World Cup 2018!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup 2018!

This has been a pleasant distraction in recent days...thought I would start a thread on this topic here...

I've watched the opening matches out of SG and some of this weeks' in various hotel rooms and hotel bars, including yesterday's Japan-Colombia and Senegal-Poland games.

Unfortunately I missed the Brazil-Switzerland and Germany-Mexico ties as I was inflight.

Some amazing upsets so far!

On PPRuNe some pilots are upset that an emergency radio frequency 121.5 is being used to share football results...

I'm sure some Lufthansa pilots would have considered Germany's first game an emergency situation...

It's been a good tournament so far, and we came very close to losing those pesky Germans last night.

I can't help thinking that 95th minute goal may be the turning point for them, again..

England played OK for half an hour fin the irst game, but I have a feeling we'll be back to the old days of struggling to break down a team sat back later today. We'll see..

Belgium look the best so far.

Comment

it's been interesting, so far

stamina and staying power is paramount

even for us viewers not on Russian timezones

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        It's been a good tournament so far, and we came very close to losing those pesky Germans last night.
        I hope Germany (And Brazil) don't depend on 90th minute / extra time miracles to get them through the tournament...

But it all makes for gripping viewing, though!

England played OK for half an hour fin the irst game, but I have a feeling we'll be back to the old days of struggling to break down a team sat back later today. We'll see..
        Against Panama, they made it look easy...

Belgium look the best so far.
        I was very impressed with Uruguay's performance yesterday.

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
        stamina and staying power is paramount

even for us viewers not on Russian timezones
        And tonight we will also need 2 pairs of eyes in each head! Tough decisions today deciding what matches to watch...
        Last edited by yflyer; 26 June 2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Amazing World Cup so far...

Lufthansa, Aerolineas Argentinas, TAP, and now Iberia, who else is going "PAN, PAN, PAN"...

If I were going to go to a bookmaker these days, I would bet on Uruguay...there are stars out there, but who's playing as a team? Uruguay!
          Last edited by yflyer; 2 July 2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Yes been one of the best world cups so far, so many exciting games

Comment

while on the subject of the world cup, does anyone remember this song from the '90 world cup? it just popped back into my head after all these years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA

nice article about the song, published just recently

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-hook-14820750

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Amazing World Cup so far...

Lufthansa, Aerolineas Argentinas, TAP, and now Iberia, who else is going "PAN, PAN, PAN"...

If I were going to go to a bookmaker these days, I would bet on Uruguay...there are stars out there, but who's playing as a team? Uruguay!
                We can also now add JAL and Aeromexico to the list...

And yes, Uruguay is definitely a good bet.

while on the subject of the world cup, does anyone remember this song from the '90 world cup? it just popped back into my head after all these years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA

nice article about the song, published just recently

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-hook-14820750
                I was visiting the UK that year, and do indeed remember this song playing frequently.

However, it wasn't until years later when I found out that it had a connection to the World Cup.

Comment

Close shave for Speedbird!

Incredible how many goals are being scored in in the final minutes of matches.

As a side note, was in Delhi again recently, and they were screening the matches on various TV screens in the airside departure area, as well as in the Lufthansa Lounge.

Interestingly there still isn't a whole lot of interest in the World Cup among the locals in India -- mainly it's the foreigners and visitors who are glued to the screens here. I asked my colleague about it and he said that was because India wasn't in the finals, and cricket is the big sport there.

Was in the LH Lounge again earlier this week, just in time to watch Brazil score their 2nd goal, before heading to the gate to catch SQ403 home.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Interestingly there still isn't a whole lot of interest in the World Cup among the locals in India -- mainly it's the foreigners and visitors who are glued to the screens here. I asked my colleague about it and he said that was because India wasn't in the finals, and cricket is the big sport there.
                    india actually qualified for the '50 world cup in brazil, two years after the '48 summer olympics where they narrowly lost to france in a game where most of their players played barefoot

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-barefoot.html

Comment

india actually qualified for the '50 world cup in brazil, two years after the '48 summer olympics where they narrowly lost to france in a game where most of their players played barefoot

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-barefoot.html
                      What a fascinating article...thanks for sharing, saobangpo!

Comment

Speedbird has now flown farther than it has in many years!

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                          Speedbird has now flown farther than it has in many years!
                          Yes, very impressive...alas it seemed that they were on final approach to land but had to go around, and then divert. Might be a years long delay before they make it home to LHR!

AF on collision course with Croatia Airlines now...

Comment

And Air France it is! Powered by 4 incredible engines: Mbappé, Griezmann, Pogba and Giroud...

But Modrić and team were impressive too...what an inspiration to their country...If GoT wasn't enough, I think the World Cup will inspire many to visit Croatia in coming years...

Comment

And Air France it is! Powered by 4 incredible engines: Mbappé, Griezmann, Pogba and Giroud...

But Modrić and team were impressive too...what an inspiration to their country...If GoT wasn't enough, I think the World Cup will inspire many to visit Croatia in coming years...
                              Giroud ? Think he was more of an APU.

Comment

Working...
                              X