Andaz Singapore to open 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andaz Singapore to open 2017

Saw an article about this in the BT this week. 340 rooms and to be located in Ophir-Rochor area as part of 'the DUO mixed development', wherever and whatever that is ?

Be nice to have a second option in the city.

It's quite close to the IC, and there's a second IC coming too, in Robertson Rd I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
      It's quite close to the IC, and there's a second IC coming too, in Robertson Rd I believe.
      You are correct ... the Robertson Quay IC takes over what used to be the Gallery Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Saw an article about this in the BT this week. 340 rooms and to be located in Ophir-Rochor area as part of 'the DUO mixed development', wherever and whatever that is ?

This will be an interesting development.

The DUO mixed development in Ophir is a huge plot of land, next to Parkview Square (the gotham looking building) and this land has been given to a Malaysia-led consortium (Khazanah and Temasek) as part of the swop when Malaysia agreed to give up the railway station and tracks in Singapore, back to Singapore.

The DUO development includes offices, residences, retail, and now the Andaz Hotel, and will stretch the boundaries of the CBD further out to the Rochor area which has been up to now, B-grade.

Along with the iconic South Beach Hotel opening in April 2015, which will be the next hip thing in town, the whole Beach Road area will be interesting to watch going forward.

Comment

This appears to be in quite a different area. How does it compare to Orchard/Scotts intersection the GH is at?
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            This appears to be in quite a different area. How does it compare to Orchard/Scotts intersection the GH is at?
            BH vs. Culver City?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              BH vs. Culver City?

OK, THAT I can relate to.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Does this mean the ERP gantries will now shifted outwards, ie. CBD extended further? I sometimes park at the Parkview Square side road while waiting for the gantry lights to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Second option? What are you counting and not counting as your first option?

Within Starwood, I like both the Westin and StR, although they're very different. I won't stay in the Sheraton.

It's sad to hear the the Gallery Hotel is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                    Second option? What are you counting and not counting as your first option?
                    I am counting the only other Hyatt in the country, unless you know of another other than the GH ?.

Within Starwood, I like both the Westin and StR, although they're very different. I won't stay in the Sheraton.
                    Agree with you about the Sheraton, it's awful. I am not a fan of the StR either though. Westin is fine.

Comment

Just stayed at this place for the first time.

The location will take a bit of getting used to, not least for taxis as none of the drivers used over the last 24 hours knew of it and getting a taxi to come back to Changi meant a 20 minute wait. It is right above Bugis MRT, which is a plus for getting around but I know another SQTalker who stayed there during the new products launch has already declared it no good and gone back to the GH.

The actual hotel itself is very nice, as you would expect from a brand new property. I got a triple upgrade to an 'Andaz Large Suite', and was the first guest to stay in one, so they said, as they were only handed over to revenue a few days ago. I have to say it was a spectacular place, but so big it was somewhat wasted on a single person on a one night stay, although the latter point is probably why I got it in the first place.

We had a few drinks in their Rooftop Bar, Mr Stork, last night and that was a pleasant enough place with very nice views. If the Korean bar staff had a better command of English they may have managed to sell more drinks. The dining set up is slightly strange with a number of separate places to choose, which is somewhat object defeating when the one you choose is then announced as closed as the moment as the staff are working in one of the other places.

All in all it's a decent second option for Hyatt members in Singapore, which is long overdue to be honest. Would I start staying there instead of the GH ?. I am sure I will, occasionally, and definitely if I will got one of those Andaz Large Suites every time. But that decision rests as much on what Hyatt decides to do with their loyalty programme going forward because at the moment they seem to be doing their level best to piss many of us off. It also depends what Starwood/Marriott do with their programme as well.

Comment

Did staycation last weekend at Andaz

We liked it but also noted
                        the Korean staff were not too fluent in English

The food was ok
                        though we didn’t understand the need for 5 small restaurants with 5 small menus
                        instead of one big restaurant with an extensive menu

Theme of interior design is old Emerald Hill style shophouses

It’s not an area we frequently visit so enjoyed exploring
                        Kampung Glam & Beach Road

It’s part of Duo mixed development and connected to Bugis Junction
                        and MRT by underground passageways. Always good when it rains

Had to pay for parking even as a guest

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          The food was ok though we didn’t understand the need for 5 small restaurants with 5 small menus instead of one big restaurant with an extensive menu
                          Indeed. I think they are trying to be a bit too cool for school with the current set-up and its just annoying.

Comment

I see it's designed by the bloke behind the Upper House in Hong Kong.

Didn't know the property is opening this quickly, and have already made a non-refundable booking at a boutique hotel on Keong Saik Road for our visit. Oh well. Love the area around Bugis and Chinatown which is an excellent fit for the Andaz brand - great F&B options and funky cocktail bars.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 December 2017, 11:24 AM.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I recently spent a weekend at the Andaz Singapore. Coverage in a TR here!

Comment

Working...
                              X