Lumpini, Asoke is quite a distance from it.
      Apologies for the late reply; Given that the Ratchadamnoen protest site is still functioning it's still very much in an area that is "unpredictable". The VIE would be a bit close for comfort.

Sathorn (or should I say South Sathorn) i.e from W down (BTS Chong Nonsi) is out of the way, same with Silom anything past the Narathiwat intersection would be suitable...

Having a look around at some of the hotels that I'd have expected the Crowne Plaza Lumpini to be offering uber cheap rooms - but currently around the 4000 baht mark. Guess it's filled with foreign media?

Novotel Bangkok Fenix Silom 1900 baht including tax - not a bad deal - IMHO...

Comment

• I prefer IC in Bangkok...good service, stay there every time!

Comment

• With the State of Emergency lifted, how is the situation on the ground recently?

I'm looking for a place to kick it after emerging from the pollution of SH. Rates here are looking more palatable than any place else in the region -- Phils was booking at USD$300.

Is the SGS back to normal yet, or are they still renovating? Did Hyatt open the lounge?
          HUGE AL

Comment

• Things in Bangkok really are back to normal except for the one protest site left.

The SGS is still renovating so upgrades to Suites very rare but otherwise you would not know the work is going on. Bar Su and Rossini's are still closed.

Comment

• Im giving hilton sukhumvit a go next month. See how it is as a hilton gold
              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Just stayed at Renaissance Ratchaprasong. It was really convenient and great, plus fantastic room rates too!
                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  Things in Bangkok really are back to normal except for the one protest site left.

The SGS is still renovating so upgrades to Suites very rare but otherwise you would not know the work is going on. Bar Su and Rossini's are still closed.
                  Hmmm...so I guess Hyatt it is.

I thought Rossini's is holding a wine dinner on the 27th. Is that their grand re-opening?
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    With the State of Emergency lifted, how is the situation on the ground recently?

I'm looking for a place to kick it after emerging from the pollution of SH. Rates here are looking more palatable than any place else in the region -- Phils was booking at USD$300.

Is the SGS back to normal yet, or are they still renovating? Did Hyatt open the lounge?
                    The SGS is still quiet, or was when Lobster and I were there a couple of weeks ago. Having said that neither of us got a Suite.

BarSu is, or was, still closed but to be honest that place seems to be really struggling recently so I am not sure how much longer it would survive in it's present form. All the original team have gone, as have most of the good ones that came in recently. They have also cut back on the nights the band play. Living Room has been quiet as well, but it has been next to a protest site for a number of weeks.

The new lounge in the Hyatt is very nice, and they advise that they are going to replace the new glass tables with smaller ones which will improve things as they are definitely too big.

Comment

• Had a wonderful stay at the Peninsula Bangkok over the weekend.

Great food, Great service, Great spa amenities and facilities and it was nice being on the river. Little things like a free glass of freshly squeezed juice for my daughter when we were swimming one morning made the stay a little more special.

Had breakfast at the Shangri-la across the river one of the days and it was ok, more resort kind of feel there.

The other morning, had breakfast at the MO also across the river and it was a good experience.

Comment

• It IS far from everything, but I do like the Pen also.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          It IS far from everything, but I do like the Pen also.
                          I can see why

Comment

First stage of upgrade is finished apparently, but now they are starting on the Suites, which they claim to have been short of hence the lack of upgrades. Looks like they'll still be hard to come by, so I may have to keep alternating between here and the Hyatt for a while longer. All subject to when the next batch of sillyness starts of course, which surely won't be long....

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, has completed the renovation of its Grande and Premier Rooms.

The renovation is the first of two phases which later will also see the hotel’s Luxury rooms and Luxury suites undergo a renovation.

Each beautiful room is the work of talented Australian designer, Diana Simpson, and has been furnished and decorated in a contemporary Thai style that draws from a palette of richly colored woods, marble, and gold and pastel tones to create a relaxed, sophisticated personal space.

The interiors are further enriched by furnishing and décor imported from Italy and America, fabrics and upholstery from India and Sri Lanka, gold colored headboards printed with authentic Thai decorative motifs, and engaging local artworks and antiques.

Additional enhancements to the fresh new look include dark wenge finishing to the timber, walk-in closets, spacious bathrooms, new sheer colored drapes from the Saint Moritz Sati collection, and carpets.

In keeping with the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit’s commitment to reducing energy use for a more sustainable future, all standard lights have been replaced with high efficiency LED lighting.

Guests of the 45 square-metre Grande Rooms will be able to enjoy the signature Luxury Collection bed, dressed in 300 thread count cotton sheets and topped with a lightweight duvet, and plump feather pillows or soft hypoallergenic pillows. The marble floored bathroom features a generous vanity area, separate bathtub and a large shower with Thai bathroom toiletries by Thann. The Grande Rooms feature a 40” flat screen Samsung LED TV with an IPTV option, a dedicated media hub with HDMi, Bluetooth and a USB port, and 60 mbps high-speed internet access with seamless connectivity for up to three devices.

Each of the 45 square-meter Premier Rooms feature a large window that boasts a panoramic view of Lake Ratchada or Bangkok’s glittering skyline. The rooms have opulent interiors with artful and indigenous design accents, dark wood furnishings and the worldly Luxury Collection bed for an indulgent night’s sleep. The upholstered sofa chair and ottoman creates an inviting reading corner opposite a spacious work desk, conveniently equipped with wired and wireless high-speed internet access. Generous and inviting bathrooms with a bathtub and shower also provide natural body care amenities from Thann. Premier Room guests will also benefit from complimentary broadband and wireless 60 mbps high-speed internet access.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              First stage of upgrade is finished apparently, but now they are starting on the Suites, which they claim to have been short of hence the lack of upgrades. Looks like they'll still be hard to come by, so I may have to keep alternating between here and the Hyatt for a while longer. All subject to when the next batch of sillyness starts of course, which surely won't be long....
                              I'm sure they were doing the Grande Suites as they were going along. I think this is referring to specialty suites. However I'm sure they will use it as an excuse to not upgrade for as long as possible.

Anyway I'm there at the end of this month so I'll keep my fingers crossed for an upgrade.

Comment

Anyway I'm there at the end of this month so I'll keep my fingers crossed for an upgrade.
                                How long for? You've dropped off the radar! Whereabouts nowadays are you based? Drop by SIN sometime and feel free to PM on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X