No announcement yet.

[MERGED] Continental to join Star Alliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fall, Continental will join Star Alliance and also begin to cooperate closely with United Airlines, linking our networks and services worldwide to deliver new benefits to our customers. Continental will end its participation in SkyTeam after our last scheduled flight on Oct. 24, 2009.

We expect to begin participating in Star Alliance on Oct. 27, 2009.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../alliance.aspx

Comment

They have some ridiculous business fares to europe from the states in the months of november and december which is very timely for those collect miles on star alliance.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...nessfirst.aspx

As low as 1130USD for a roundtrip travel during the thanksgiving period in November.

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
        As low as 1130USD for a roundtrip travel during the thanksgiving period in November.
        Agreed. Continental is the one who has sparked the fare war during the holidays for the past couple years.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Star Alliance chart now out:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...tion=OPChanges

Not too bad, as things go. Business Class from Europe to SE Asia for 120K (wish the requirement were lower), Business Class within SE Asia for 30K .

(Real availability not taken into account in this post.)
          Last edited by jjpb3; 11 September 2009, 05:38 AM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks jjpb3

SIN-North Asia (excl Japan) in C is only 30K miles

Comment

MERGED Continental to join Star Alliance

Interesting... This winter break Ill be flying Continental non-stop to Hong Kong from Newark instead of United from OHare non-stop. Nice to know they are joining Star Alliance as well...

-AJ

Comment

Now I look at Continental with a different attitude
                haha

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  Thanks jjpb3

SIN-North Asia (excl Japan) in C is only 30K miles
                  Isn't UA MP at 30K miles for C too? http://www.unitedairlines.com.sg/cor...pace_chart.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                    Isn't UA MP at 30K miles for C too? http://www.unitedairlines.com.sg/cor...pace_chart.pdf
                    Yes, the changes to OP are generally to bring it in alignment with MP. But the difference is, CO has said that it will not engage in Starnet blocking. The effective redemption rates may thus be different, depending on one's status and travel plans.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

It's great that CO are now part of *A!

My BD year ends soon and I don't have many/any free weekends to do a MR to the US to maintain my status. Last night, I thought why not go this weekend so I checked CO fares to EWR.

For travel in only 2 days time, I was happy to find that they still sell deeply discounted L (giving x1 on BD), so I booked - £320 all inclusive for LHR-EWR r/t in Y; leave tomorrow morning at a civilised time; dinner and an overnight; and back home on Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        AI will almost certainly be joining *A before CO
                        Were there bets placed on this prophecy?

Comment

Even what was, at the time, the longest time to join an alliance after being confirmed, was not long enough for AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                            Even what was, at the time, the longest time to join an alliance after being confirmed, was not long enough for AI.
                            So you wagered against your own prophecy?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              It's great that CO are now part of *A!

My BD year ends soon and I don't have many/any free weekends to do a MR to the US to maintain my status. Last night, I thought why not go this weekend so I checked CO fares to EWR.

For travel in only 2 days time, I was happy to find that they still sell deeply discounted L (giving x1 on BD), so I booked - £320 all inclusive for LHR-EWR r/t in Y; leave tomorrow morning at a civilised time; dinner and an overnight; and back home on Sunday night.
                              CO was excellent. I haven't taken many flights on US carriers (Y/J/F on UA; F on AA; and now Y on CO - all trans-Atlantic; and a domestic AA F) and perhaps I've been lucky but I can't see what all the fuss is about.

With CO, I liked:

* in-seat power for all seats in Y (although I believe this depends on the plane type)!

* good IFE including on my o/b (772ER) about 40-50 films just in the "world movies" category!

* a drinks round after each meal (as well as before and during) (not like this on BA at least)

* I tend not to drink alcohol on planes so have no problem at all with their policy of charging for alcohol in Y

* friendly service (I don't need the crew to look good)

* the lady at the EWR lounge who was very welcoming and even gave me a little tour of the facilities

* the food was nowhere near SQ Y standards (as I remember them) but it was light and I thought it was tasty (for airline food)

* of course as a *G the whole experience was made even more pleasant with priority check-in/boarding and lounge access

For what I paid 2 days before travel, it was a bargain but even if it was more, I wouldn't hesitate to take CO again for a quick trip to NYC (19 hours there; plus 14 hours of flying).
                              Last edited by jhm; 26 January 2010, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                CO was excellent. I haven't taken many flights on US carriers (Y/J/F on UA; F on AA; and now Y on CO) and perhaps I've been lucky but I can't see what all the fuss is about.
                                Started taking US carriers (all in Y domestic and transatlantic) in the last two years or so, and I don't know what the fuss is all about too!

Comment

Working...
                                X