SQ117 KUL-SIN in SIA's Regional A350 Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post

Thanks for sharing the info, yuuka_miya! I might lay a couple of Krisworld magazines in the aisle on a future trip to estimate aisle width!

Comment

I recall during the couple of trips I made during the initial orientation period when SQ flew the 787s SIN-KUL-SIN, the crew would bump the drinks cart against the seats. Won't be surprised that this was due to the narrower aisles and the crew were not used to the narrower aisles and ended up knocking the carts against the seats as a result.

Comment

Great TR yflyer. Liked your in depth analysis of SQ's 359R. Looking at the size from the eyepoint they look very similar to CX's Y-class seats on the 359, 35K and the 10-across 77W which i have flown on.

The seats do look acceptable for short haul and regional flights but if it was a longer flight that would be a nightmare.

Just an observation on maps/IFE - Completely different than the 78X and the 3
        longhaul 350, 359ULH and 77W. Wifi appears to be the same as some of the existing 77Ws seem to be getting.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
          Great TR yflyer.
          Thanks, SQfanatic!

The seats do look acceptable for short haul and regional flights but if it was a longer flight that would be a nightmare.
          Actually I think the SQ A359 regional Y seats are good enough for long haul. A 3-3-3 Y config looks fine on the A350 for SIN-LHR or even SIN-SFO. They are nice and wide, and recline is good too. They certainly recline more than the UA 789 Y seats which United uses on their non-stop SIN-SFO sector!

The only thing that differentiates SQ's regional A359 Y seat from long haul is the absence of a footrest, which is installed on Y seats on SQ's long haul planes. Some people either don't use or don't like the footrests, but I personally find them very helpful to get into a comfortable resting/sleeping position.

Looking at the size from the eyepoint they look very similar to CX's Y-class seats on the 359, 35K and the 10-across 77W which i have flown on.
          The CX A359 Y seat is comfortable, but looks to be a different seat frame. The CX Y seat on the A359 that I flew to HKG some time back had a major flaw though: it has no hard backing, which meant you could clearly feel the knees of the person behind you.

I believe the CX A35K has a different Y seat, so hopefully that issue has been fixed there. Not sure if CX has fitted later A359's with a seat with a harder back, or whether they all still have the soft seat back.

Don't know about the CX 10 abreast 77W seat as I have not tried it, but I've yet to try a 10-abreast 777 config that I liked!
          Last edited by yflyer; 28 April 2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
            I recall during the couple of trips I made during the initial orientation period when SQ flew the 787s SIN-KUL-SIN, the crew would bump the drinks cart against the seats. Won't be surprised that this was due to the narrower aisles and the crew were not used to the narrower aisles and ended up knocking the carts against the seats as a result.
            I am amazed that they managed to make the aisles narrower. Most aircraft aisles are so narrow to begin with! I must take a closer look next time...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Don't know about the CX 10 abreast 77W seat as I have not tried it, but I've yet to try a 10-abreast 777 config that I liked!
              My uneducated guess is that the new CX 777 seats are the same model as (or a variant of) the 2017 SQ Y seat.

Comment

Did a little Googling...the new SQ Y seat on the 787 is based on the Recaro CL3710 seat, and it is likely that the A350 regional Y seat is also based on the same frame.

Recaro Press Release on the SQ 787 seat here.

SQ Press release on the regional A350 here, which also mentions Recaro as the supplier for the regional Y seat.

Some articles online, such as this AusBT article also mentioned CX 10-abreast Y seats on the 777 were also made by Recaro, so a340-313x looks like you are right there!

What I find quite remarkable is the extent the same seat frame can be customized for different airlines. The SQ seat looks quite different from the CX seat, although they are based on the same Recaro seat frame.

Comment

Working...
                X