Whats happening at EK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats happening at EK?

Does EK have a large surplus of 777? They have 11 in storage at the moment.

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
    Does EK have a large surplus of 777? They have 11 in storage at the moment.
    All I know (or at least heard) is they have lots of 77W. They are after all one of the biggest operators of the 77W, and they still have more on order. They got rid of their 772, and some of their 773 are going to CX soon.

Comment

Doesn't answer my question though.

Comment

I hear that EK are storing 8 A380s and upto 40 77W aircraft between now an October.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          I hear that EK are storing 8 A380s and upto 40 77W aircraft between now an October.
          it appears that the falcons have come home to roost

Comment

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
            it appears that the falcons have come home to roost
            The faster they rise...

Comment

I've read/heard several times that it is because of a pilot shortage due to either retirement or because of the working conditions for pilots within the airline. Don't know whether it is true or not though.
              Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

There's an EK A380 currently "stored" in a very odd place- at the north of MEL near where one of the runway taxi lanes curves around at the end (I know, I need to learn correct descriptions of runway architecture!) and it's been there some time now. I saw it on June 22, 23 and 30. It's hard to miss.

I can't find any info as to why it's there and other aviation enthusiasts I know in Melbourne are also clueless. Anyone follow EK closely and have a lead? The plane is literally stranded at an edge of the airport, nowhere near any stands, hangars or facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  There's an EK A380 currently "stored" in a very odd place- at the north of MEL near where one of the runway taxi lanes curves around at the end (I know, I need to learn correct descriptions of runway architecture!) and it's been there some time now. I saw it on June 22, 23 and 30. It's hard to miss.

I can't find any info as to why it's there and other aviation enthusiasts I know in Melbourne are also clueless. Anyone follow EK closely and have a lead? The plane is literally stranded at an edge of the airport, nowhere near any stands, hangars or facilities.
                  Four weeks later, it's still there. A massive A380 parked way out near the end of the northern runway, looking like an abandoned car.

Comment

Do you have the registration of the EK A380 stored in MEL?
                    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Could it be due to DXB runway works? They have temporary cut frequencies on a lot of routes because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                        Do you have the registration of the EK A380 stored in MEL?
                        Unfortunately, no. It's parked so far out that you'd have to get lucky and have your plane taxi right past it to see. It's the bizarre location that it's in which puzzles me most.
                        Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                        Could it be due to DXB runway works? They have temporary cut frequencies on a lot of routes because of this.
                        I guess it could make sense that they are looking for parking space around the world.

I have determined where it seems to be parked and here is a link: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37....!3m1!1e3?hl=en
                        I'm surprised anything can be parked out on a runway system though. I have always just assumed that places like these needed to be kept clear for operational safety. An A380 is a somewhat large obstacle! I'm also having another guess here, that one wouldn't park an A380 on grass, especially during winter, meaning it would have to be on some form of tarmac? I'm not an expert with these requirements in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          I have determined where it seems to be parked and here is a link: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37....!3m1!1e3?hl=en
                          I'm surprised anything can be parked out on a runway system though. I have always just assumed that places like these needed to be kept clear for operational safety. An A380 is a somewhat large obstacle! I'm also having another guess here, that one wouldn't park an A380 on grass, especially during winter, meaning it would have to be on some form of tarmac? I'm not an expert with these requirements in any way.
                          Are you referring to this EK A388 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4WAuspLZA&t=520s at 8:34??

Comment

Originally posted by msndelevium View Post
                            Are you referring to this EK A388 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4WAuspLZA&t=520s at 8:34??
                            Yes, that's the one!

Comment

Originally posted by msndelevium View Post
                              Parked strategically. All they need to do is hang a "For Sale" sign on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X