X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dedication To The B747: SIN-NRT-SIN In Raffles Class

Introduction

9V-SPM

We only just got back from Japan Dec 2010 and were not planning to return till December 2011.

NRT is a good place to meet before we head to the ski slopes of Hokkaido ( some flying in from JFK ).

However, I received an offer from PPS of a free night stay at Shangri La Tokyo ( offer good till end of January 2011 ) so my wife and I made our excuses and went for it.

Her excuse: Tokyo Winter Sales.

Mine? An opportunity to explore the environs around JR Tokyo Station. For while we have visited TYO many times, we always stay in the same area: Shinjuku or Roppongi Hills.

Of course, no TR is complete without a calorie run.

This will also be my last time on SQ12/11 Raffles Class. In March, it goes A380.

This trip took place last month so momentum will not be as fast as usual
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 June 2011, 02:52 PM.

Wonderful! A TR to look forward to Spacebed TRs are rare these days...

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      A TR to look forward to Spacebed TRs are rare these days...
      Indeed. And I'm writing from the main deck, not upper. I prefer main deck for the spaciousness.
      And it tends to fill up last.

Changi

Departure formalities proceeded without incident. We boarded through door 1L..
      Nice welcome from the CS who showed us to our seats

... 24AC. The air con was on full blast and the CS ensured that I didn't get wet from "cabin rain" by coming round regularly to wipe the condensation from the vents above the windows. Once airborne the problem resolved

I had a great seat to view the take off..

Air Force!

Pulau Ubin..

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 February 2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Tribute To SpaceBed

I began to record the details around me for posterity

View from my seat.

Well rehearsed ritual for me. Sennheiser pouch in one pocket, camera in the other

View of 24C. I put blankets or reading material in cubby hole next to feet..

.. meant for shoes, as our neighbour across the aisle demonstrates

IFE & Seat Controls. That single purple switch beside my thumb allows seat adjustment through upright/lounge/sleep modes.
        3 buttons are needed on A333!

This is a substantial ( heavy ) table compared to the A333 one

Armrests drop down to make a wider bed..

Reading lights. Still better than 77W/A380/A333.

I have to say that I prefer the New Business Class for long haul travel now

But if SQ stuck me with a SpaceBed, you get no complaints from me!

Time to eat....
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 February 2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Our Lunch Menu & My Choices

Western

Japanese

Satay

Accompanying wines..

Salmon..

Prawns..

Ice cream..

Cheeses & fruits..

Anyone interested in NRT-LAX menu for Jan PM me & I put it up

Comment

Upper Deck

After lunch, I took a stroll to record some pics of the upper deck

Stairway to Heaven for some. Not me!

Door 2R

Note the galley under the stairs that serves Main Deck Raffles Class

Upper deck with snacks laid out above staircase

Watched:
            • Social Network. Great, great movie.
            • You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger. Just about forgiven Woody Allen for his transgression
            • Megamind. There seem to be a proliferation of animated movies. I love them

It was an exceptionally smooth flight all the way into NRT.

Towards the end, the Captain warned us to expect turbulence as we went through the clouds but he found hole through

About to make landfall on final approach..

It was dark by the time we landed.

A good landing. No thump on touch down. Just the sound of the wheels rolling..
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 February 2011, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Wonderful Trip Report !
              Can't wait for the rest !
              It's quite sad that i wouldn't be able to be in a 744 to Japan anymore

Comment

Thanks for this, 9V-SIA.
                The 744 is a great aircraft -- loads of memories (mostly good) on it.
                In my school days, SQ6/5 were my regular flights + the few CGK flights served by the 744 back then. After I finished school, lots of my work trips involved flying on the Megatop as well.
                The only thing I don't like about the SQ 744 in general - is the upper deck updated overhead bins. They don't look good & feel sturdy enough. The CX B744 version is better.

I hope to be able to fly one long haul trip on the Megatop before it is retired by the airline.

Comment

Let's hope SQ will bring on the 747-8 with the recent launch...

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                  Thanks for this, 9V-SIA.
                  The 744 is a great aircraft -- loads of memories (mostly good) on it.
                  In my school days, SQ6/5 were my regular flights + the few CGK flights served by the 744 back then. After I finished school, lots of my work trips involved flying on the Megatop as well.
                  The only thing I don't like about the SQ 744 in general - is the upper deck updated overhead bins. They don't look good & feel sturdy enough. The CX B744 version is better.

I hope to be able to fly one long haul trip on the Megatop before it is retired by the airline.

Comment

Thanks for the TR.

For me I have no specific attachment to the Spacebed, it being a "relatively" new product, and one we can still fly for some time on -SV*...

The 747 era on SQ predates the Spacebed by decades, and its ending is something rather more sentimental.

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                      Wonderful Trip Report !
                      Can't wait for the rest !
                      Thanks.

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                      Thanks for this, 9V-SIA.
                      Welcome. I'll miss her. More beautiful than A380. And that tapered nose in F...

Originally posted by KevSQ View Post
                      Let's hope SQ will bring on the 747-8 with the recent launch...
                      I console myself to the fact that I can fly LH or KA for my 747 fix next time.
                      They ordered 748s..

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      Thanks for the TR.

For me I have no specific attachment to the Spacebed, it being a "relatively" new product, and one we can still fly for some time on -SV*...
                      The significance of the SpaceBed for me is that it was the first lie flat business class seat for SQ
                      albeit angled lie flat.
                      BA however was the first airline to offer lie flat business class, I think.
                      I remember some legal wrangle over copyright infringement.

The 747 era on SQ predates the Spacebed by decades, and its ending is something rather more sentimental.
                      Indeed almost since SQ's birth in 1972, 747s have served in it's fleet
                      1. 747-200 Super B
                      2. 747-300 Big Tops
                      3. 747-400 Megatops

So very sentimental memories of travel on all of them ( in Y though! )
                      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 February 2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

NRT
                        Clearance through NRT was quick.
                        No other flights at immigration so seems like a nice time to arrive then.
                        We took the Airport Limo service ( actually a bus ) as we only had a 5 minute wait for the bus.

Bad move. Although it was a Sunday, traffic as we neared TYO was horrendous and it took us 2 hours to arrive at our hotel: Hyatt Regency Tokyo.

I know I said at the start we were going to try Shangri La Tokyo but I couldn't resist a mattress run.

In future, I'll be taking N'Ex to TYO. Or try HND as gateway to TYO.
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 February 2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories, 9V-SIA Makes me itch for a NRT run.

I will sure miss the megatops when they're gone... No more saver redemptions on a nice F product! (unless, SQ becomes generous)

Comment

Hyatt Regency

Lobby

Reception, to the left of the entrance, is behind the floral arrangement at the far end. Concierge to the left

Initially low ceilinged..

... but expands into a soaring 7 story? atrium around which the more expensive rooms are clustered.

Pictures are hard to take because of that giant chandelier which dominates the space and messed with my camera settings.

From breakfast room ( complimentary for Hyatt members )

Lift shafts to the left of chandelier. Seats arranged for function the next day

My Room

Adequate room. I'm not Hyatt Diamond so no upgrade. But higher floor promises good view..

Tiny bathroom not nice at all

Views from my room

The next morning, I'm rewarded by this beautiful view.

In the distance, Mt Fuji can be seen... early in the morning.

Below me is Shinjuku-Chuo Park. A lot of homeless there..

Exteriors

Hyatt Regency is an L shaped building on a square footprint

My room location

Front of hotel ( note the part in shadow with 3 lift shafts rising from atrium ). Office block in sunlight

View from Shinjuku-Chuo Park ( office block on left, HR on right )

Map to Shinjuku station Triangular shaped station with East, West & South Entrances

Park Hyatt at top border of Shinjuku-Chuo Park
                            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 February 2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Compared to Nikko Hotel at Odaiba, Hyatt seems so weak. Should budget permits, I would definitely recommend Nikko Hotel Odiba anyday. Great service, great views! Can you imagine they allowed early check in at 10am... (from early SQ HND flights).
                              Last edited by SQTalked; 21 February 2011, 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X