No announcement yet.

Surprising Shenzhen via SilkAir and SQ Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlike the way up, the flight back to Singapore was via Hong Kong on SQ. SQ offers through check-in from Shenzhen Shekou Port to SIN via HKIA. Shekou port was about 40min cab ride from my hotel at Futian. It was a rather big and new ferry and cruise terminal.

There were designated check-in counters for the various airlines which offers through check-in from ferry onto the connecting flight at HKG. Baggage were tagged and sent all the way to SIN via HKG. Boarding passes were also issued.

Cleared departure immigration and security and headed towards the ferry boarding gate. I would be traveling in 'First' class on the ferry. There was a separate waiting area for First class passengers, but the seats were not much different than the rest, just with a leather padding. Also, segregation of the First class area and the others were not enforced.

Boarding of ferry commenced. First Class was on the upper deck, and it was more of a lounge-style seating. Nothing too fanciful.

There was an attendant who offered a choice of drinks and snacks.

My selection, and no, we were not allowed to have more than 1 drink and snack per person.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

If the complimentary snack and drink is insufficient, there are more choices available for purchase.

It was only a 30min ferry ride to HKIA and very soon we docked at HKIA's Skypier, which was connected to the main terminal via an underground people mover. Went to the SQ desks at Skypier to request for my bags to be priority-tagged (they can't do it in Shekou), and also changed my colourless boarding pass to the signature blue-trimmed Business Class boarding pass. You can also claim the HKG airport tax-refund as technically, you are only transiting in HKG.

After security and a short ride on the people mover, we were at the main terminal building where we did a bit of shopping for local snacks.

Weather was wet and gloomy today.

Headed to Silver Kris Lounge before departure.

Upon entry, there was an attended bar.

Lounging area.

And the dining area.

The buffet spread was decent.

Cold beverages in the fridge.

My Travel Map

Comment

Hot finger food and dimsum.

Salads and desserts.

Selection of hot dishes, including served-to-order wonton noodles and laksa which can be ordered from the lounge staff.

Interesting soy beancurd station.

Selection from the buffet. The spread was pretty decent, with the cook-to-order choices a bonus.

Headed to the gate where our Dreamliner was already prepared for departure. The flight was downgraded from the B773ER due to the reduced premium seat demand over the holiday season, hence offering less premium seats and more economy seats.

My Travel Map

Comment

29 December 2019
          Singapore Airlines
          SQ 865
          Hong Kong (HKG) - Singapore (SIN)
          B787-10
          9V-SCE
          Business Class
          Flight Time: 3H33M

Boarding had already commenced. There was only one aerobridge in use. Newspapers and economy earphones were available at the door.

Welcomed at the door and turned left into the Business Class cabin with the New Regional Business Class seats.

View of my seat. Pillow and blanket already placed on each seat.

As there was a family at the last 2 rows and with the Business cabinbeing half empty, I moved forward to row 17.

Noise-cancelling headphones already placed in the side compartment.

Inflight literature and menu. The January selection of the IFE and Silver Kris mag were already loaded.

Starting (and also the last on the flight) with a hot towel.

Followed by a glass of Laurent-Perrier La Cuvee Brut.

My Travel Map

Comment

Another cabin view before we pushed back. Load factor was about 50% in Business. Economy seemed rather busy though.

Pushed back and safety video played, followed by the instructional video for the New Business Class seats.

It was a lengthy taxi to the runway due to bad weather and a long line of departures.

Started on my IFE selection in the meantime.

Finally departed about half hour behind schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbKtn38jcE

As the seatbelt signs were turned on due to the bad weather, my requested Mocha could not be served. Hence requested for a non-alcoholic cocktail of Midsummer Breeze, which was served with a pack of mixed nuts.

Lets take a look at the menu for the flight.

Selection for the SQ866 SIN-HKG sector.

My Travel Map

Comment

And of course the elaborate beverage list.

After the seatbelt signs were switched off, I visited the lav, which was clean and well-stocked with the usual amenities.

My mocha was delivered shortly after.

And dinner serviced commenced.

My Travel Map

Comment

Starter was a marinated prawn salad with citrus dressing. The prawns were fresh but I am not a fan of the sourish dressing.

Assorted bakery items were offered.

For the main, I chose the Roast Duck soup noodles, which was tasty and warming. The portion of duck meat was substantial as well.

Strawberry ice-cream for dessert.

Followed by a selection of cheeses and fruits.

Meal service in progress.

My friend has the Shi Quan Wei Mei Chinese cuisine, which started with a selection of Chinese appetisers.

Main was a delicious Pork Ribs with pumpkin rice.

Ending with a Roasted Walnut soup, which was weirdly served cold. Normally such Chinese dessert soups are served warm, though the IFM did kindly offer to warm it up if we would want to.

My Travel Map

Comment

Ending with a cup of Maofeng tea and praline.

1.5hrs to go, and spent the rest of the flight surfing the IFE selection.

Cosy empty cabin.

We were soon approaching Singapore.

Landing on Rwy02L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wD4QL82K_Y

High humidity outside and windows all fogged up as we taxied to Terminal 3.

Last view of my seat before disembarking.

At the last B-gate of Terminal 3.

A standard SQ Business Class affair on this flight. Though the IFM was friendly and more personable, the rest of the more junior 'blues' lacked personality and engagement. Not that the service was not good, just that it was more of a 'touch-and-go' type of service delivery with nothing memorable. Overall, an SQ-average (SQ's average may be higher than other airlines' average) business class experience.

My Travel Map

Comment

Excellent TR overall.

Definitely liked your pictures of MI and SQ’s 787 which I’ll be flying in July to MAA, and would definitely love to experiment with the dimmable shades.

Amazing pictures of Shenzen and Guangzhou. Looks like a very vibrant city

Comment

Working...
                    X