SQ "new regional" J vs TG "not so new" J vs UA "new" J, a personal thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ "new regional" J vs TG "not so new" J vs UA "new" J, a personal thought

As the tittle said it, this is my personal experience with this 3 airlines in one trip. For me, it's interesting to compare 3 different rating of airlines. The "highly rated" SQ compare to the "mediocore" TG and even to the "more mediocore" UA.
    The result not as the rating said. But it's just in my personal thought.

Those flights were the main parts of my last Feb short trip to SYD and HKG.

SUB-SIN on MI (another story)
    SIN-SYD on SQ231 B77A
    SYD-BNE-BKK on TG452 A346
    BKK-HKG on TG600 B744(old) (another story)
    HKG-SIN UA895 B744
    SIN-SUB on MI (another story)

Looking forward to it and glad to see you back also!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Looking forward to it and glad to see you back also!
      Thanks Kyo (or Kyo+ ? ).
      Glad there's someone "missing" me...

Comment

'another story' is also interesting to read about.
        cheers.

Comment

Part I: The Lounge

Maybe it's a little bit unfair for UA, because HKG Red Carpet lounge is not their home base lounge, but from my limited experience with their home base lounges back in US, HKG's lounge can be their flagship lounge.

SQ J lounge at SIN T3 (Silver Kris Lounge aka SKL).

SQ flagship lounge at SIN T3 has everything that needed and expected from a business class lounge.
          Ample space and comfy seats.
          Good quality and choices of food (cold and hot)
          Decent or even nice choices of drink, alcoholic and non alcoholic (they have full range of TWG tea here).
          Decent shower room and amenities.
          Ample of working stations (mac and window) and free wifi.
          Good reading items choices.
          Got the "lux" feeling.

Downside:
          No napping room, considering this is SQ home base, a lot of their paxs have a long connection here.
          Separate toilet and shower room (I found this can be bothersome for some people including me).
          Last edited by Dent@SUB; 4 March 2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meremale View Post
            'another story' is also interesting to read about.
            cheers.
            will try to make a TR for them later... (in another story... )

Comment

TG J Lounge at BKK concourse C (Royal Silk Lounge)

At first, I went to the Royal Silk Lounge at Concourse D, which is the largest among the 4 Royal Silk Lounges. But been told that no shower facility at that lounge. The staff over there advised me to go to the Royal Silk Lounge at concourse C.
              Desperately needed a shower after the red eye flight from SYD, I went to the Royal Silk Lounge at concourse C.
              And here are the lounge overview:

Some thought for this "secondary" lounge:
              Limited space (acceptable as a "secondary" lounge after the big one at concourse D)
              Limited food and drink choices (RSL at concourse D has better selection)
              Sufficient working station with functional PC
              A very nice shower room with a very nice THANN amenities (tried to buy this THANN products at the airport duty free shops, but couldn't find one... )
              A very nice slumber room (really help for a long connecting paxs)

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                A very nice shower room with a very nice THANN amenities (tried to buy this THANN products at the airport duty free shops, but couldn't find one... )
                Great TR so far.

BTW, there's a Thann shop at ION Orchard (in case you were wondering).

Comment

There are Thann (and Harnn) shops in BKK city, e.g. Central World and Paragon, but this brand is very much focused on the export market. You'll find them opening more stores throughout the region and interestingly, they've started using Thann creams in the toilets of TG J and F (particularly the red/silver-coloured Aromatic Rice variety at the moment). I'm surprised the airport doesn't sell any but I can't remember the last time I bought something from King Power other than a Hugo Boss scarf at Suvarnabhumi in December. Duty free is not cheap in this airport...

Comment

Thanks globetrekker84 and kyo for the information...
                    That's really help...

Comment

UA J Lounge at HKG (The Red Carpet Club Lounge)

Personal thought about this "remote" RCC lounge:
                      Ample space and airy feeling
                      Decent and comfort sitting area
                      Decent food and drinks choices (they have Ice Cream here.. )
                      Decent shower facilities with decent amenities (H2O)
                      Decent reading choices
                      Free local call...

Considering this is just an UA "remote station" lounge, the facilities are quite good, even if we compare them to the UA RCC back to the their home base in US.

Comment

My personal conclusion for the " J Lounge Battle"

Space: SQ wins
                        Shower room: TG wins
                        Napping room: TG wins (TG is the only contestant )
                        F & B : SQ wins
                        Airy feeling: UA wins
                        Comfort: SQ and UA win
                        Overall conclusion: SQ J lounge beats TG and UA J lounges.

Next: the seats.

Comment

Interesting 'battle' comparison! However I think if you consider lounges within the same airport, UA puts up quite a strong fight in HKG (to me, better than SQ and TG, actually).

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Interesting 'battle' comparison! However I think if you consider lounges within the same airport, UA puts up quite a strong fight in HKG (to me, better than SQ and TG, actually).
                            Yup... I'm agree with you, Kyo. UA put a lot of effort for this HKG RCC, even much better compare to their home base RCC back in the US.
                            For HKG lounges, sure UA beats TG even SQ (the old one, not sure for the new one, never been there yet).
                            I must admit it, this "battle" kinda unfair for UA, because HKG is not their home base. But compare to their home base lounges, this HKG RCC lounge surpass most of their home base RCC.

Comment

I don't mind the TG lounge at Hong Kong, love it for the views of the tarmac, unlike the SQ lounge which has views of absolutely nothing
                              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                              X